Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

Went searching for my old posts on Bramble:

haha, anyone that thinks bramble is worth 'one more go' is a complete moron, they use the fact that we paid 4.5m for him and he's walked away for nothing as a negative, which is correct, but thats the fault of bobby robson i'm afraid lads, titus doesnt have a brain, and bobby should have recognised that before he signed him

:lol:

Was absolutely pig sick of Bramble by the time he left. Remember at the start of 06/07 Roeder saying he was excited about going into the season with Bramble/Taylor as our dependable British CB duo. You just know it's gonna be a pants season. Meanwhile you had the 'brilliant' Stephen Carr bombing down the right.

One of the biggest blunders Robson made was showing so much faith in signing him rather than just giving Distin the wage he wanted to stay instead (which was parity with Robert which was fair enough given he was our best CB by a country mile until Woody came in).

Brambles very average games far outweighed his decent ones. His good games were very rare.

That's absolute nonsense, like. And I don't just mean the typically strange way you've worded it - like very average at PL level and decent at PL level are hugely contrasting assessments. :lol: He was basically either good, or a blatant rick or two spoiled his performance. There was very little mediocrity to be found in an individual Bramble performance. Bobby was right to speculate and sign him because he had everything physically and technically, just not nearly enough between the ears nor the concentration span.

Almost wrote this word for word. Only reading now. The lad had talent.  But I've never seen a defender so calamity prone. 1 huge clanger per game on average.  The nerves it would spread to the team.

One of the biggest blunders Robson made was showing so much faith in signing him rather than just giving Distin the wage he wanted to stay instead (which was parity with Robert which was fair enough given he was our best CB by a country mile until Woody came in).

Agreed - or went for Ehioghu or Southgate before Boro swooped!

Sure someone will pick me up on this, but I seem to remember Bramble having an absolutely brilliant game against Juventus in the CL.  I remember thinking that if only he could play like that on a regular basis, he'd be a great defender.  Just a shame he could never cut out the errors.

Fair play to Ronaldo mind. I looked through the 2007 thread of Bramble and expected to see him slagging Bramble off and I was wrong. He has the same opinion of him now as he did then.

Completely against the opinion of everyone else in that thread like.  :lol:

Sure someone will pick me up on this, but I seem to remember Bramble having an absolutely brilliant game against Juventus in the CL.  I remember thinking that if only he could play like that on a regular basis, he'd be a great defender.  Just a shame he could never cut out the errors.

That was probably his stand out game in his Newcastle career. For all those saying Robson made a mistake in signing him, we did play CL football during Bramble's time here so as far as mistakes go it wasn't the worst.

That was probably his stand out game in his Newcastle career. For all those saying Robson made a mistake in signing him, we did play CL football during Bramble's time here so as far as mistakes go it wasn't the worst.

Bramble only actually started 13 games that season. Our record when Bramble started that first season he was here when we finished 3rd:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=15050&season_id=132

P13 W6 D2 L5 F23 A18

That means in the 25 games he didn't start...

P25 W15 D4 L6 F40 A30

Nearly 2 points a game when he didn't start. 

And just to see the "Woodgate effect" to see our record when it was Woodgate & O'Brien, and Woodgate & Bramble over the end of that season and 2003/4 season: (always seem to remember people saying Bramble looked better than O'Brien next to Woodgate).

Woodgate & Bramble

P13 W6 D3 L4 conceded 15

Woodgate & O'Brien

P13 W5 D6 L2 conceded 11

And just to see the "Woodgate effect" to see our record when it was Woodgate & O'Brien, and Woodgate & Bramble over the end of that season and 2003/4 season: (always seem to remember people saying Bramble looked better than O'Brien next to Woodgate).

Woodgate & Bramble

P13 W6 D3 L4 conceded 15

Woodgate & O'Brien

P13 W5 D6 L2 conceded 11

Love a stats-fest!

Woodgate & Bramble

P13 W6 D3 L4 conceded 15

Woodgate & O'Brien

P13 W5 D6 L2 conceded 11

Love a stats-fest!

They annoy the fuck out of me. :lol:

Didn't he score an overhead kick against mallorca? or have a made that up?

I was at that game, free tickets and players lounge thanks to Titus. He scored but it was so long ago I can`t remember how. He also kept Eto quite all game. From memory he was good at marking out all the top players, Nistlerooy, Henry. I am pretty sure all his mistakes were against mid table and lower.

So every attribute except the most important one? :lol:

That's it, basically. If you looked at him as a 21-year-old, especially after he scored that wonder goal for Ipswich, you'd think with experience and maturation he'd be brilliant, but his brain of mush ruined it.