The other games today 2017/18

Greg

I think a red like that should be one game ban though, it's a really harsh punishment. Three game bans should be reserved for elbows, headbutts and leg breakers IMO

He broke Ederson's jaw most likely

He's just going for the ball though it's not like he's kicked Ederson full force in the face on purpose. Ederson is the one making the forward movement

so if a player two foots someone but he's going for the ball is it not a red?

No, because when you're going in two footed you are the one making the movement to recklessly go in. Mane just kind of left his foot there

Left his foot in there? he fully kicked him in the face. I'd be vert surprised if Ederson hasn't got any broken bones

Ederson was the one coming out full force. Mane was trying to trap the ball in the air. As I said it's a red probably but I think a three game ban is harsh

DJSAamMX0AMnsU-.jpg:large

Do it two minutes into a game and you don't even get a yellow card! Fantastic consistency from the refs.

And that one was worse as that player had no chance of reaching the ball, when you could argue Mane could.

I agree that should have been a red, but Mane's is more dangerous just because of how fast he was flying in.

Carragher was bang on the money with the 'eye on the ball' nonsense like. Did he think there was going to be nobody there when he jumped in with his foot head height? Total disregard for what's around him. Clear red card.

Debatable red card aside, do we ban overhead kicks then?

DJSAamMX0AMnsU-.jpg:large

Do it two minutes into a game and you don't even get a yellow card! Fantastic consistency from the refs.

And that one was worse as that player had no chance of reaching the ball, when you could argue Mane could.

I agree that should have been a red, but Mane's is more dangerous just because of how fast he was flying in.

It's amazing the amount of different opinions on these things, it's why we love football like.

Lots of reds are because the player has gone in with excessive force, Mane had only 1 way of getting the ball and a fraction of a second quicker and he'd have got to the ball and been cleaned out. Would the keeper have been sent off? The injury shouldn't influence the decision. I'm really not sure what else Mane could have done?

I think the answer is you can't challenge with your foot that close to an opponents head at that speed full stop. You can say it's soft and all but plenty of athletes have died to head trauma. If that doesn't qualify as 'endangering the safety of a player' what on earth does?

I'd call it a hospital ball, both players had to go for it and one was always likely to get hurt. If you're a competitor you're not going to not challenge for that ball. If you're someone who wouldn't go for it you wouldn't be playing in the first place.

Carragher was bang on the money with the 'eye on the ball' nonsense like. Did he think there was going to be nobody there when he jumped in with his foot head height? Total disregard for what's around him. Clear red card.

Only if someone is within 10m of you. So overhead kicks are purely for goalkeepers making unchallenged clearances.

If you kick someone in the head then yes. If it's not endangering an oppenent, no. Shite comparison.

I think a red like that should be one game ban though, it's a really harsh punishment. Three game bans should be reserved for elbows, headbutts and leg breakers IMO

He's just going for the ball though it's not like he's kicked Ederson full force in the face on purpose. Ederson is the one making the forward movement

No, because when you're going in two footed you are the one making the movement to recklessly go in. Mane just kind of left his foot there

Left his foot in there? he fully kicked him in the face. I'd be vert surprised if Ederson hasn't got any broken bones

Ederson was the one coming out full force. Mane was trying to trap the ball in the air. As I said it's a red probably but I think a three game ban is harsh

No, it's not harsh. How can you even say that it's harsh? Mitrovic scratched Lanzini gets up after 10 seconds, gets a 3 match ban. Mane breaks Ederson's jaw and Ederson gets carried of the pitch after 8 mins: "well, it's harsh to give him 3 match ban.."

Seriously?

If you kick someone in the head then yes. If it's not endangering an oppenent, no. s**** comparison.

You could still endanger someone without actually kicking him the head, off a ball coming from a corner in a crowded box like.

Guest neesy111

Neville saying that there wasn't a reaction round the ground so it didn't need to be a red card or something along those lines which is nonsese

Basically asking for refs to be biased to the opinions of the crowd isn't it?

Funny how an ex man utd player has that view.

No, it's not harsh. How can you even say that it's harsh? Mitrovic scratched Lanzini gets up after 10 seconds, gets a 3 match ban. Mane breaks Ederson's jaw and Ederson gets carried of the pitch after 8 mins: "well, it's harsh to give him 3 match ban.."

Seriously?

The injury shouldn't matter to the punishment, and an intended crime should always carry a greater punishment than an accidental one

If you kick someone in the head then yes. If it's not endangering an oppenent, no. s**** comparison.

You could still endanger someone without actually kicking him the head, off a ball coming from a corner like.

It is, like many things, ref's judgement call as to if the player is out of control and reckless with the heads of the other players around him. Most overhead kicks I don't think qualify for that.

You could still endanger someone without actually kicking him the head, off a ball coming from a corner in a crowded box like.

Which have resulted in free kicks for years now

Neville saying that there wasn't a reaction round the ground so it didn't need to be a red card or something along those lines which is nonsese

Basically asking for refs to be biased to the opinions of the crowd isn't it?

Just think it's a daft thing to say when no one thought it was a red at first on TV or in the ground but after replays it's clear he kicks him in the head

With the new rules or guidelines on head injuries, isn't the ref supposed to order any player off who looks a bit groggy in case they are concussed? If that is the case, you have to take a much stricter line on fouls to the head because they are more likely to end up with the opponent off the pitch.

3-0

Which have resulted in free kicks for years now

:thup: