Corruption and Scandal in Football

James

As things are starting to spread beyond Allardyce, thought it would be worth having an own thread for all the football scandals rather than dilute our glee at Allardyce's failure.

So then, the Telegraph tonight....

Cardiff look fucked over not reporting unusual payments on Ravel Morrison....

I'm not sure if it belongs here but a succession of Sunderland managers have complained of massive issues behind the scenes there.

Cooking the books?

Would sound majestic with a wearside accent if nothing else :thup:

I'm not sure if it belongs here but a succession of Sunderland managers have complained of massive issues behind the scenes there.

Cooking the books?

Would sound majestic with a wearside accent if nothing else :thup:

Kewkin the bewks

There's a ridiculous amount of money sploshing about in the Premier League and the sums mentioned don't seem particularly excessive (in the context of things), £4k a month bung? That's £48k a year, a fair wedge don't get me wrong but I just wonder what's going on with those who are a bit smarter than bog sam. Tip of the iceberg stuff

There's a ridiculous amount of money sploshing about in the Premier League and the sums mentioned don't seem particularly excessive (in the context of things), £4k a month bung? That's £48k a year, a fair wedge don't get me wrong but I just wonder what's going on with those who are a bit smarter than bog sam. Tip of the iceberg stuff

That was just for a single player though, they implied he had a few of them on the go.  Probably picked up hundreds of thousands if he's been doing it for a while.

That was just for a single player though, they implied he had a few of them on the go.  Probably picked up hundreds of thousands if he's been doing it for a while.

Yeah true, maybe I'm wrong I just think it's a different order of magnitude to the sort of corruption that could exist. I mean, Sam, Redknapp, Pearson et all hardly strike me as criminal masterminds either

They aren't that bright though. If you were earning say 50k being a middle manager somewhere, and an opportunity came up to earn an extra 25k per year, was a bit shady but as far as you can see you wouldn't get caught, a lot of people would be tempted.

And it's clearly been happening a long, long time. With hardly anyone getting caught. The other guys say they've been doing it for years and years, no repercussions, you can see how people get involved.

Obviously daft, greedy and immoral, but you can see how it would become quite common.

They aren't that bright though. If you were earning say 50k being a middle manager somewhere, and an opportunity came up to earn an extra 25k per year, was a bit shady but as far as you can see you wouldn't get caught, a lot of people would be tempted.

And it's clearly been happening a long, long time. With hardly anyone getting caught. The other guys say they've been doing it for years and years, no repercussions, you can see how people get involved.

Obviously daft, greedy and immoral, but you can see how it would become quite common.

Yeah, but one of these people will feel a huge financial benefit, the other is greedy and a millionaire. I can't speak for millionaires, but in this current climate I'd understand the middle manager giving it a go rather than the international football manager.

Although both a scum really. Fuck 'em.

May be worth mentioning this bit from this article (albeit the source is Joey Bartons book lol)

He should not expect a great deal of sympathy but in the grand scheme of managerial scandals it is certainly a few notches down from the passage in Joey Barton’s newly released autobiography about the “creative accounting” of one manager (though not one, he says, he ever played under) whose “speciality was making late substitutions on the understanding his assistant would later collect a percentage of the player’s match fee”. That manager, according to Barton, was infamous for giving homegrown players their debuts, sometimes just for a few minutes, so the academy director would collect a bonus, to be split again. The manager would re-sign players he had worked with at other clubs and take a cut from them, too – paid monthly, and invariably in cash.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/sep/27/sam-allardyce-arrogant-clot-england-manager