Preston North End 1-2 Newcastle United - 29/10/16 - post match reaction from p17

Greg

How was the performance then, anyone there? First half sounded fairly s**** based on SSN, didn't hear anything else.

I was there. First half was shocking. We basically took our chances.

We battled hard and showed we can win ugly, which is great.

At game:sat with Preston fans: as above

Same as every other away game I've seen this season (I wasn't at qpr). Safety first, gamble that they'll make a mistake before we do. 9 times out of 10 he'll be right. First half in particular we struggled to adapt to not having Gayles pace up front and couldn't get out of our half at times. Second half we controlled the tempo a bit better, but it was tight at the end. PNE will be pushing for the playoffs I reckon.

The ref was basically out of his depth throughout. Gave them everything throughout most of the match bit apparently has then denied them a blatant pen in the 10th minute of the 6 minutes injury time he played. Ritchies booking was the result of an absolute swan-dive from their centre back, yet again making a mockery of the idea this league would be "too physical" for us!!

How long can poor refereeing go on without the FA acting on it.

I have refereed myself, I know it can be tough, but jesus not that tough. All you've to do is keep fit and make sure you get 8 hours sleep the night before your game so you're alert and focused and your ability to recognise fouls isnt all over the place like these English League jokers. If you work hard and do everything you can to stay alert you'll have a good game and there will be no problems. These English League refs can't do that.

Darlow was very good today BTW, he's brave as f***.

He does all the less glamorous aspects of goalkeeping extremely well, apart from distribution. He'll only get better and better too.

Yeah, spot on.

He got clattered s couple of times today but didn't stop coming, he was very good all game.

Looking at the stats, we played a lot more long balls than usual. I know Mitro was playing but was it a case of they made us play that way? Seems strange because we've been knocking it around really nicely for a few weeks now and Mitro is probably better at linking play with his feet than his head (not that he's bad at that).

Looking at the stats, we played a lot more long balls than usual. I know Mitro was playing but was it a case of they made us play that way? Seems strange because we've been knocking it around really nicely for a few weeks now and Mitro is probably better at linking play with his feet than his head (not that he's bad at that).

Sounds like were off the boil and Preston played really well, doubt we were instructed to keep hoofing it.

Still, only saw the 2nd half but I thought we looked the more dangerous tbh. Until They scored anyway. Poor first half though from what I hear.

Yedlin and Ritchie don't cover themselves in glory for their goal

Nah, it's a good ball by their bloke to the guy on the overlap. Lascelles shouldn't be letting his man get in front of him like that imo. Ritchie looks absolutely fucked by that point and kinda leaves Yedlin in a tough position.

Pitch is different to ours, set up for their long ball game and throws. Good that we can adapt and also win ugly as well as stylish plus having Rafa's ability to set up bespoke teams puts us in a very good place.

It should never have been 6 minutes added on, never mind 40 minutes or whatever extra the ref c*** put on.

The ref gave them hope with that added on time while we got nervous. It's natural that it happens when there's suddenly alot more time left than expected. The ref can go fuck himself.

They seem a tad delusional, tbh. They'd rather have Ben Pearson than Shelvey 'on current form'. Strange folk.

Edit: And now the XI today would've beaten our team in midweek. Yeah, that's how football works :lol:

"Would have him over 70k a week Shelvey."

:lol: aye mate, you'd have him over the best player of the side top of the league. Makes loads of sense that.

Just seen the "blatant" penalty. I've seen them given and probably more often not given. When I think of blatant not given penalties I think we've got more to complain about than just about any other side.

M.Gray is one biased bitter mackem like. Understable though considering what's going on.