Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

Guest godzilla

This fellow has made a massive difference since his return. No coincidence that Lascelles form has massively improved since he came back either.

This fellow has made a massive difference since his return. No coincidence that Lascelles form has massively improved since he came back either.

It seems like the two of them just connected instantly, then he got his injury, and he came back and it was like they'd never been apart. Is Scelles French for anything?

Apparently it means to put a seal on things. Perfect.

Honestly, Lejeune is a better player in every department to Colo in my eyes.

Can't say I agree with that. Colo, at his best was about as classy a centre back as you're likely to see. Fantastic on the ball, smart at interceptions, great distribution and a leader by example.

I'm a massive fan of Lejeune and I do think he has all of the above attributes but to say he's better in every department is a bit of an exaggeration. It's a shame Colo's latter seasons seem to have soured the perception of just how good he was for the two at his peak.

Can't say I agree with that. Colo, at his best was about as classy a centre back as you're likely to see. Fantastic on the ball, smart at interceptions, great distribution and a leader by example.

I'm a massive fan of Lejeune and I do think he has all of the above attributes but to say he's better in every department is a bit of an exaggeration. It's a shame Colo's latter seasons seem to have soured the perception of just how good he was for the two at his peak.

Honestly, I feel comfortable in saying I've seen nearly every single one of our matches from the Champo season to prime peak Colo in the 5th season to his demise...I've seen every match Lejeune has played for us as well and while he was a cool character on the ball with a great reading of the game, he did not have that diagonal ball in his locker at all nor the intelligence to start attacks from the back. I mean we're splitting atoms here because both were class, I just think honestly believe Lejeune has it all.

Honestly, I feel comfortable in saying I've seen nearly every single one of our matches from the Champo season to prime peak Colo in the 5th season to his demise...I've seen every match Lejeune has played for us as well and while he was a cool character on the ball with a great reading of the game, he did not have that diagonal ball in his locker at all nor the intelligence to start attacks from the back. I mean we're splitting atoms here because both were class, I just think honestly believe Lejeune has it all.

:thup: Either way it's refreshing to be discussing who was the better of two quality players (and one of them still active for us)!

I want to clarify that during the 1st Champo season i believe we had a very large number of games televised, and they were on ESPN3 in the US. Since NBC took the PL rights we've had access to every single PL game as well.

But in my post above, Colo set the standard for being a classy, game-reading, strong distributor of the ball. I just think when you compare his body of work (we were always under immense pressure when he played for us in the PL) compared to that of Lejeune, I see our current CB as being a better passer of the ball short and far, as good at reading the game, stronger against larger attackers, and probably net neutral on pace. I think we haven't even seen the best of Lejeune IMO.

I think the only thing Lejeune has above Colo is his long passing ability. Colo was phenomenal at his best. He was basically hitting 8/10 at the least every week for about two and a half years. The way he could calmly bring the ball away from dangerous areas, often with Enrique's help, but often also without, was the best I've seen from a Newcastle defender. Was very glad to see the back of him in the end but at his best he was unmovable.

The other thing Lejeune has is time. Coloccini was here long enough to make this question redundant, by simply stating that "Yes but Lejeune hasn't done it over a sustained period". Neither did Colo. 2 seasons he was top quality, you can already say that about Lejeune.

Why do you think people in the M-Dubz thread are categorically stating he is the best SINCE Given. TBF I don't think we have had a CB with whom to make that comparison.

Neither did Colo. 2 seasons he was top quality, you can already say that about Lejeune.

Lejeune hasn't even played 1 full season worth of appearances for us so I'm not sure how you can say that

Exactly, it's been a season and a half with a couple of long term absences :lol:

Neither did Colo. 2 seasons he was top quality, you can already say that about Lejeune.

Lejeune hasn't even played 1 full season worth of appearances for us so I'm not sure how you can say that

He's been here going on two years, and has barely put a foot wrong. All I was saying is that the conversation would be different, if Colo had maintained a standard that was worthy of comparison. The fact he didn't and is still our goto comparison says it all, though.

He's been here going on two years, and has barely put a foot wrong. All I was saying is that the conversation would be different, if Colo had maintained a standard that was worthy of comparison. The fact he didn't and is still our goto comparison says it all, though.

Tbf Lejeune was really shaky last season until Lascelles came back from injury

TBF he was. It could be argued that the whole team lost something in the loss of such an inspirational captain.

He was. He took a while to get fully match fit imho. I was in the away end at Southampton last season and we'd been superb, played them off the park, and even after they nicked one back, it was his foul which let them get a very very lucky draw.

If he was fully fit, he'd never have been caught like that.

He's been superb for the most part and his distribution is out of the top drawer. Love it when he gets the old 7 iron out of his bag and sticks on at Yedlin's feet from 80 yards away.

I think the only thing Lejeune has above Colo is his long passing ability. Colo was phenomenal at his best. He was basically hitting 8/10 at the least every week for about two and a half years. The way he could calmly bring the ball away from dangerous areas, often with Enrique's help, but often also without, was the best I've seen from a Newcastle defender. Was very glad to see the back of him in the end but at his best he was unmovable.

This for me too - it's a shame things went pear-shaped those last few seasons as a lot of our fans judge him off those seasons. He was absolutely immense for a sustained period! Man City were linked with him several times in 2013 ish iirc!?

I know Lejeune was great the back end of last season too so he obviously can do well in a normal back two but if we continue with the three at the back over the coming years its also harsh to judge Colo playing in a 2 under Pards vs. Lejeune playing under Rafa in a 3

I know Lejeune was great the back end of last season too so he obviously can do well in a normal back two but if we continue with the three at the back over the coming years its also harsh to judge Colo playing in a 2 under Pards vs. Lejeune playing under Rafa in a 3

alongside Williamson as well!

Who had more of a driver in his right boot than an iron :lol:.

Who had more of a driver in his right boot than an iron :lol:.

:lol: