Brentford 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 14/01/17 - Post-match reaction from page 23

Greg

Guest neesy111

One person said it and everyone is throwing their toys out of the pram. :lol:

Not going to quote posts, but there were a lot more than one person making definitive judgements about exactly how bad we were playing without seeing a thing of it. Anyway, this is getting boring. Just grates that's all, nothing more than that.

We won, it's another good result. We've had quite a few, not that you'd know it from the last month on here.

Today was a good win considering the circumstances.

What I will say our defence isn't as tight as it should be and the way we are conceding goals from set-pieces should be priority for us to try and solve.

I just don't think our defence is that good tbh, not bad, just not that good. Not just basing that off today, I've thought it for most of the season.

As a team we're strong defensively when fully fit, when we control the game in the middle we coast games. But as soon as teams start knocking on the door we look like falling apart.

You seemed pretty happy to judge off exactly what they were saying, that's all.

It didn't sound like we played well tbh, but at the end of the day it was a great result considering the injuries. I'll take that any day of the week over a good performance at this stage of the season.

Is there any point in these match threads then for non televised games then?

Not really unless someone on the match posts updated.

at*

I'm not correcting your mistakes and it's your fucking first language.

:lol: :lol:

at*

I'm not correcting your mistakes and it's your f***ing first language.

Forgot the safety :). Sorry neesy.

at*

I'm not correcting your mistakes and it's your fucking first language.

:lol:

A necessary result, esp as only Leeds won among the promotion chasers and Brighton lost although you could expect that they might at Preston...PNE are playing well and gave Arsenal a fight in the FAC ; we also struggled a fair bit at Deepdale.

No TV coverage over here so won't comment on the game but the story about Ashley interfering in transfer policy once again is more important than even this win. Big trouble ahead if the Mirror story is true....

Guest neesy111

at*

I'm not correcting your mistakes and it's your f***ing first language.

Forgot the safety :). Sorry neesy.

It's fine, I just get sick of when people pull me up on it.

Thoughts on the game:

Possibly a bit biased towards Brentford but I thought we were at least deserving of a point and probably should've won? At 1-1 we definitely looked like the only side who were going to score again I though. Had our two best players on the bench in Jota and Hogan. Hogan would surely have slotted some of those chances Vibe missed and Jota probably would've made a difference.

Josh McEchran had a very good game for us, even though he did give it away for your winner. Dummet looked very suspect for you, all over the shop at points in the first half. He really panics on the ball when under pressure and just pumps it anywhere. Jack Colback is cack, honestly wouldn't take him at Brentford.

Great finish for both of your goals. With Gayle/Mitro out and you guys desperately needing a striker would make a lot of sense to go for Hogan? He's literally guranteed goals in this division.

Anyways everyone have a good day out? Enjoy the ground/pubs? I've never seen the New Inn as rammed as it was yesterday. :lol: Fucking Geordies bursting out the windows.

Perhaps worth taking a look at Lasse Vibe? He looked very bright yesterday.

Lasse Vibe is a shocking shocking footballer. He tries hard and he's intelligent in that he has good movement and makes good runs, but other than that he's fucking shit. He's not good enough for Brentford let alone Newcastle. His finishing is absolutely appalling, so uncomposed in front of goal. It's hard to imagine how he's made it as a professional footballer who plays in attacking positions with such a disgustingly weak shot on him.

Hard to disagree with any of those points Steggy.

I've only watched the highlights and listened to the match on the radio but at 1-1 I wasn't confident at all.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Also forgot to say, we should've had a penalty first half. Tom Field was tripped at a corner. Couldn't see the one at the other end though.

Hard to disagree with any of those points Steggy.

I've only watched the highlights and listened to the match on the radio but at 1-1 I wasn't confident at all.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Cheers you too.

a fantastic 3 points. Haven't seen the whole game, but to adjust to those injuries and win the game after being pegged back suggests a team spirit that has seemed absent recently.

Enforced substitutions were more effective than Rafa's usual attempts.

Not having a go at him, I just find it funny. I imagine it is completely coincidental, and we will now go on a bit of a streak. Shelvey to destroy Brum midweek.

Come on Toons.

we had the better of the chances first half and could have been 2 or 3 up before they equalised. we had at least 2 good chances in the second. wasnt all one-way.

they can say they were without their best players but so were we losing both hayden and gayle early on, then anita and having to completely change formation.

we were there for the taking and brentford couldnt manage it.

tough titties.

We were second best for all of the second half like. At the point Anita went off and Gouffran was limping but having to carry on and we were creaking I couldn't see us getting one point never mind three. But for once we hung on in there and showed some guts in somehow getting a win we had no right to as opposed to weakly folding which has been the recent standard when we've been up against it.

I think a lot of the defensive issues we're seeing stem from the fullbacks' inability to cut crosses out at source, or not get regularly beaten by championship wingers which then stretches the rest of the defence. Yedlin can't defend for shit and Dummett is Dummett (interesting to see Steggy echoing the opinion of many on here).

I'd have sympathy with Brentford for not having a penalty awarded for shirt tugging if that was the case (far end of the ground to us I think?)- we've seen to our cost how little attention is paid to that by referees in this division and it's frustrating because blatant shirt tugging is surely the easiest foul to spot. But I'd also point out that the corner Brentford scored from came from a clear foul with the attacker pushing our defender into the ball (and then it seemed to ricochet back off the striker anyway), so it wasn't all one way from the officials.

Really enjoyed the pubs around the ground, found the Brentford fans to be a friendly bunch. I thought it'd be all posh with it being West London, but the overall impression I left with was a great little community with the club at the heart of it. I can see why they're building a new stadium with all the extra facilities it will entail but I miss proper grounds like Griffin Park and wish there were more still around.

Aye I went to Brentford about five years ago as part of a mate's stag weekend when they were still in League One. We watched the FA Cup semi final in one of the pubs then saw them play Notts County.

It's such a great little place to watch football. I'm sure their fans want promotion like all football fans do but they'd probably end up regretting it if they managed, once their owners had decided they needed to upgrade to a bland bowl five miles away.