Newcastle 1-0 Derby - 4/2/17 - Match Thread - Post match reaction from p. 16

Mike

Missed the game, due to being at my nephew's 3rd birthday party. Might pleased and relieved with the win. :) Onwards and upwards. :)

Yeah I was stuck at my son`s friends 4th birthday. Kids are so inconsiderate. Got in thinking I`d even missed the end on the radio to find out we had 10 hours of added time.

Guest neesy111

69% win ration in the league. On for 102 poinrs if we keep this average up.

Not sure how you got to that?

Our average points per game says we'll get to 98 points.

I loved the way we won that today, tbh. I thought we were excellent in the first half and them faded when our whole CM changed. Hayden had to go off, then Shelvey had to reign himself in after taking a knock. After that, we dug in and got ourselves a huge win after a throughly shit week. HTL.

Buzzing, vital win. Atmosphere was canny today as well, there was a few times when the 'Rafa Benitez' chants actually went round the whole stadium and that barely every happens now even in the bigger games.

Louise Taylor:

Newcastle fans felt sufficiently emboldened to direct a burst of “you don’t know what you’re doing” in McClaren’s direction as he deliberated over a substitution.

Erm, pretty sure that was at the horrendous refereeing decisions

Thought we controlled it up until about 70', we really should be out of sight in these games like and we will be once Gayle is back.  Nervy finish but thought the back 4 were all pretty good today, after this week a massive win.

Louise Taylor:

Newcastle fans felt sufficiently emboldened to direct a burst of “you don’t know what you’re doing” in McClaren’s direction as he deliberated over a substitution.

Yeah, it was directed at the ref.

Louise Taylor:

Yeah, it was directed at the ref.

Absolutely, I take it Louise mustn't have been there?

Thought we controlled it up until about 70', we really should be out of sight in these games like and we will be once Gayle is back.  Nervy finish but thought the back 4 were all pretty good today, after this week a massive win.

The back 4 were pretty good? What? Apart from the 2 sitters they missed and the fortunate clearance off the line in the final seconds?

The back 4 were pretty good? What? Apart from the 2 sitters they missed and the fortunate clearance off the line in the final seconds?

that was about it for them in the whole 100 minutes.

Guest neesy111

69% win ration in the league. On for 102 poinrs if we keep this average up.

Not sure how you got to that?

Our average points per game says we'll get to 98 points.

Because I got it wrong :) went for 48 games!

:thup:

Anycase 98 points will be enough for promotion.

Agree that Diame was good but think there is a positional issue with him, at the start he was very high up trying to press their backline forcing them wide, but wasn't then able to help out in midfield much. Later on he retreated back (then of course moved back to replace Hayden) and then there were not enough forward bodies. It feels like under Rafas system we sometimes have the worst problem of 4-4-2 an underpowered midfield and the worst problem of 4-5-1 of an isolated striker.

Think it may just the whole team not quite performing. I think it may have been more the fault of Mitrovic not doing anything that left Diame running everywhere.

Just seen the highlights of the last minute corners they had, ffs how does Scott Carson get away with the rugby tackles in there, would have been a travesty if they had scored from them. One the first one they had the cheek to claim a pen, when Carson is all over Lasc.

Derby head coach Steve McClaren told BBC Radio Derby:

"I'm disappointed to lose points but we came here, had a go and got them nervous at the end.

"We were disappointed with our first-half performance and the goal, but in the second half we were fantastic and should not have lost that game."

Line-ups

Match Stats

Live Text

Home TeamNewcastleAway TeamDerby

Possession

Home49%Away51%

Shots

Home19Away4

Shots on Target

Home8Away2

Corners

Home5Away5

Fouls

Home15Away9

Yeah Steve 19 shots to 4, shouldn't have lost at all, no justice in this world :)