Newcastle 1-0 Derby - 4/2/17 - Match Thread - Post match reaction from p. 16

Mike

Can only assume we're not fit enough to play for 90 like we did in the first. Absolutely no need to start standing off them and inviting them on particularly when we struggle, at times, with crosses.

We do seem to get progressively worse as the game goes on. We look fine for the first 15 mins then the sloppy passes start creeping in, especially when the opposition presses us. I think some pace up front could make a difference though. We are missing Gayle and could do with a speedy wide man.

Alot has to do with pressure. By missing chances and only being one goal up makes it a very thin line at the end of a game. Our players get nervous and the opposition have nothing to lose and gain hope of creating/scoring.

Alot has to do with pressure. By missing chances and only being one goal up makes it a very thin line at the end of a game. Our players get nervous and the opposition have nothing to lose and gain hope of creating/scoring.

Yeah a second goal would definitely help things.

Just watched the full 90 on the club website. This thought process that we won the first they won the second and it was a pretty even game was just not true. They offered  absolutely nothing for the first 80 mins or so until Ince missed that sitter. We were passing the ball around very well at times. Nervy at the end and clearly missing our top scorer but it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, thoroughly deserved victory.

Just watched the full 90 on the club website. This thought process that we won the first they won the second and it was a pretty even game was just not true. They offered  absolutely nothing for the first 80 mins or so until Ince missed that sitter. We were passing the ball around very well at times. Nervy at the end and clearly missing our top scorer but it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, thoroughly deserved victory.

Yeah, we definitely deserved to win IMO, although it's true we dropped off quite a lot in the second half. I haven't watched it back but that was my impression from being there at the time.

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on the fact that the complexion of our set-up changed when Hayden went off and Shelvey took a heavy knock. I thought it was clear that the latter was forced to stay on and take it easy, and would've come off had Hayden not already been subbed.

The ball didn't stick in their final third anywhere near as much when Diame had to be pulled back, either. Hayden's injury was a big moment in the game, I think we'd have won more comfortably had he stayed on.

Any trouble around town? I don't drink on match days but noticed a few of there's being a bit loud and aggressive both on way up to and back from SJP.

leaving from under the leazes at full time there was the fairly usual sing off over the barriers. Mainly younguns on our part, but a group of 20 or so hoolie looking derby fans had went out in the opposite direction to that of most  the away fans. Just behind the NE corner, where leazes meets the east stand. They were generally mouthing off and challenging people to have a go. Time I got to the strawberry there was a police van with lights and sirens going, trying to get through the crowds. Guessed they were trying to get up there.

Any trouble around town? I don't drink on match days but noticed a few of there's being a bit loud and aggressive both on way up to and back from SJP.

leaving from under the leazes at full time there was the fairly usual sing off over the barriers. Mainly younguns on our part, but a group of 20 or so hoolie looking derby fans had went out in the opposite direction to that of most  the away fans. Just behind the NE corner, where leazes meets the east stand. They were generally mouthing off and challenging people to have a go. Time I got to the strawberry there was a police van with lights and sirens going, trying to get through the crowds. Guessed they were trying to get up there.

They have their fair share of idiots like, they call themselves the DLF.

Think there was a few things winged off L7 mind near to directly below the scoreboard. There was a few 40-50 year old blokes who were going red in the face screaming obscenities at their lot and offering them out. Made for some mild amusement during the lull in the second half. 

One of them was mouthing off on the corner next to Barker & Stonehouse and was promptly put on his backside whilst his previously mouthy mates suddenly lost their voices.