Mikel Merino (now playing for Real Sociedad)

Disco

Just to chime in, the food variety is definitely better in the US, and especially somewhere like LA, there's so much good Mexican food - not just burrito places, loads of other things I've never seen in the UK. Almost every group in the world is more represented in the US, and therefore there is more good food. The exception is Indian/South Asian. I'm sure you must be able to get good Indian food, but there is far less of it, and I've not found a good Indian in Chicago. Obviously there are some British things I miss that are less common - pies, pasties, chips, english breakfasts. You can get some of those things in some places, such as Brit/Irish pubs, but I've never found a proper chip yet.

(by the way, I'm always getting told by Indian mates that Brit Indian is totally different from Indian Indian food, so they make some for me to prove this and never find it's very different tbh...Sure in India there are other ingredients that are hard to find here)

Our ‘Indian’ food is almost always Bangladeshi in origin so no surprise it’s nowt like authentic Indian

Guest Howaythetoon

Just to chime in, the food variety is definitely better in the US, and especially somewhere like LA, there's so much good Mexican food - not just burrito places, loads of other things I've never seen in the UK. Almost every group in the world is more represented in the US, and therefore there is more good food. The exception is Indian/South Asian. I'm sure you must be able to get good Indian food, but there is far less of it, and I've not found a good Indian in Chicago. Obviously there are some British things I miss that are less common - pies, pasties, chips, english breakfasts. You can get some of those things in some places, such as Brit/Irish pubs, but I've never found a proper chip yet.

(by the way, I'm always getting told by Indian mates that Brit Indian is totally different from Indian Indian food, so they make some for me to prove this and never find it's very different tbh...Sure in India there are other ingredients that are hard to find here)

I think one needs to possibly separate London from the rest of the UK when it comes to analysing food availability/quality.  I genuinely can't think of many cuisines in the world that don't have at least a few exceptional restaurants in London.

London is obviously spoilt for choice, but go to anywhere in the UK and you can find top notch scran of any cuisine.

I can understand the popularity of Nando’s and other big chain restaurants, but if we eat out we try and stick to little known places or new places. Can’t stand Nando’s actually, chicken is shit and it’s expensive.

No sun in the Winter is a myth. If anything we get more blue sky sunny days in the Winter than the Summer. No heat is more accurate.

:milner:

It bugs me. Another thing that bugs me, Matt LeBlanc said the thing he doesn't like about the UK is the food. What's he eating or not getting here that he can get in the USA?

Is this a serious post? Variety and choice of food in America is far greater than here, due to the much greater cultural diversity and the easier access to ingredients.

Steak, Burgers, Tacos, Waffles, Pancakes, Lobster, Shrimp pretty much everywhere in the USA. Not much else.

I Love going to America but to say there's a much bigger variety of food is a bit of a stretch.

That's just pretty much completely wrong.

Just because you chose to eat at steakhouses and pancake places doesn't make that the only food options in a country with 52 states and 300 million people from pretty much every corner of the planet.

I'm really struggling to see why this point has become so debated. It's not even a remotely controversial statement.

Just because you chose to eat at steakhouses and pancake places doesn't make that the only food options in a country with 50 states and 300 million people from pretty much every corner of the planet.

I'm really struggling to see why this point has become so debated. It's not even a remotely controversial statement.

:thup: you’ve been doing god’s work in this thread, P.

Just because you chose to eat at steakhouses and pancake places doesn't make that the only food options in a country with 52 states and 300 million people from pretty much every corner of the planet.

It can easily be debated though - for example, my wife's cousin is from Singapore and lived in NYC for the last 10 years.  She rates the Asian food in London as being far superior to the Asian food you get in NYC.  Obviously that's only one person's opinion (although that obviously applies to your opinion and my opinion etc), but it's a bit odd to assert that the food options in the US are automatically better because of the number of people and the greater diversity.  Using those parameters, you'd probably decide the US has the best food in the world - which, for the avoidance of doubt, it clearly doesn't.

It can easily be debated though - for example, my wife's cousin is from Singapore and lived in NYC for the last 10 years.  She rates the Asian food in London as being far superior to the Asian food you get in NYC.  Obviously that's only one person's opinion (although that obviously applies to your opinion and my opinion etc), but it's a bit odd to assert that the food options in the US are automatically better because of the number of people and the greater diversity.  Using those parameters, you'd probably decide the US has the best food in the world - which, for the avoidance of doubt, it clearly doesn't.

It probably does have the most diverse food in the world. You get better certain kinds of food in other places e.g. better Indian food in India or whatever, but probably overall, I'd say US does have best food in the world in my experience, because of the diversity.

My comment has taken this thread way off topic. I wanted him to elaborate. Maybe he eats at Michelin restaurants usually. Maybe he eats burgers all the time. Maybe he loves Taco Bell which we don't seem to have. Most of the other chain restaurants are here. We don't know what he's not liking. I've never had a good Indian meal in the US.

*thomas klaxon*

Their menu is so anemic they might as well not have them. I think we have more options for taco choices alone than their entire oeuvre http://www.tacobelluk.co.uk/menu vs https://www.tacobell.com/food/tacos

p.s. usa number one :thup:, england dusted and done :thdn:

• 2 months later...

No way I would sell him tbh. He'd surely not be on that much money to free up that much of the wage budget....

A potential star and someone surely everyone would happily have in our squad?

Very weird - all I can think of is that he's homesick.

Selling him would be completely retarded, he's quality

Jury's very much out, like. He's definitely shown flashes of this and that and I was really chuffed when we signed him permanently. His biggest strength (shown so far) is his first touch and short forward passes, but when those attributes haven't been on point he's looked pretty ordinary. I doubt we've seen the best of him though and I hope he stays.