The other games today 2017/18

Greg

Guest firetotheworks

Klopp talking some absolute bollocks blaming the drubbing on bad luck [emoji38] Sad that he's become one of them. Just lose with grace man, admit they were played off the park after the red, and just move on. I'm quite sure he would have been singing a different tune had that been Aguero on Mignolet, and no red card had been shown.

No one in their right mind is going to view that as a drubbing or insist that they were played off the park, like. A man down against Man City and they'll do that to anyone. Liverpool's own 4-0 win over Arsenal was both of those things, this wasn't.

Both have the right to go for the ball. Both could have hurt the other. I can completely understand why a red was given by the rules as they are, and if that happened against us I'd be baying for blood. My question would be what should Mané have done differently? He has to go in in that way if it's there for the taking and he's in any way a competitive athlete.

Not with your studs at face height, he could have challenged for it with his head if he was half a second quicker, possibly. But he was never going to get the ball either way and should have done neither.

Both have the right to go for the ball. Both could have hurt the other. I can completely understand why a red was given by the rules as they are, and if that happened against us I'd be baying for blood. My question would be what should Mané have done differently? He has to go in in that way if it's there for the taking and he's in any way a competitive athlete.

He could have not gone for it with a running flying kick at head height. Absolutely insane thing to do.

Yeah no chance goal down and down to 10, had it still been 0-0 could have gone backs to the wall defending and tried to nick a goal late but that wasn't an option. Harsh perhaps, and I don't rate Liverpools defence much but really shrug that one down to the red card that was fair imo but bad luck considering lack of malice.

Guest firetotheworks

There's no chance in the world that he's getting there with his head. So how else is he getting to it? Just don't go for it?

He could have not gone for it with a running flying kick at head height. Absolutely insane thing to do.

Pretty much.

There's no chance in the world that he's getting there with his head. So how else is he getting to it? Just don't go for it?

Well yeah exactly. Even if he did get the ball first, with your studs at that height it is dangerous play.

He did what came to him instinctively trying to flick the ball over the keeper with his toe. Couldn't have done much else if he wanted to go for the ball IMO. He put himself at risk of committing serious foul play and was rightly sent off for it. It also means that he clearly saw the keeper coming.

Guest firetotheworks

Well yeah exactly. Even if he did get the ball first, with your studs at that height it is dangerous play.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if the alternative is him not going for the ball, that brings in other criticisms.

Klopp talking some absolute bollocks blaming the drubbing on bad luck [emoji38] Sad that he's become one of them. Just lose with grace man, admit they were played off the park after the red, and just move on. I'm quite sure he would have been singing a different tune had that been Aguero on Mignolet, and no red card had been shown.

No one in their right mind is going to view that as a drubbing or insist that they were played off the park, like. A man down against Man City and they'll do that to anyone. Liverpool's own 4-0 win over Arsenal was both of those things, this wasn't.

They were only 1-0 down when Mane got sent off. They could have kept it tight and sat back to prevent a heavy defeat. Instead he chucked the game taking off his attacking players and did nothing to prevent what ended up being a 5-0 drubbing. Also claiming that Mane didn't see the keeper is poor by him IMO. If he hadn't seen the keeper, he wouldn't have been trying to flick it over him, and would have clattered into his body instead.

Pretty much.

Absolutely. First glance I thought it was bollocks but when you consider the height it's a red like.

To answer KI's question he could go for it with his head like the keeper did.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if the alternative is him not going for the ball, that brings in other criticisms.

He was right to chase after the ball, but he should have realised he wasn't going to get there and backed out of the challenge in the end.

He's not gone to prison like. He's got a red card for dangerous play and will serve the normal suspension.

It's not like the ball was shin or knee length and the goalkeepers come in head/arms first but low down, that would be a different situation.

The gk is outside the area and a normal player contesting a 50/50. On the halfway line you can't  run at an opponent full-pelt, jump with both feet in the air, studs up, lose the 50/50 and make contact with the opponent, let alone kick him in the head.

Dangerous. Close but ultimately mistimed. Out of control of his body. Yes, it was a committed challenge, no malice but also as clear a red you'll ever see.

Nani against Bayern - fair red.

Nigel de Jong against Alonso - should've been a red.

Guest firetotheworks

@mojo

He couldn't though [emoji38] It's a 50/50 because he's going with his foot. If he goes with his head he's got no chance of getting there.

Guest firetotheworks

He was right to chase after the ball, but he should have realised he wasn't going to get there and backed out of the challenge in the end.

Probably the right answer. It's the sort of thing that would have been seen as cowardice before incidents like this.

He couldn't though [emoji38] It's a 50/50 because he's going with his foot. If he goes with his head he's got no chance of getting there.

If it was Mitrovic, we'd be blaming him for giving the ref a decision to make. Simple as that. He went for the 50-50, got it wrong, and the consequence is a sending off and a suspension. I'm sure the players know the rules like.

All you've said there is that he shouldn't have done what he did. I'm asking what he should or could have done.

He should/could have realised the keeper has gotten to the ball first, it's at head height, and that a Liu Kang flying kick isn't going to achieve anything positive. As soon as he realised that he could/should have simply jumped for the ball hoping for a block or just to put the keeper off. Some players jump and turn their backs mid air for example. It's actually quite common to have this situation where it's a 55:45 ball (as opposed to 50:50) and the player on the 45 end will change their attempt to get to the ball first instinctively, especially if it's a keeper who is favourite.

Absolutely no way is trying to get a foot on the ball at that height reasonable or acceptable, let alone when he's running in at that speed and jumping off the ground. What he did is the exact equivalent of jumping in studs up with 2 feet aiming for a ball that's on the ground but which the opposition player has gotten to first. That type of challenge is deemed a highly dangerous potential leg breaker, an instant red card, with zero consideration of notions of intent or "what else he could do if he wants to get the ball".

Players are simply expected to know not to do something dangerous when challenging for a ball. It's hardly unreasonable.