Oxford 3-0 Newcastle 28/1/17 - Match Thread

Big Geordie

The transfer window and this effort in the cup have shown that absolutely fuck all has changed at the club. It's been groundhog day for what is kicking on for 10 years now. Just a continually pathetic mentality from the tossers.

Can't disagree with that. Honestly, it's one thing 'not paying January prices' and quite another sitting back and failing to invest the modest amount required to displace the likes of Alsoran, Colback and Ameobi.

The same Alsoran (pathetic btw) who is our 4th top scorer?

Your point being what? :lol:

That you're having a mini-meltdown over not disposing Gouffran, yet he has proven to be fairly effective at this level.

Yeah, a real meltdown because I think we should have better than Yoan Gouffran on the left wing. :thup:

We made a huge profit in the last window and should be investing some of it now, with a view to next season too, should we get promoted. You know fine well going forward as a club we need much better than the likes of Gouffran, man. One of the reasons we were never in a relegation battle in 10-11 is because we started looking like a PL team in that second half of the Championship campaign and were able to pretty much hit the ground running the next season. If we go up with this squad we'll need nothing short of complete overhaul in the summer.

If you look back though, last time round we were giving regular gametime in the Championship to the likes of Alan Smith, Marlon Harewood, Lovelyhands & Pancake. And Shola! We all know we'll need an overhaul and we'll be in a much better position to do so in the summer, fingers crossed.

By the end of the season only one of them was a regular starter, to be fair. I know it's your default to be stoic and that's fine but as Sewelly alluded to we're still doing pretty much the bare minimum to prevail instead of taking advantage of a position of relative strength.

Guest firetotheworks

like these reactions when people start veering into kicking off with rafa territory [emoji38]

he's won loads of f***ing cups man, didn't work out today, move on...people mentioning pardew :anguish:

Exactly  [emoji38] was working so didnt  get to keep up to date with the match, and tbh I was shocked when I seen the score ! I did think we'd get a win today ..... Reading comments on hear and reading match reports I do realise we must of been horrible but some of the reactions are a tad OTT  [emoji38] of course a cup run would of been great but it wasn't the be all to end all, were still 7 points ahead of 3rd way a game in hand ...  and we are still on course to get promotion and that is the be all to end all... I fucking dread going on hear after we get beat this season the negativity about the club and people questioning Rafa it's actually baffling .

3 games into next season we'll have people calling for Rafa's head and everyone online supporting the opposition again. It's the Newcastle way.

Ahem, it took 3 years of Pardew to get to that point. It's never happening with Rafa. The hysteria works both ways.

like these reactions when people start veering into kicking off with rafa territory :lol:

he's won loads of f***ing cups man, didn't work out today, move on...people mentioning pardew :anguish:

Exactly  :lol: was working so didnt  get to keep up to date with the match, and tbh I was shocked when I seen the score ! I did think we'd get a win today ..... Reading comments on hear and reading match reports I do realise we must of been horrible but some of the reactions are a tad OTT  :lol: of course a cup run would of been great but it wasn't the be all to end all, were still 7 points ahead of 3rd way a game in hand ...  and we are still on course to get promotion and that is the be all to end all... I fucking dread going on hear after we get beat this season the negativity about the club and people questioning Rafa it's actually baffling .

Here, here.

Still annoyed by the team he put out. If you took that team and made 3 or 4 additions it would have been absolutely fine and would still have been 4 or 5 changes from the team that beat Rotherham

Darlow for Sels - i know about the argument of playing your reserve keeper in the cup games and so man do it, but Sels just doesn't inspire confidence - to anyone. The chances of the keeper getting injured / suspended is far less than an attacker as well.

Lascelles for Good - Jamaal has been left out a couple of times recently and throwing Good in from the middle of nowhere was silly. It's a bit different to that Birmigham game. Firstly we were at home and secondly, Oxford were always going to be much more up for this game - they wee at home to a team that still has a big reputation in a higher league whereas Brum would have seen it as an inconvenience - they made numerous changes to the first match so knew it wasn't a priority for them.

Gouff/ Ritchie for the lad with the Youtube skills

Darlow

Gamez Hanley Jamaal Haidara

Ritchie Barlaser Heyden Lazaar

Perez

Mitro

That instantly looks much stronger. Here you're not playing 3 inexperienced lads away from home, you don't have a liability in goal and you have a bit of flair and creativity from Ritchie.

Shelvey, Gouff, Yedlin, Dummett, Clark, Murphy could have all been rested for QPR and i doubt there'd be many complaints about that team. Just seems such a waste of a winnable tie.

Well, its wake-up time for all those complacent enough to keep saying we have the best squad in the Champ....RUBBISH. If we did we could have handled this game better than a 3-0 defeat.

I have been a Newcastle supporter long enough to know that since the 50s we have done NOWT in the domestic Cup competitions and we oldies have a well-worn but famous joke that a tea-bag is in the cup longer than Newcastle..

Although I am not losing any sleep over going out of the cup this season(because I don't want anything to put promotion in jeopardy and unlike many on here I do NOT think we are the world-beaters of the Championship so getting to the PL has to be a priority), I still think that this result is a disgrace and an insult to those who bothered travelling to Oxford. Losing narrowly after a well-fought game with a lower league side is fine and always possible...losing 3-0 after a bad performance is certainly not. I have not seen the game so will not comment on individual players but the comments by most fans and the result speak for themselves.....

If anyone wanted to see how important the game with QPR now is, they should look at the fact that Reading(one of the sides everyone thinks will fall away)managed another win yesterday - every game is now a game where we need to keep winning or at least, not losing - we shall see soon just how much guts - and ability - this squad has...and the worry is that maybe all is not well behind the scenes, which would just about kill many fans' interest if it materialises.

Well, its wake-up time for all those complacent enough to keep saying we have the best squad in the Champ....RUBBISH. If we did we could have handled this game better than a 3-0 defeat.

Who does have the best squad in the Championship then?

Can't be Brighton obviously. Must be one of the teams below both oif us.

Just seen the goals for the first time via that link...

My god, we were abysmal at trying to defend for their goals.

Squad depth? :undecided:

Yeah the whole squad depth thing is busted now.

Are strongest 11 is good but the vast majority who come in to replace any of them are fucking shit.

Our 'backup brigade' is full of shit cunts.

Sells, Lazar, Colback *shudders*, Alexander 'couldnt shoot fish in a barrel' Mitrovic, Hanley, an old useless Spanish bloke named after that bible chap, even Perez has proved to be a shit pansy this season. Fuck me our backup is bad.

The side that wins it...and regardless of what anyone thinks a strong squad would not lose 3-0 at a Div 1 side. If NUFC have the strongest squad there must be some strong squads in Div 1 then..

Great result for an owner who has never desired to & spent the money required to assemble a squad capable of mounting a sustained challenge in multiple competitions. It's either 'premiership survival/17th' or 'promotion push', and the cups/convuluted fixture list are a poisonous distraction. I think Ashley shit himself during the Europa League season (under Pardew) when we qualified for the later stages and crashed down the table, and had to wait until the last month to re-secure SportsDirectUnited's seat on the EPL gravy train. Anti-competitive it may be, at least they were brazenly honest about it and a laughing stock when Charnley stated that the cup runs were not a priority.

Somebody else (in the thread) hinted that it comes from the top. I'll go along with this. I can handle the likes of Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea et al using the earlier rounds as a platform to blood their cracking youth teams on larger stages, before they unleash the big guns in the later rounds. Sometimes it backfires on them, but their youth & fringe players (as well as their youth academy set-ups.... apparently our domedtic scouting network is of the bare bones level) leave ours in the dust. On the other hand when we do it (in a tricky fixture away from home) it comes across as being blatantly anti-competitive, because of the talent drop-off which is so dramatic when you hit the fringe of our first XI, and our U21s.

The side that wins it...and regardless of what anyone thinks a strong squad would not lose 3-0 at a Div 1 side. If NUFC have the strongest squad there must be some strong squads in Div 1 then..

Why must there be "some strong squads in Div 1"? On that basis there must be some strong squads in the Championship because Wolves have just beaten Liverpool reserves. To suggest our squad is anything other than very strong in comparison to the rest of the Championship is just utter stupidity.