Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

I don't feel too bad after that. We looked solid against one of the best teams in the league until Shelvey pulled his bald cunt act. We knew we'd be limited going forward since we've not invested properly in attacking players. Both Spurs goals came from them having the extra man and having the extra bit of space that they wouldn't have otherwise had. Atsu looked really good. Merino looked good when he came on. Just as usual we shot ourselves in the foot and Ashley is planning to shoot us in the head.

Disastrous result on the face of it but I thought we did alright, at least up until Shelvey's inexcusable moment of madness. Atsu was one of the best players on the pitch from either side; Hayden, Clark and Manquillo also fared well. Very accomplished cameo from Merino as well, albeit against a Spurs midfield who were very much going through the motions in the latter stages of the game.

The losses to 3 key players are the primary concern. Kane's challenge on Lejeune was nasty and more should be done to outlaw tackles of that nature where the standing leg is scissored. Shelvey is a fucking idiot and his dismissal completely changed the game.

I fucking hate Dele Alli mind, can't abide by the sort who make a thing of trying to get other players sent off. The way he fronted up to Lascelles after that inch-perfect tackle in the first half was absolutely pathetic. Odious, snide little shite who will hopefully get what he deserves

The most depressing thng is that today won't even press them into any transfer activity before next weekend.

Aye i noted a few people say, this might speed up some buys. Yeah that's not happening (i say hoping to be very very wrong)

Hard to judge us off that game, and we haven't learnt much we didn't already know.

We looked OK with 11 and there wasn't much between the teams in spite of their possession. I can't remember any clear cut chances from either side until after the red card. As for the incident, Shelvey's just a tit. We can't defend that. It completely overshadowed Alli's antics which will go ignored now. Alli got tackled and then went to hold his own face as if he'd been hit, then tried to delay the FK. Shelvey's fallen for it and got himself sent off. That's no defence of Shelvey though, he's had enough chances. We needed another creative mid before the game, and this just underlines it. We were well in the game at that point.

Positives are Atsu and Merino, and the general performance with XI was decent enough. We'll play weaker teams than Spurs, and won't always have 2 injuries and a red. Our season depends on Ashley and the rest of the transfer window, which we already knew.

Guest firetotheworks

Shelvey's is the darkest of reds from the ref's position, nothing short of a bung would have changed that.

Kane's was definitely a red card imo,but a lot less shocking when given as a yellow.

Guest neesy111

While we did OK I don't get some of the very positive comments about how we troubled spurs etc.  It's the 1st home game of the season, you should be more of a threat than what we were 1st half imo.  Rest of the game is impossible to read due to Shelvey's sending off. Are those saying we'll be safe comfortably think Brighton will be as well? As they troubled Man City far more than Brighton (albeit City created far more than Spurs did today).  Defensively we'll be fine, but boro were last season and they still got relegated easily due to complete lack of quality in the final 3rd.  This is why the number 10 and striker position's are what cost the most money as they'll determine imo how we'll do this season.

No doubt I'll be lambasted for this and called for being unrealistic etc.

While we did OK I don't get some of the very positive comments about how we troubled spurs etc.  It's the 1st home game of the season, you should be more of a threat than what we were 1st half imo.  Are those saying we'll be safe thinking Brighton will be as well as they troubled Man City far more than Brighton (albeit City created far more than Spurs did today).  Defensively we'll be fine, but boro were last season and they still got relegated easily due to complete lack of quality in the final 3rd.  This is why the number 10 and striker position's are what cost the most money as they'll for me determine how we'll do this season.

No doubt I'll be lambasted for this and called for being unrealistic.

Agreed.

While we did OK I don't get some of the very positive comments about how we troubled spurs etc.  It's the 1st home game of the season, you should be more of a threat than what we were 1st half imo.  Rest of the game is impossible to read due to Shelvey's sending off. Are those saying we'll be safe comfortably think Brighton will be as well? As they troubled Man City far more than Brighton (albeit City created far more than Spurs did today).  Defensively we'll be fine, but boro were last season and they still got relegated easily due to complete lack of quality in the final 3rd.  This is why the number 10 and striker position's are what cost the most money as they'll determine imo how we'll do this season.

They really didn't like. Did nothing until well into the second half and even that was from a set piece. We looked more accomplished and created more in open play against a side that is more settled and more capable defensively than City.

seems a tad harsh considering the disruptions had with injuries in the first half as well like, when it was 11/11 we weren't being dicked over by spurs who are about the best team in the league

i think that's where the shreds of positivity are from

Brighton offered nowt going forwards and looked more under the cosh with 11 men than we did with 10.

We were an absolute non-event going forwards today, but pretending Brighton were anything different is false and just designed to fit a negative agenda.

I'm not a doctor, but based on what I think the human body is capable of, sandwiching and twisting someone's leg under them could be more likely to cause serious injury as hitting them in a straight line with or without exposed studs. It's definitely "dangerous play".

My son got a spiral fracture of the tibia skiing and that was all from twisting, in spite of having kid's ligaments to help him, not from impact.

Guest neesy111

seems a tad harsh considering the disruptions had with injuries in the first half as well like, when it was 11/11 we weren't being dicked over by spurs who are about the best team in the league

Mojo, my issue is people saying we were excellent as some have said.  I'm very content with our 1st half performance but a few are getting carried away with it imo and using it to bash others with for being too negative.

If you looked at Spurs last 2 seasons, it took them a while to get going.  Kane still hasn't scored in August which is mental considering his goal record, if we had more quality in the final 3rd then I think today might had been a good opportunity of beating them.  Shame our owner disagrees.

They really didn't like. Did nothing until well into the second half and even that was from a set piece. We looked more accomplished and created more in open play against a side that is more settled and more capable defensively than City.

They had 6 attempts. How many did we have?

Mojo, my issue is people saying we were excellent as some have said.  I'm very content with our 1st half performance but a few are getting carried away with it imo and using it to bash others with for being too negative.

ah nah i agree, we were compact and contained...our breaks were controlled whenever we had them but i'd not go as far as excellent either

1st half thought we did ok.

2nd half - post Shelvey sent off - we were lacking in midfield until Merino came on and he changed the game - lad looks class.  Looked like we went 3 at the back and we looked liked a different team.

They had 6 attempts. How many did we have?

Most were potshots, no?

Edit: Gayle's attempt seemed the only decent opportunity of the 1st, IIRC?

Edit: ignore me :lol:

Despite the injuries we were reasonably comfortable until half time and could have grown into the game in an attacking sense. Restricting such a good side must have given us confidence and I would imagine Benitez was quite happy at the break. Later on we could have changed it with Murphy or Mitrovic being put on but unfortunately thanks to Shelvey we'll never know. I'm not saying we were brilliant or anything but it feels very churlish IMO to make out we were shite all game and that it's an indication of how we're going to struggle this season.

If you looked at Spurs last 2 seasons, it took them a while to get going.  Kane still hasn't scored in August which is mental considering his goal record, if we had more quality in the final 3rd then I think today might had been a good opportunity of beating them.  Shame our owner disagrees.

Where was this?