Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

Aside from giving away some cheap free-kicks I thought he was pretty good today.

That and playing Abraham onside for the one Lascelles cleared off the line; the rest of the defence were perfectly organised. Otherwise I agree, he was fine.

I'd definitely bring Yedlin back in though.

Very average in defence and attack.

I actually thought he had a good game. Seems to have a decent touch and supports Richie a lot. Needs to work on final ball.

Agree. He's not great, but nowhere near as bad as people make out. Overlaps quite nicely going forward, defensively not great, but you get what you pay for I suppose.

He's a fucking fullback! That's not good enough unless you provide real ability going forward.

Abraham chance - he's literally touching him 1 seconds before he wrongly decides to play offside and Abraham's in on goal. There's no pressure on Fer when he decides to do this either.

Both he and Lascelles should be anticipating that as Abraham is not onside at any point really. At least Lascelles runs behind and makes the crucial block, Manquillo is still ball watching.

He's not very good but he's backup, we don't normally even have a back up, so this is progress.

This is what I don't get :lol:

He's clearly back up, and replaced Anita in the squad. Yet people are getting pissed off as if he's gonna start 25+ games. Yedlin will come back in.

College Dropout formatting in the style of a Sun article in that post.

Guess it was a case of managing the budget and maybe trusting Yedlin and Dummett.

Surely it would be better to not buy mediocre back up, and just play Gayle at RB if Yedlin was out?

College Dropout formatting in the style of a Sun article in that post.

Guess it was a case of managing the budget and maybe trusting Yedlin and Dummett.

It's not Rafa's fault. He clearly wanted another FB at a minimum.

The lad isn't of the quality i'd like us to be signing, that's it really. Joselu who I wasn't happy about looks to be very handy and will have a role here for some time if he keeps it up.

He'll be alright, and good competition for the team. Some players start on fire and settle in right away, others take time. Lets not write off Manquillo or Murphy because Joselu & Merino have come flying out the blocks. Same goes for Hayden & Lacelles, both have a lot to prove at this level and it will take time with so many questionable talents in the team (you could also question Perez, Shelvey & Gayle) but it looks like we've got the base of a decent young team, we just needed one or two key signings to really spark it in to life.

TBH i'm half expecting Yedlin to come back in and be off the pace and out of form, or simply just not as good as his Championship season due to opposition. He too will have some proving to do....seems to be the theme of the team, but better that than some of the known shite we've endured in this era.

He'll be alright, and good competition for the team. Some players start on fire and settle in right away, others take time. Lets not write off Manquillo or Murphy because Joselu & Merino have come flying out the blocks. Same goes for Hayden & Lacelles, both have a lot to prove at this level and it will take time with so many questionable talents in the team (you could also question Perez, Shelvey & Gayle) but it looks like we've got the base of a decent young team, we just needed one or two key signings to really spark it in to life.

TBH i'm half expecting Yedlin to come back in and be off the pace and out of form, or simply just not as good as his Championship season due to opposition. He too will have some proving to do....seems to be the theme of the team, but better that than some of the known shite we've endured in this era.

Good post. Bit in bold is something I think some need to realise, we've got one of the youngest squads in the league.

Seems to switch off and ball watch a lot. Did it v Spurs and again today for Abraham's chance. Simpson would have been proud of how far he backed off a couple of times early on.

£4m for a fullback gets you this kind of player. He just seems a bit partridgeshrug.gif to me.

Good post. Bit in bold is something I think some need to realise, we've got one of the youngest squads in the league.

Youngest average XI of all the teams this season I read before on twatter.

• 3 weeks later...