Didn't react to provocation second half

Negatives

Switched off after the goal badly

Keeper

Didn't create enough through slowish play in the final third

Crossing was appalling bar 2-3 balls

Other stuff I noted

Shelvey drops too deep to receive the ball most of the time

Lascelles is also too deep when dropping off to receive the ball which affects the former IMO

We very ponderous on the shot/cross and usually waited too long before slinging in something shit after the chance had gone

Clark continues to impress

Diame's decision making is predictably wayward

Yes he was, did you miss the game like?

I only remember 1 save of note by both GK's in normal time.  You do usually count the shots on target as the barometer for how well a team is performing.  We had lots of shots on target in extra time once we had a better outlet with Atsu providing the service.

I can remember a few times their keeper was tested, I can remember once ours was.  I think the header their keeper saved might have been from Clark, excellent chance, again can't remember if it was normal time or extra time and not really bothered, it all counts.

This is as bad as the time we lost on penalties to Chelsea in the FA Cup 3rd round replay at SJP in January 96. We had a horror shoot out then too after twice blowing the lead and conceding to Gullit a minute from time.

What chances did we create in normal time?

Diame first half was the main one but aside from that not too much.

Diame had two in the first half, Ritchie's after the corner, Gayle early on, Hayden after winning the ball in midfield, sure I remember Atsu doing something before extra time as well.

What did the TV say/show of the Lascelles bottle incident? There was absolutely no intent from him but as he quickly threw it off the pitch it sailed about ten rows back into the crowd. Him apologising brought it to the refs attention but the officials didn't see it at all

Commentary was ahead of the picture at the beam back, so much so much so that the they muted the commentary for the pen shoot-out. Aspect ratio was f***ed as well.

Aye, I was watching at the rows of teles and would often look at the next tele whan the ball rolled out of shot expecting it to come on the next tele along.

I'm still gutted and angry that we've gone out but it's purely because of the manner in which we did. The fact is, we controlled an away game. And before you even consider the higher-league opposition, the fact we did that puts us worlds apart from Newcastle teams of the past. We're historically shit away from home and yet we have spent a huge duration of time controlling away games this season. We just weren't clinical enough and we have Matz Sels. That's why we lost.

We need to improve; but then of course we need to improve, that's just totally frigging obvious. We're not going to be the finished article after 20 games. The squad we have now has been hastily thrown together because we needed to lose 17 players at the end of last season - this generation of players will not be the ones leading us forward long-term. Even the younger ones that stay, like Lascelles or Hayden, will be different players in a year's time. We've bulked-out with mostly average players which, fortunately - in coordination with real talent like Shelvey - is enough to have us top of the Championship. But of course we need to improve on that. This summer, this squad, is just a means to an end: good enough to go up. (Hopefully).

If we're a Premier League team in September, we'll be looking at least another 7/8 completely new faces again as Rafa continues rebuilding the club from top to bottom. Using tonight as a way of measuring our chances in the PL next season is pointless when a lot of things will change should we get promoted.

Back to tonight's game specifically and it's galling as hell because A, I really fancied us, B, we should've won and C, we played pretty well. A ridiculous lapse ultimately cost us and that's why it's so frustrating. S'how it goes. Hull will get absolutely marmalised against whoever they face. But there was some promising stuff from us tonight.

For years under Pardew, Carver and McClaren it was an absolutely pointless exercise to pluck alleged positives from defeats. Just pointless. They meant nothing. We were shit and we were always going to be shit. Now though - we're building something, and we can take genuine solace from the positives.

Big game on Friday, mind.

I'm still gutted and angry that we've gone out but it's purely because of the manner in which we did. The fact is, we controlled an away game. And before you even consider the higher-league opposition, the fact we did that puts us worlds apart from Newcastle teams of the past. We're historically shit away from home and yet we have spent a huge duration of time controlling away games this season. We just weren't clinical enough and we have Matz Sels. That's why we lost.

We need to improve; but then of course we need to improve, that's just totally frigging obvious. We're not going to be the finished article after 20 games. The squad we have now has been hastily thrown together because we needed to lose 17 players at the end of last season - this generation of players will not be the ones leading us forward long-term. Even the younger ones that stay, like Lascelles or Hayden, will be different players in a year's time. We've bulked-out with mostly average players which, fortunately - in coordination with real talent like Shelvey - is enough to have us top of the Championship. But of course we need to improve on that. This summer, this squad, is just a means to an end: good enough to go up. (Hopefully).

If we're a Premier League team in September, we'll be looking at least another 7/8 completely new faces again as Rafa continues rebuilding the club from top to bottom. Using tonight as a way of measuring our chances in the PL next season is pointless when a lot of things will change should we get promoted.

Back to tonight's game specifically and it's galling as hell because A, I really fancied us, B, we should've won and C, we played pretty well. A ridiculous lapse ultimately cost us and that's why it's so frustrating. S'how it goes. Hull will get absolutely marmalised against whoever they face. But there was some promising stuff from us tonight.

For years under Pardew, Carver and McClaren it was an absolutely pointless exercise to pluck alleged positives from defeats. Just pointless. They meant nothing. We were shit and we were always going to be shit. Now though - we're building something, and we can take genuine solace from the positives.

Yep. Agree

I'm still gutted and angry that we've gone out but it's purely because of the manner in which we did. The fact is, we controlled an away game. And before you even consider the higher-league opposition, the fact we did that puts us worlds apart from Newcastle teams of the past. We're historically s*** away from home and yet we have spent a huge duration of time controlling away games this season. We just weren't clinical enough and we have Matz Sels. That's why we lost.

For years under Pardew, Carver and McClaren it was an absolutely pointless exercise to pluck alleged positives from defeats. Just pointless. They meant nothing. We were s*** and we were always going to be s***. Now though - we're building something, and we can take genuine solace from the positives.

Brilliantly put that ! .... It's funny this time last week if you asked me which game would I rather of won between this one and the Blackburn one  I would of picked the Blackburn one every time ... But at this minute and time I feel far worse than I did on Saturday, it was just so typical of Newcastle that match today... I was sitting in my girlfriend's house listening to it and when we went 1-0 up for that brief moment I just got so excited just the fact we where heading to a semi got me giddy, and even got me dreaming... After the defeat on Saturday I read  . com's match report and it compared the game on Saturday to the one against Grimsby in the 92/93 season when we went on that winning run but they rocked up to a full St James and beat us, then a lock of days later we had Chelsea in the league cup anf they beat us ! I hope this is just a wee blip like that was and I'm certain it is ! We will probs have 3/4 Blips this season ..... I hope we didn't loose or momentum tonight !!!! Big game against Forrest on Friday !!! On wards and up wards ?

Just gutted we lost, like I am whenever we lose this season - but with extra cup knocked out umph. Disco and Yorkie said everything there was to be said :thup:

Roll on Friday and lets get 3 points and get back to focusing on winning this fucking league.

Wake up call that a lot of the squad aren't as good as they appeared. Need to be looking to reinforce in January a lot and the team need to know that the lot of them should be on the chopping block. Terrible to lose to 10 man squad of players who have been hopeless enough in teh league to look like they'd struggle in the championship.

Agree - a wake up call that was very necessary because plenty of fans are making Swans out of our Geese players.

Rafa's imposition of better team discipline cannot disguise the fact that this side is far from a finished article and it is a long way from KKs 92/93 side in most departments. The current team is probably better in CD, but nowhere else....compare Andy Cole with Gayle(I wouldn't have Gayle over Cole, despite how well he has done), Kelly with Mitrovic(no way Mitro will score 27 goals this season OR give the side the movement and running that Kelly did), Peacock with Perez(no contest), or Rob Lee with Diame etc....only Shelvey stands equal to Scott Sellars in m/f. Beresford was a far better LB than any we have now.

The KK side DID have its odd hiccups at home(think Grimsby and dropped points to Millwall) but nearly always looked more convincing in its attacking play...they would have beaten this Hull side away .

No blame to Rafa, he has done a brilliant job in such a short time but I don't think some of these players are as good as pundits think they are. Some crucial signings needed in Jan and it is not a good time to do it ; KK was lucky in that he didn't have the Transfer Windows to cope with and could strengthen his side when he needed to(i.e. signing Cole & Sellars in mid-season)but we are where we are. A couple of good signings would knock some complacency out of certain players and concentrate their minds....as for Sels, I don't think he is as good as Darlow and certainly NOT as good as Pav was.

A disappointing result and performance but I am not sorry we are out of the Cup this time ; promotion is beyond vital if the club is not to regress again and a good result at Forest is now imperative to restore rhythm and confidence. There will inevitably be talk of a 'bad spell' if we lose on Friday.....

There's probably a lot of rose tinted specs when thinking back to that season though. Looking retrospectively at results there was a major mid-season struggle, sandwiched between the ridiculous start and strong finish. I mean they finished on 6 fewer points than Hughton's side.

Is the 1st division weaker now than it was then?

I'm still gutted and angry that we've gone out but it's purely because of the manner in which we did. The fact is, we controlled an away game. And before you even consider the higher-league opposition, the fact we did that puts us worlds apart from Newcastle teams of the past. We're historically s*** away from home and yet we have spent a huge duration of time controlling away games this season. We just weren't clinical enough and we have Matz Sels. That's why we lost.

For years under Pardew, Carver and McClaren it was an absolutely pointless exercise to pluck alleged positives from defeats. Just pointless. They meant nothing. We were s*** and we were always going to be s***. Now though - we're building something, and we can take genuine solace from the positives.

Thought this wasn't worth quoting again.

Brilliant post and much needed perspective.

We should have never let them score, and then we should have got a second.

We'd already lost the penalty shootout when Shelvey was walking up. Never seen a bunch of players already look defeated.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not as gutted as I was last night. We dominated the match away from home against a (albeit shite) Premier League team. They were at home and yet still had 10 men behind the ball and the chances that they created were very limited.

In the end, the really inexplicable selection of Sels was our undoing. The defending beforehand was shit, but his save was the biggest factor imo.

We were the better team and lost on penalties, I'm not concerned, just disappointed and desperate for the next match.

I'm not as gutted as I was last night. We dominated the match away from home against a (albeit shite) Premier League team. They were at home and yet still had 10 men behind the ball and the chances that they created were very limited.

In the end, the really inexplicable selection of Sels was our undoing. The defending beforehand was shit, but his save was the biggest factor imo.

We were the better team and lost on penalties, I'm not concerned, just disappointed and desperate for the next match.

I feel a bit like this.  I was really fucked off last night and nearly broke my work laptop :lol:  Dust has settled and the fact we looked comfortable away from home is a massive plus.  We haven't really controlled away games for years, regardless of who we are playing.  The first shot on target from them that I can remember was their goal, I think?  We were also lacking a bit of cutting edge, but we were camped outside their box for long spells and they had everyone back.   

Just a bit worried about losing two on the bounce and playing 120 minutes last night.  When we now have a tough looking game on Friday.  The squad has enough depth for this, at least. 

Phelan seems like a proper PFM.  The bollocks he was shouting from the sideline seemed reminiscent of Pardew.  "GET BACK.  PUSH UP.  DROP.  GOOD GOOD.  OOH, YOU NEARLY HAD HIM." 

Thought this wasn't worth quoting again.

Brilliant post and much needed perspective.

Yeah just read that.  Nodding along in agreement and makes you feel positive reading it  :snod: