Kenedy

Scottish Mag

Interesting loan.  He is thought to have a go this season to be the backup like Ake but the trouble he caused during the China trip basically forced Chelsea to move him away, even temporarily, ASAP.  It is not their original plan to send him out.

We may get a great left wingback for cheap, but our commercial income in China may be affected.  I am actually surprised that we can sign him given our sponsor is CHina based.

I'm wondering if Rafa is favouring some loanees from a longer term point of view. It may be that the players who are available now to us on a long-term basis, won't improve us by very much. So we may stay up, but it might then be difficult to push on because we'll be lumbered with these somewhat limited players who are difficult to shift. Loaned players don't clog up the wage bill long term.

The only rider of course is that the loanees have to be able and ready to play in the first team. Otherwise it's a waste of time. You can never quite tell with younger players like Kenedy.

First Brazilian we've had?

Wut  :lol:

Throw me a bone here, my history doesn't go back far. :lol:

Having said that, there was probably some c*** two years ago I've forgotten.

Mirandinha ring a bell  :lol:

:yao:

First Brazilian in all of English football, wiki tells me. How about that.

You don't say.

"It is quite difficult not to make comparisons between Kenedy and Hulk whenever you watch him play, especially considering how both are natural right wingers with a liking to cut inside and shoot from the box or from afar with their powerful left foot."    :harry:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/6/29/8859697/chelsea-fc-transfer-target-scouting-robert-kenedy-fluminense

Bizarro signing.

Smacks of taking what we can get, rather than what we most need. 2015/16 we had an excess of attacking midfielders to try and fit in. 2017/18 we have an excess (relatively speaking) of wingers; mainly right wingers: Ritchie (left footed right winger), Atsu (same), Kenedy (same), Murphy (right wing), Aarons (left). Presume Kenedy is for the left side (though not his preference, apparently) and we have flexibility with the others playing on the left if needed, but not ideal.

If he turns out to be any good Flip will have been a fan of him since his U17 days.

:lol: Even if he turns out bad man, he's gonna have been the best ever. On a serious note though, he was extremely highly rated as a young player in Brazil, but made the wrong choice of going to Chelsea. Is there an option to buy?

Bizarro signing.

Smacks of taking what we can get, rather than what we most need. 2015/16 we had an excess of attacking midfielders to try and fit in. 2017/18 we have an excess (relatively speaking) of wingers; mainly right wingers: Ritchie (left footed right winger), Atsu (same), Kenedy (same), Murphy (right wing), Aarons (left). Presume Kenedy is for the left side (though not his preference, apparently) and we have flexibility with the others playing on the left if needed, but not ideal.

Rafa loves a left footer. Atsu will probably play left wing this year I suspect and looks the best fit with Ritchie right to start, unless as stated Ritchie  will play in attacking midfield.

Murphy and Aarons will offer more directness looking at them and Kenedy maybe coming in as insurance against Aarons being knacked again or just to have options.