Newcastle United lose Judicial Review against HMRC

ChrisMcQuillan

There's no way any sort of punishment would be given to the club without the case going to trial, I can't see anyway that would happen before August.

This

More bargaining power for Rafa!!

There's no way any sort of punishment would be given to the club without the case going to trial, I can't see anyway that would happen before August.

Start the prem season with a 10 point deduction.

Least it gives are title rivals a bit of a chance.

As powerful as the guys at HMRC are, I don't think they can impose sporting penalties on football teams. So hopefully this is just a fine for the financial side of the club type deal.

We've definitely made signings as favours to agencies in France, but that's different to not paying your tax on them. Weird one, fingers crossed it doesn't impact the playing side though.

As powerful as the guys at HMRC are, I don't think they can impose sporting penalties on football teams. So hopefully this is just a fine for the financial side of the club type deal.

We've definitely made signings as favours to agencies in France, but that's difference to not paying your tax on them. Weird one, fingers crossed it doesn't impact the playing side though.

Depends on what the leagues rules are. HMRC couldn't go beyond fining the business and maybe a jail term, the Premier league/football league on the other hand.........

HMRC must have been looking into this for a while as arrests have been made. So something/someone must have gone to HMRC

I reckon folk will have been paying a lot of attention to Ashley for a while and I can imagine the authorities have been going through his finances with a fine tooth comb for some time in an effort to bring him down.

Guest neesy111

We've definitely made signings as favours to agencies in France, but that's different to not paying your tax on them. Weird one, fingers crossed it doesn't impact the playing side though.

Those favours could involve different tax terms.....

It's obviously way too early to speculate on what exactly the bizzies have discovered, who is responsible and what the impact will be but fuck it let's do it anyway.

Income tax and NI suggests it's related to the club and payroll rather than Charnley personally, so if he is on the hook then it's reasonable to think that others will be too. You'd also expect an investigation that takes in numerous clubs and countries to take a while to complete, so the immediate threat probably isn't that great (innocent until proven guilty, and all that shite).

If the club are directly involved (doubt they are, just a dickhead at the top using the club) then the club will have too lawyers onto the case. These lawyers will first postpone any court dealing for as long as possible and will argue that it was a case of a rouge individual rather than the club. They will also argue how the club have been coorooirative and if they are to be punished then it should be in the form of a fine and an official warning.

This ..

it could be well over a year before any trial.

Guest neesy111

People would do well do remember that simiilar happened when Souness was here.

That was transfer dealings, not Payroll taxes.

People would do well do remember that simiilar happened when Souness was here.

That was an investigation over transfers though, wasn't it? That hasn't been confirmed here yet. Or has it?

HMRC must have been looking into this for a while as arrests have been made. So something/someone must have gone to HMRC

I reckon folk will have been paying a lot of attention to Ashley for a while and I can imagine the authorities have been going through his finances with a fine tooth comb for some time in an effort to bring him down.

Hopefully, the catalyst that will make him sell the club?

If the club are directly involved (doubt they are, just a dickhead at the top using the club) then the club will have too lawyers onto the case. These lawyers will first postpone any court dealing for as long as possible and will argue that it was a case of a rouge individual rather than the club. They will also argue how the club have been coorooirative and if they are to be punished then it should be in the form of a fine and an official warning.

Love the idea of a rouge individual, I bet they're left red-faced

Guest neesy111

Doesn't really help to speculate as to what it might be at the moment.

Well, it's being REPORTED that it's to do with Income and NI.