The other games today 2017/18

Greg

Guest firetotheworks

He couldn't though [emoji38] It's a 50/50 because he's going with his foot. If he goes with his head he's got no chance of getting there.

If it was Mitrovic, we'd be blaming him for giving the ref a decision to make. Simple as that. He went for the 50-50, got it wrong, and the consequence is a sending off and a suspension. I'm sure the players know the rules like.

Ah I absolutely would, but Mitrovic probably would have meant it. [emoji38] I think Klaus and V.I have probably got the answer.

All you've said there is that he shouldn't have done what he did. I'm asking what he should or could have done.

He should/could have realised the keeper has gotten to the ball first, it's at head height, and that a Liu Kang flying kick isn't going to achieve anything positive. As soon as he realised that he could/should have simply jumped for the ball hoping for a block or just to put the keeper off. Some players jump and turn their backs mid air for example. It's actually quite common to have this situation where it's a 55:45 ball (as opposed to 50:50) and the player on the 45 end will change their attempt to get to the ball first instinctively, especially if it's a keeper who is favourite.

Absolutely no way is trying to get a foot on the ball at that height reasonable or acceptable, let alone when he's running in at that speed and jumping off the ground. What he did is the exact equivalent of jumping in studs up with 2 feet aiming for a ball that's on the ground but which the opposition player has gotten to first. That type of challenge is deemed a highly dangerous potential leg breaker, an instant red card, with zero consideration of notions of intent or "what else he could do if he wants to get the ball".

Players are simply expected to know not to do something dangerous when challenging for a ball. It's hardly unreasonable.

Exactly. Pulling out of a dangerous situation isn't cowardice IMO. He's a professional athlete, not William Wallace!

Aye. Even if he 'won' the ball and made no contact with the keeper. Surely it is dangerous play anyway? I have had to pull out of headed challenges because some numpty would have kicked my face off playing Sunday League :lol:

I think the broken bones in his face have probably ended the debate about whether it should have been a red tbh. That shouldn't happen unless the keeper is diving at a player's feet.

The resulting injury is irrelevant. Honestly can't fathom what has become of our once proud sport.

All you've said there is that he shouldn't have done what he did. I'm asking what he should or could have done.

He should/could have realised the keeper has gotten to the ball first, it's at head height, and that a Liu Kang flying kick isn't going to achieve anything positive. As soon as he realised that he could/should have simply jumped for the ball hoping for a block or just to put the keeper off. Some players jump and turn their backs mid air for example. It's actually quite common to have this situation where it's a 55:45 ball (as opposed to 50:50) and the player on the 45 end will change their attempt to get to the ball first instinctively, especially if it's a keeper who is favourite.

Absolutely no way is trying to get a foot on the ball at that height reasonable or acceptable, let alone when he's running in at that speed and jumping off the ground. What he did is the exact equivalent of jumping in studs up with 2 feet aiming for a ball that's on the ground but which the opposition player has gotten to first. That type of challenge is deemed a highly dangerous potential leg breaker, an instant red card, with zero consideration of notions of intent or "what else he could do if he wants to get the ball".

Players are simply expected to know not to do something dangerous when challenging for a ball. It's hardly unreasonable.

Exactly. Pulling out of a dangerous situation isn't cowardice IMO. He's a professional athlete, not William Wallace!

Aye, he knows he's not favourite but if he gets the ball he's scored, so he's gone and done something hella dangerous.

I think the broken bones in his face have probably ended the debate about whether it should have been a red tbh. That shouldn't happen unless the keeper is diving at a player's feet.

The resulting injury is irrelevant. Honestly can't fathom what has become of our once proud sport.

It's not like. Going in fly kicking close to opponents will often result in serious injury.

Much like lunging in both feet off the ground is a leg breaker.

A two footed challenge like that is a foul regardless of winning the ball or not though :lol: Mane could have won the ball and would have been left with an open goal. Ibra has scored loads of goals where he's used his foot challenging against a head, as long as you get it right it's not a foul. Mane is rapid as fuck and would have beaten a lot of other keepers to that ball, it obviously looks worse on replays but in real time I think he was right to go for it and it was just unfortunate how it played out.

That Mané lunge is as red as it gets. If you have to sprint and karate kick in the air (while you "should" be aware of the rushing goalie) to touch the ball, then you run the obvious risk of a red. I see Clattenburg claiming it should be a yellow because he was "focused on the ball". Baffling.