Sexual Abuse in Football

Tooj

Pretty sure I just said this, ours was over-keen on nakedness, I just thought it was weird at the time, but that was the way it was, early 70s, there was looking, but no touching, thank fuck.

Gannin back a few years, Mrs n is still traumatised by what her teacher did to her when she was 15. :lol: I was gonna take the fucker out when she told me. Honest. Cunt had moved to fuckin Lindisfarne, which is a bastard of a place to get to, and she said "Tell you what, he's not worth a life sentence". OK, pet. She'll never be right, but she'll do.

Pretty sure I just said this, ours was over-keen on nakedness, I just thought it was weird at the time, but that was the way it was, early 70s, there was looking, but no touching, thank fuck.

Gannin back a few years, Mrs n is still traumatised by what her teacher did to her when she was 15. [emoji38] I was gonna take the fucker out when she told me. Honest. Cunt had moved to fuckin Lindisfarne, which is a bastard of a place to get to, and she said "Tell you what, he's not worth a life sentence". OK, pet. She'll never be right, but she'll do.

Nowt worse than getting back into muddy underpants was the line our games teachers used.

Right then, there's a couple of things in there that have me thinking and would like input from the old gits on here. Our PE teacher 1976-80 (aged 9-13)  insisted on no underwear under PE gear (to be fair I still never wear keks under shorts) and he'd watch us now and again in the showers, there'd be about 20 in there at a time (loads of kids in the shower can be dangerous, I saw two split heads and one broken arm from larking about), now though I wonder and that's horrible.

We weren't allowed to wear underpants under our shorts for PE either unless we had brought a spare pair and had to prove it. (same era). he also sometimes made us have cold showers as well and made sure we stayed in their with no one allowed out as if "we didn't the cold showers we must be puffs".

Right then, there's a couple of things in there that have me thinking and would like input from the old gits on here. Our PE teacher 1976-80 (aged 9-13)  insisted on no underwear under PE gear (to be fair I still never wear keks under shorts) and he'd watch us now and again in the showers, there'd be about 20 in there at a time (loads of kids in the shower can be dangerous, I saw two split heads and one broken arm from larking about), now though I wonder and that's horrible.

We weren't allowed to wear underpants under our shorts for PE either unless we had brought a spare pair and had to prove it. (same era). he also sometimes made us have cold showers as well and made sure we stayed in their with no one allowed out as if "we didn't the cold showers we must be puffs".

Do you see anything pervy in it now, looking back ?

It just seemed like the norm and something we'd been warned about by other kids before leaving primary school and going to the big school.

Not sure what to think now looking back as it's over 35 years ago, but I know my kids don't have showers after pe at school, seems to have been stopped.

It just seemed like the norm and something we'd been warned about by other kids before leaving primary school and going to the big school.

Not sure what to think now looking back as it's over 35 years ago, but I know my kids don't have showers after pe at school, seems to have been stopped.

It wasn't even a warning as we didn't see there was anything to be warned about. Nowt was going on, it's just when you read stuff it makes you wonder if the teacher was getting off on it. I don't think he was but it's awful even having to consider it.

My P.E. teacher would watch us all in the showers. Year PE there would be about 40 of us in there at one time. Remember being pushed back into the shower by him as I'd not been in there long enough. Sound.

And that's just Football, you have to assume it was rife throughout all sports and youth stuff.

Yep. This is gonna be horrific when the full extent of it is known. Ideal profession to get in to for these predators with young, impressionable kids trying to do the best they can to succeed and trusting the adults (coaches) around them. Sickens me to the core.

And that's just Football, you have to assume it was rife throughout all sports and youth stuff.

Vast majority of this stuff happens in the home /  family members.....no assumption needed.

Guest Howaythetoon

When I was in senior school our PE teachers would stand at the entrance of the showers and watch us all getting showered, but I think it was only to supervise, make sure everyone got showered, no fighting etc. They all looked uncomfortable tbh. This was early 90s, Rutherford Comprehensive!

My own clubs football teams from mini soccer, youth and even mens in regard to anyone helping out from linesman, refs, dads who help with coaching are all having to have DBS (CRB's) checks asap.

Basically anyone who helps in any capacity, fair enough i suppose.

DBS checks are good but only evidence convictions and are only in-date for the date that they are produced.

People working in any capacity with/around children should be submitted onto a database that is checked daily against the police computer - anything crops up on the daily report should then be immediately passed to the employer. (Of course only relevant offences)

DBS checks are good but only evidence convictions and are only in-date for the date that they are produced.

People working in any capacity with/around children should be submitted onto a database that is checked daily against the police computer - anything crops up on the daily report should then be immediately passed to the employer. (Of course only relevant offences)

Very true, at is stands that's all that can be done right now. I agree with you about further checks, we're a bit away from that at the moment though i fear.

I dunno that's only retroactive really, damage may be done. Robust systems in place in a workplace where contact between young people and staff is well monitored. No shit like becoming 'family friends' or even just accounting for time spent. I work in a youth charity and we are expected to record and account for what we are doing every interaction with young people.

It came out years later that one of the priests who taught us had been fiddling kids. I can remember parents saying avoid him he's a bit strange, seriously that's all the precaution any parent thought to take! It sounds mental now but that's the way it was.

It makes you wonder how many kids were abused in years gone by, not just in football but just in general. My grandparents grew up in a time when older generation were firmly in charge, you did what they told you and even the guy down the street was allowed to tell kids off and if the childs parent found out about it, it was the child at fault. Kids weren't allowed much of a voice, and their word meant nothing. How many children never spoke out because they were told that doing so they would be the one told off or they wouldn't be believed? I'm pretty sure in most cases the parents would probably have to have caught someone doing it with their child to believe it was actually happening. Even to this day my own mam has an attitude of if someone she knows is accused of doing a bad thing (not even related to things like child abuse) then she has a hard time believing it because she thinks she knows that person and she comes from a generation where people you know never do things wrong, it's always a stranger.

When I was in senior school our PE teachers would stand at the entrance of the showers and watch us all getting showered, but I think it was only to supervise, make sure everyone got showered, no fighting etc. They all looked uncomfortable tbh. This was early 90s, Rutherford Comprehensive!

Had this too, but we had one history teacher who used to love subbing in for a PE teacher that was off, Mr Fenton he was called, and he'd be grinning like a cheshire cat at the entrance to showers and making sure you got 'wet all over'.

We all knew he was a complete perv but at age 11/12/13, you just shrug it off.

It makes you wonder how many kids were abused in years gone by, not just in football but just in general. My grandparents grew up in a time when older generation were firmly in charge, you did what they told you and even the guy down the street was allowed to tell kids off and if the childs parent found out about it, it was the child at fault. Kids weren't allowed much of a voice, and their word meant nothing. How many children never spoke out because they were told that doing so they would be the one told off or they wouldn't be believed? I'm pretty sure in most cases the parents would probably have to have caught someone doing it with their child to believe it was actually happening. Even to this day my own mam has an attitude of if someone she knows is accused of doing a bad thing (not even related to things like child abuse) then she has a hard time believing it because she thinks she knows that person and she comes from a generation where people you know never do things wrong, it's always a stranger.

As much as I see your point, my parents always listened to what I had to say when I was a kid. For example: If I'd been naughty in school (or whilst playing out after school) and they were informed about it by the head teacher, they'd always ask me first what was going on or what had happened. 9 times out of 10 I was at fault and got a clip round the lug off my dad but I never felt like I didn't have a voice and I always felt like I could tell my parents anything. This is obviously just a personal point of view.