Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

On 15/02/2022 at 18:24, Optimistic Nut said:

He was bad first season, like. Think I’ll remember him like Acuna in the end. Probably deserved more starts in the end but never let us down.

He was never as bad as was made out. He was a bit too much safety first due to lack of confidence and fans picked up on that, but there were also signs of quality as well.

manquillo has only really begun to play well this year for me. Previous to this he was always a bit lightweight it seemed and his decision making was pretty bad (mostly bringing ball out). He seems to make better decisions and is much more robust in his defending.

Actually think he is a very good back up full back for Trippier, obviously a stepo down in level but good enough for the prem (unlike messers Krafth)

3 minutes ago, buzza said:

manquillo has only really begun to play well this year for me. Previous to this he was always a bit lightweight it seemed and his decision making was pretty bad (mostly bringing ball out). He seems to make better decisions and is much more robust in his defending.

Actually think he is a very good back up full back for Trippier, obviously a stepo down in level but good enough for the prem (unlike messers Krafth)

:mung:

In the context of being second and third choice RB, Manquillo and Krafth are pretty good players. If you look at typical teams we want to compete with and overtake next season:

West Ham: Ryan Fredericks, Ben Johnson

Villa: Young? Chambers?

Everton: Kenny, Patterson?

Would anyone prefer their options to ours?

Edited by Conjo

Krafth is limited, but I feel better knowing he has Trippier and Howe to learn from. Ability wise on the ball, he has his ceiling but he is capable of being a safe third choice option there. 

It's quite possible with other areas on the pitch functioning with more quality that Kraft can actually have a little more breathing space and grow in to games rather than be up against it for 90mins. 

We've never seen him in a competitive and winning team. Makes a difference to steady players who don't have the individual quality to stand out or lift a team (like Trippier) but do thrive with consistency and quality around them.

Here's hoping anyway.

23 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I think you'll struggle to see many defences stay completely composed when two of them have been replaced mid-game.

Agree, I think Krafth will do ok when he's had time to prepare for a game both tactically and mentally.

Feel bad for Krafth, but really hoping Manquillo is fit for Saturday. Feel like we have the entire range of full back quality in the squad at the moment:

Elite, top tier, sex in fullback form: Trippier

Good Premier League level fullback: Targett

Decent Premier League/very good championship level fullback: Manquillo

Emil Krafth: Emil Krafth

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Feel bad for Krafth, but really hoping Manquillo is fit for Saturday. Feel like we have the entire range of full back quality in the squad at the moment:

Elite, top tier, sex in fullback form: Trippier

Good Premier League level fullback: Targett

Decent Premier League/very good championship level fullback: Manquillo

Emil Krafth: Emil Krafth

Why would you feel bad for him? It's not like he played well and deserves to keep his place.