Newcastle United 1 - 0 Burton Albion - 05/04/17 - NUFC relegated to League Two

Dave

Love how there is more Burton players encroaching than Newcastle :lol:

Encroaching should only come into play if there's a rebound. Why does it even matter if a defender is in the box if the player scores or puts it wide?

If my reading of the rules are correct, the penalty should have been re-taken whether Ritchie scores or not, right? Since there are players from both teams encroaching? Either way, refs needs to start applying this rule, because it gives a massive advantage to teams abusing the fact that it's never applied. Just have the linesman flag if there's a player in the box when the penalty is taken. Yes, there'll be loads of penalties being re-taken for a while, but it's well worth it.

The level of officiating in this league is absolutely hilarious, it really does seem that they just pluck Sunday league refs and whack them in charge of games at this level, which is mental. What's even more mental is that we always get them and they always end up costing us and never the other way round.

"Lapse in concentration", roughly translated as "the ref is a complete spaz who's misinterpreted one of the most basic laws in the game, thank christ Newcastle went on to win the game so we don't have more explaining to do".

Encroaching should only come into play if there's a rebound. Why does it even matter if a defender is in the box if the player scores or puts it wide?

??? It doesn't.

:lol:

Atsu had a good game and we're a better team with him rather than without him.  We played OK tonight under really difficult circumstances caused by an inept referee.

??? It doesn't.

It does if it's a defender in the box and the striker misses it. It then should be re-taken. But according to the idiot tonight, I suppose we would have been given an indirect free kick in the box or something :lol:

Well that was batshit crazy! From where I was sitting (about 10 metres away) it appeared that the 4th official called the ref over, brought an iPad across and, I assume, Googled the rules. I couldn't hear what they were saying (the booing was that loud), but definitely saw the fourth official telling him he was wrong. Never seen anything like it. Fair play to admitting to their mistake... the cynic in me tells me had it been a draw or loss they'd have been making up any reason under the sun for the decision.

Getting back to the game...I thought we played the best football we've played in a long time, but still lacked that final ball / finish. Some very nice passing moves at times. Ritchie MOM. Diame and Atsu v good. Nice to see Mbemba back and playing quite well (apart from a bit of miscommunication with Darlow once or twice). All round, decent stuff.

What f***ing choice did they have? :lol: The time for him/them to commendably admit it was when confronted with the evidence you speak of, surely.

Well yeah :lol: I just mean it feels a bit refreshing to hear the refs actually say they got it wrong. Rarely happens. Obviously if we hadn't won I might not be feeling so forgiving.

Stroud was caught bang to rights, if he hadn't been such a stubborn cunt he would have admitted he was wrong when he was pulled up. He can shove his apology up his arse.

This is actually one of the worst decisions ever made, not decisions about a what's foul, offside or whether a foul was in or outside the box. I mean in regard to basic refereeing and understanding the actual rules.

This was a basic rule that a ref should know, and it's never ever ever been a free kick for encroachment. For a ref to get it so wrong, well he should be sacked from professional refereeing, it's an absolute disgrace and utterly ridculous that he could even think he was in the right.

And what makes it worse is he consulted the linesman and 4th official and none of them could get it right, all of them should be removed from professional football.

No I mean it literally doesn't matter. The rules are simple:

http://i.imgur.com/WOPdVPc.png

That's not what he meant though, if I'm reading things correctly. Shearergol is saying that if the pen is put wide or in the back of the net, it doesn't matter if there is an encroachment.

??? It doesn't.

Doesn't it? So defenders are allowed to do it???

That's not what he meant though, if I'm reading things correctly. Shearergol is saying that if the pen is put wide or in the back of the net, it doesn't matter if there is an encroachment.

Correct.

:lol:

Atsu had a good game and we're a better team with him rather than without him.  We played OK tonight under really difficult circumstances caused by an inept referee.

Nah, he's bang average even in this league. Miscontrols the ball often, makes the wrong decisions, rarely uses his pace which is his best attribute. Just because he has a lot of the ball doesn't mean he does a lot of good with it.

Nah, he's bang average even in this league. Miscontrols the ball often, makes the wrong decisions, rarely uses his pace which is his best attribute. Just because he has a lot of the ball doesn't mean he does a lot of good with it.

He gives us balance that we don't have when he 's not playing.  He can be a bit frustrating at times just like most of our other players.

FWIW Keith Stroud has been absolutely despised at Brentford for a long time. Known as a complete and utter joke of a referee, the ref that you always sigh when you see he's been given your game. I've seen him have many a nightmare game where you're left genuinely wondering how the guy is a referee.

If we scored as we did, Gayles encroachment should have meant a retake. If Ritchie had missed but a Burton player had encroached then it should have been retaken, if Ritchie had scored when a Burton player had encroached it should have stood. Players from both teams encroaching means a retake.

??? It doesn't.

Doesn't it? So defenders are allowed to do it???

Effectively yeah. If the goal is scored, the defenders' actions are rendered meaningless by the rule above. Think I've just misinterpreted your point tbh.