Newcastle 1-0 Derby - 4/2/17 - Match Thread - Post match reaction from p. 16

Mike

Phew.

Completely lost control of the game when Hayden went off, and Derby decided to show up. Was panicking for about half an hour and obviously we were very fortunate that Ince missed but I thought we did just enough to deserve the win. Darlow wasn't exactly flying around his goal.

A well earned three points and a clean sheet against a good side. Back on top.

Job done.

Really? I thought we were in complete control up until Anya came on tbh.

Guest neesy111

Phew.

Completely lost control of the game when Hayden went off, and Derby decided to show up. Was panicking for about half an hour and obviously we were very fortunate that Ince missed but I thought we did just enough to deserve the win. Darlow wasn't exactly flying around his goal.

Job done.

We were poor with possession for most of the 2nd half.

Phew.

Job done.

We definitely lost something when Hayden went off. Diame and Shelvey looked a little too open. I think the last 10 was purely natural for our players, tbh. Didn't finish well enough, retreat in final minutes and look ropey.

Good result that, dominated the first half, didn't really do much in the second but though we controlled the game well for the most part, bar the final 10-15 when it was back to the walls stuff. 3 points against a good side, you could see what it meant to the players at the end, onwards and upwards.

Pleased that Lascelles was dropped and we still won. He needs a break, to get some confidence back. Diame is turning into a key player for us, he stretches the opposition.

Yes we are playing shite but as the saying goes, "Rafa doesn't do losing streaks."

Top of the league. Lets hope this horrid week fucks off forever.

Phew.

Job done.

We were poor with possession for most of the 2nd half.

That's what I thought, it's all very well defending deep but when you get possession you'd like to see us hold onto the ball a bit better.

Genuine question for the Mitrovic White Knights Brigade : how do you sleep at night?

Great player, only young, loads of potential, 17th best goals per minute record in Europe, 33rd best assists per minute record in the world, passion, desire, fight, hes got it all, need to give him a run, get his confidence up. etc etc

Genuine question for the Mitrovic White Knights Brigade : how do you sleep at night?

Great player, only young, loads of potential, 17th best goals per minute record in Europe, 33rd best assists per minute record in the world, passion, desire, fight, hes got it all, need to give him a run, get his confidence up. etc etc

You think Gayle will be briliant after bad injury.put some money he will score 3 goals next week?Give Mitro a break!When he was in good form,motivated..he was on bench..First time when he knew he will be starter he picked up injury.His morale now is close to 0....With all that in mind..he gave solid performance today.He assisted to Ritchie today...He dont smile,head is down..empty look in eyes.Give him some boost,we win today

Was one those "win, just win ffs" ones today and we did do. :thup:

Anya seemed to be a bit of a handful (as well as De Sart being better on the ball than the bloke he replaced) and that was the cause of our late game jitters. Was lovely to see that useless red-faced cunt McClaren with his hands on his head after Yedlin cleared off the line. You'd think he'd be used to losing games at SJP by now.

Darlow 6 - one save but looked a little bit jittery, dropped a cross and almost deflected a ball onto Anya for a tap in

Yedlin 8 - excellent today. Solid defensively and got up the pitch to good effect

Clark 7 - another steady game, communication seemed to be flowing better

Hanley 7 - completely missed Ince for the sitter he missed but strong in the tackle and composed otherwise

Dummett 6 - seemed to go to pot in the last 10 minutes, his distribution wasn't great today either

Hayden 7 - was going alright until his injury, in the thick of things as usual

Shelvey 8 - usual brilliant distribution and ball retention. Drove things forwards as per

Ritchie 7 - combative and passionate and a decent dig for the goal, despite the deflection

Diame 8.5 - full of invention, the "on" switch was definitely pressed on this occasion. Some lovely touches and unfortunate not to score

Gouffran 6.5 - much better work rate and energy today but still painfully sluggish and slows down our counters too often

Mitrovic 6 - all round touch and passing far better, got involved, but that fucking sitter! Had one easy chance and blew it... again.

Subs:

Perez 6 - better than Wednesday's shitshow without really pulling up too many trees

S. Ameobi n/a - didn't really do much

Lascelles n/a - managed to avoid any fuck-ups in his short appearance

Rafa got his selection right today (leaving Lascelles out and dropping Perez) and the inclusion of Diame on one of his good days made all the difference tbh.