Birmingham City v Newcastle United FA Cup 3rd Round 7/1/17 3pm (No TV)

Guest neesy111

Would love another cup run tbh. Preston was awesome and when we took the lead against Hull, I saw our hands on the trophy for one, very brief, euphoric moment. I'll have me some more of that yes please.

Just wish it was a better tie. Brum away, bluh, how boring. Very winnable yet annoyingly tricky when we could really do with a pick-me-up.

Happy to see him go with whatever he feels is his strongest side but would obviously welcome some rotation. Would be good to see Lazaar. Couldn't really give a fuck about Mitro or Murphy at this point, they clearly don't have a future here.

Guest neesy111

The last time we had a serious go at the FA cup was under Souness iirc :lol: :anguish:

With Glenn Roeder, quarter final in 2006.

The last time we had a serious go at the FA cup was under Souness iirc :lol: :anguish:

Remember that 5th Round game against Southampton being televised, 1-0 Dyer. There was a real buzz when he replaced Souness and Shearer got the 201.

Hardly constitutes a serious go, like. We got 3 narrow wins over lower league opposition.

Guest neesy111

Hardly constitutes a serious go, like. We got 3 narrow wins over lower league opposition.

That's still better than our previous attempts in recent years vs lower league opposition.

Please tell me nobody wants Sammy to start, man.

Based on my own opinion of him, no.

But then my opinion is based on the last time I saw him 2 years ago. If Rafa picks him then It will be based on seeing him some time over the last few days.

I'm struggling to care about this game when we're losing ground in the Championship. It feels like just another game for Shelvey for me. I never thought I'd still be approaching the cup like this under Rafa.

At the start of the season a lot of our fans were saying they'd love a serious crack at the cup over success in the league.

Weren't they saying they'd rather win a cup than be successful in the league? I can't imagine people would take a good cup run that didn't result in a trophy over promotion like.

I certainly don't want to see us 'throw' it, but I'd be less bothered about a defeat here than in a league game. Purely because it's so early in the competition and the buzz for it isn't really there yet - on account of our patchy league form and the fact it's such a DULL tie.

If we get through and get a favourable home tie, I'll start anticipating a potentially exciting cup run.

He'll get the message eventually.

Given that he will be available to start the very next game, it is perfectly reasonable to answer the question I was responding to.

But still, if you need the pat on the back, then you pat yourself on the back.

I certainly don't want to see us 'throw' it, but I'd be less bothered about a defeat here than in a league game. Purely because it's so early in the competition and the buzz for it isn't really there yet - on account of our patchy league form and the fact it's such a DULL tie.

If we get through and get a favourable home tie, I'll start anticipating a potentially exciting cup run.

This really for me.we aint gonna win it in truth

There were large numbers in both 'camps' (a serious crack/winning a cup) from what I can remember (and not just talking about people on here) - unless of course I've got it slightly wrong.

I was in the third camp, the one where we can have a serious cup run AND do well in the league, which in this case means promotion. I think we can do both and have a squad which can cope to a certain point. I don't think we're good enough yet to get past the quarters, but even if we got that far I don't think it would  have any effect on our promotion bid.

I'd like to see us use the cup to try and gather some momentum. Obviously if we lose it's not the end of the world, but we can use it to our advantage. Imagine if we somehow ended up beating Liverpool at home in the next round, for example? That would do wonders for our confidence and the 'feel good factor' would most certainly be back.

Jesus H!

From .com;

Newcastle have won just one of their last ten FA Cup Third Round ties at the first attempt:

2015/16 Watford (a) lost 0-1

2014/15 Leicester City (a) lost 0-1

2013/14 Cardiff City (h) lost 1-2

2012/13 Brighton and Hove Albion (a) lost 0-2

2011/12 Blackburn Rovers (h) won 2-1

2010/11 Stevenage (a) lost 1-3

2009/10 Plymouth Argyle (a) drew 0-0 (won replay)

2008/09 Hull City (a) drew 0-0 (lost replay)

2007/08 Stoke City (a) drew 0-0 (won replay)

2006/07 Birmingham City (a) drew 2-2 (lost replay)

The Magpies have failed to win any of their last 12 away ties in the FA Cup:

2015/16 3rd Watford lost 0-1

2014/15 3rd Leicester City lost 0-1

2012/13 3rd Brighton and Hove Albion lost 0-2

2011/12 4th Brighton and Hove Albion lost 0-1

2010/11 3rd Stevenage lost 1-3

2009/10 3rd Plymouth Argyle drew 0-0

2009/10 4th West Bromwich Albion lost 2-4

2008/09 3rd Hull City drew 0-0

2007/08 3rd Stoke City drew 0-0

2007/08 4th Arsenal lost 0-3

2006/07 3rd Birmingham City drew 2-2