Newcastle United lose Judicial Review against HMRC

ChrisMcQuillan

Relating to 5M Quid of "fraud".  In the world of football that is a minor oversight at worst.  You are talking about 100's of Millions of Pounds in transactions taking place.

We probably didn't pay enough VAT on the pies sold at half time or something!

£5m, I doubt it's the club then as if it was then it would be a lot more, too much trouble to go to for only £5m.

I can't imagine Ashley pays Charnley anywhere near enough money that he's committed £5m worth of tax fraud

£5m, I doubt it's the club then as if it was then it would be a lot more, too much trouble to go to for only £5m.

I can't imagine Ashley pays Charnley anywhere near enough money that he's committed £5m worth of tax fraud

Doesn't have too, Charnley just has to milk it off the clubs other accounts and take it himself.

Relating to 5M Quid of "fraud".  In the world of football that is a minor oversight at worst.  You are talking about 100's of Millions of Pounds in transactions taking place.

Well it's income tax and national insurance, so could be player wages.

Most big earners will be using tax avoidance companies to handle their salaries.  I imagine the footballers are no different....  paying large sums of money into overseas holding companies and paying themselves dividends rather than salaries.  If Charney is implicated in assisting this sort of activity, maybe that could be part of the investigation.... (?)

It is not actually illegal, more of a loophole but, depending on how it is conducted it could contravene some of the HMRC rules!

Most big earners will be using tax avoidance companies to handle their salaries.  I imagine the footballers are no different....  paying large sums of money into overseas holding companies and paying themselves dividends rather than salaries.  If Charney is implicated in assisting this sort of activity, maybe that could be part of the investigation.... (?)

It is not actually illegal, more of a loophole but, depending on how it is conducted it could contravene some of the HMRC rules!

Yup. I'd be very surprised if NUFC are knowingly outright breaking the law. As much as we hate Ashley, he comes across as someone who knows all the necessary loopholes inside out.

Surely this is personal prosecution? income tax & ni?

Surely Charnley doesn't pay £5m in NI and tax in the first place, never mind would he be able to dodge that much.  My worry would be if it's something where we've come up with some 'creative' bonus system to avoid our players paying as much tax or NI as they should, so we can give players a bigger take-home wage without having to shell out as much.  That would definitely be something which would have given us an on-pitch advantage and be deserving of a sporting penalty as well as a legal one.

Guest neesy111

Surely Charnley doesn't pay £5m in NI and tax in the first place, never mind would he be able to dodge that much.  My worry would be if it's something where we've come up with some 'creative' bonus system to avoid our players paying as much tax or NI as they should, so we can give players a bigger take-home wage without having to shell out as much.  That would definitely be something which would have given us an on-pitch advantage and be deserving of a sporting penalty as well as a legal one.

Think the £5m is the total they are investigating from various individuals.

That's what I am thinking.

It's that egg shaped head prick's personal returns and stuff that's been fraudulently done.

Doesn't appear to have anything to do with Newcastle United limited as a company.

Not yet anyway.