Norwich City 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 14/02/17 - Post-match reaction from pg 30

BlueStar

Don't see how Atsu isn't starting, he looks dangerous all the time whereas Gouffran offers f*** all bar running round like a headless chicken.

Also didn't realise Ruddy was back in goal for Everton, I thought McGovern was their first choice? Most likely dropped as if he was in goal we would have won at least 4-2 today. He's f***ing atrocious, like.

???

He's playing as a winger and creating fuck all against shit players. He needs to be thrown in the sea off a rock.

I do agree with that, I want him nowhere near the team as well but we have limited options.  Clear to see why Benitez wanted a CM and a Winger.

I do think Atsu is clearly good enough to both start and have an impact in this league. Problem is due to Rafa's cautious nature he prefers Gouffran because he'll consider him more of a shape player. It needs to be addressed as our left hand side is basically impotent going forward when him and Dummett start together.

I thought we played very well and if it wasn't for two individual errors then we'd have comfortably won the game.

We had so many chances to win it but a combination of bad luck and poor finishing meant it wasn't to be.

We were by far the better team like, other than the goals which were down to our own stupidity and two long range efforts they offered little/nothing whereas we carved them open time and time again.

Gouffran offers absolutely nothing, no idea how he is still starting with Atsu on the bench.

Colback was absolutely terrible, again, we looked about 100 times better when Diame replaced him.

Lascelles was very shakey again but a good finish for the goal.

Overall I'm probably happy with a point away from home against an in-form team who are very good at home. Especially as Brighton unexpectedly dropped points.

I thought we played very well and if it wasn't for two individual errors then we'd have comfortably won the game.

We had so many chances to win it but a combination of bad luck and poor finishing meant it wasn't to be.

We were by far the better team like, other than the goals which were down to our own stupidity and two long range efforts they offered little/nothing whereas we carved them open time and time again.

Gouffran offers absolutely nothing, no idea how he is still starting with Atsu on the bench.

Colback was absolutely terrible, again, we looked about 100 times better when Diame replaced him.

Lascelles was very shakey again but a good finish for the goal.

Overall I'm probably happy with a point away from home against an in-form team who are very good at home. Especially as Brighton unexpectedly dropped points.

Feel the same, and good to show the character to come back. Should give them a boost.

I can sort of understand Rafa going for a so called "grafter" in Gouffran away from home because he is a defensive minded manager after all but there's simply no reason for Gouffran to feature in our next 2 games. Seems like we played pretty well last night though and if Gayle had been on for 90 minutes we'd probably have won.

Given the recent form of Norwich, I'd have probably taken a point beforehand.

The goals we conceded were of our own doing, and hopefully wont happen again (too soon).

Its just a pity that we (well, Mitro) wasted some decent chances. Have said it before, we need to be more ruthless and take more of the chances we get.

Anyway, lets hope we can win the next 2 matches at home, and then if we can avoid defeat at Brighton and Huddersfield (possible with our away record), then things should still be ok.

Looks like we were great from the highlights bar 2 errors.  If Gayle had started and was fully fit without the errors we would have walked it.  I think Lascelles need to spend a couple of weeks on the bench though, he had a good game last time out but I really think he does need to be benched so he can have a hard think and become less complacent.

I can sort of understand Rafa going for a so called "grafter" in Gouffran away from home because he is a defensive minded manager after all but there's simply no reason for Gouffran to feature in our next 2 games. Seems like we played pretty well last night though and if Gayle had been on for 90 minutes we'd probably have won.

Thing is, you could argue since we played quite well and created enough chances that there's also no reason to change him. Not saying that's what I would do, but you can see that the manager might make that call on balance.

One point of note from yesterday was the linesman on our side of the pitch was absolutely atrocious :lol:

Nearly every time the ball went out he waited for the referee to signal before holding his flag up in the same direction, when the referee didn't know it looked like he just made a wild guess.

There were several times in the second half where he was so behind the play it was unreal, a few times our attackers looked offside but he couldn't give it because he was about 10 yards further back - he just never seemed to be in line with the last defender.

Thing is, you could argue since we played quite well and created enough chances that there's also no reason to change him. Not saying that's what I would do, but you can see that the manager might make that call on balance.

The question you have to ask, is the left hand side working? Norwich are one of the few sides who let you play, against everyone else in the last couple of months the answer would have to be no.

I don't know why the negativity surrounding Gouffran, as he does graft but he also very rarely gives the ball away. He could do more going forward but his attacking isn't helped by Dummett not overlapping and protecting Dummett defensively.

I don't know why the negativity surrounding Gouffran, as he does graft but he also very rarely gives the ball away. He could do more going forward but his attacking isn't helped by Dummett not overlapping and protecting Dummett defensively.

You don't think Atsu would perhaps be a better bet at home against teams in the bottom half? We've dropped too many points at home this season due to an over negative approach.

You don't think Atsu would perhaps be a better bet at home against teams in the bottom half? We've dropped too many points at home this season due to an over negative approach.

You could also point out that the teams we've dropped points against at home in the bottom half were Wolves, Blackburn and QPR, and Gouffran only played in one of those....

Although it's still a fair assumption that Atsu gives probably gives us more attacking threat.

Rafa will select the Atsu type player ahead of the Gouffran type about the same time as he decides to play two up front.

And if there is anything to criticise Rafa about it is that fact - I do wish he would put our most attacking team out as in my opinion that team is the best in the league. Proof will be in the pudding at the end of the season though.

:thup:

I'm as far as Mitro's first chance and I'm stunned by the way some people were going on about it. It was a good chance, but it was nowhere near the must-score opportunity that I was led to believe.

Yep - thought I must have missed the chance when I first saw it.  Mentioned it in another thread but I don't think people have a handle on what a realistic conversion rate for a striker is in general and what the percentage chance is of scoring a chance like that is.

Don't necessarily agree with everything in the article, but this is decent reading - http://statsbomb.com/2016/10/xcommentary/