Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

He was a mainstay of the very good defence that helped us finish 2nd in consecutive seasons, like. Obviously not a world beater but he'd moonwalk into pretty much every defence we've had since.

He was a mainstay of the very good defence that helped us finish 2nd in consecutive seasons, like. Obviously not a world beater but he'd moonwalk into pretty much every defence we've had since.

I doubt he'd manage a moonwalk. What with one his legs being shorter than the other :lol:

I doubt he'd manage a moonwalk. What with one his legs being shorter than the other :lol:

Harsh. Suspect it wouldn't be a disadvantage, probs just add a jaunty hip roll to the move. He might even chuck in a hair-toss/head-bang or two as icing on the cake.

Guest reefatoon

The season we should have won it and finished second, Peacock was actually player of the season. He was a cracking solid defender.

Not the most exciting start to our signings with Atsu and this bloke, but that's the good thing about having a manager who knows the game inside out. We'll probably be marvelling at Rafa's judgement in four months time when Lejeune turns out to be the top notch CB we've been crying out for for so long. Hopefully.

think this is a good point that's been largely overlooked on here during our summer inactivity so far - we're not being linked with spectacular names that most of us would like to see, on the other hand we have a class manager who can build a team and a unit so if we're signing them it's for a reason

total opposite of the scattergun carr/pardew years

We've only ever had one defender in the top flight PFA team of the year..............he also featured in the 2nd flight PFA team of the year too  :D :D :D

Not the most exciting start to our signings with Atsu and this bloke, but that's the good thing about having a manager who knows the game inside out. We'll probably be marvelling at Rafa's judgement in four months time when Lejeune turns out to be the top notch CB we've been crying out for for so long. Hopefully.

think this is a good point that's been largely overlooked on here during our summer inactivity so far - we're not being linked with spectacular names that most of us would like to see, on the other hand we have a class manager who can build a team and a unit so if we're signing them it's for a reason

total opposite of the scattergun carr/pardew years

I find it hard to get excited by the signings so far, but my head tells me that this one is probably going to look a lot better than it seems in a few months time. Exactly the type of low key signing that a good manager can make. I am just impatient to see the same sort of signings in midfield and up front.

The season we surrendered the league title (finished runners up) was certainly down to our defence and bottling the final run in mentally.

Our mentality under Keegan was we will score more than you, not we have a sound back four that rarely ships goals.

Cant say we ever had a solid back four.

Flawed debate.

The season we surrendered the league title (finished runners up) was certainly down to our defence and bottling the final run in mentally.

Our mentality under Keegan was we will score more than you, not we have a sound back four that rarely ships goals.

Cant say we ever had a solid back four.

Flawed debate.

Not sure the numbers tally with your assertion, nor my memory for that matter. I know it was a popular conclusion 'they can't defend' and than 'they've a we'll score one more than you mentality' but we finished 4 points behind a very good Man Utd side (the foundation of which would go on and win The Champions League). Who beat us at their place and (somehow) at ours: our only home defeat. We only conceded 2 more goals than them. We scored 7 fewer. We kept 13 clean sheets (though only three were away). That was the same as Arsenal,who conceded the fewest goals that year (finished 5th). 

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, the talk was that we were cavalier, but the only matches I remember being like that were Liverpool away and Villa at home. The memories I have are of the 0-1 to Man United, the 4-3 to Liverpool, Fenton, Woan and losing against (I think) West Ham and Wimbledon. I was only 11 but I can still remember the tension, nervousness, and anxiety among me and my mates, particularly after the 2-1 loss to Blackburn. I remember vividly watching it on Sky and within minutes going from thinking we'd win the league when Batty put us 1-0 up, to thinking that we wouldn't when Blackburn went ahead. It really spun around in that one moment for me. I'll never ever forget it.

Yeah, the talk was that we were cavalier, but the only matches I remember being like that were Liverpool away and Villa at home. The memories I have are of the 0-1 to Man United, the 4-3 to Liverpool, Fenton, Woan and losing against (I think) West Ham and Wimbledon. I was only 11 but I can still remember the tension, nervousness, and anxiety among me and my mates, particularly after the 2-1 loss to Blackburn. I remember vividly watching it on Sky and within minutes going from thinking we'd win the league when Batty put us 1-0 up, to thinking that we wouldn't when Blackburn went ahead. It really spun around in that one moment for me. I'll never ever forget it.

Villa home was 1-0 that season - the Bez strop!

4-3 Yorke hat trick was the season after!

Guest firetotheworks

Villa home was 1-0 that season - the Bez strop!

4-3 Yorke hat trick was the season after!

Aha! You're right, I had a feeling I'd got one of those wrong in that. Just the 4-3 to Liverpool then that season that I remember tbh. Absolutely no denying that we were all out attack, mind. But pretty much proved that attack is the best form of defence for the most part though, even going on the stats.

I think the can't defend reputation came about because we only knew one way of playing and that was attack which worked great for the most part as our home record shows. Some games it didn't though, especially against some teams who were set up in a way that countered our strengths quite well. Keegan didn't really have a B plan for when that happened and he got criticised for it. Even worse when he was England manager.

Not sure if this is the first time I've agreed with you (there must have been other occasions) - but Peacock was hugely underrated for us.  In that era, he was a very very good defender.

He looks like a canny beefy motherfucker like. Happy days.

He's proper slow apparently

Reminds me a little of Woodgate in those respects. Not quick and he doesn't look "beefy" but strong, attributes that made Woodgate the defender he was as he made up for his lacks in ways that made him excellent........when he played. Here's hoping similar with this bloke.

He looks like a canny beefy motherfucker like. Happy days.

He's proper slow apparently

Reminds me a little of Woodgate in those respects. Not quick and he doesn't look "beefy" but strong, attributes that made Woodgate the defender he was as he made up for his lacks in ways that made him excellent........when he played. Here's hoping similar with this bloke.

Woodgate not quick?