Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

I think Merino and Hayden is a better partnership

Well, Shelvey wasn't making good decisions before he was sent off. Doubt he was told to lump the ball forward at every opportunity.

I think part of the plan was to release Gayle quickly from turnovers though, which necessitates the odd long ball. Agree that he wasn't good mind.

Optimistically, this could see Clarke in at that position with merino in quicker which gives IMO a far better constructive option that a dummett colback setup. Mbemba then has to play with Lascelles. Get injuries and we're fucked though. Welcome back Jack

Merino is a Rolls Royce of a player, my god he was quality. Even though he was only on for a short time, he looks to have the ability to play for most teams in this league. Top class. So comfortable showing for the ball centrally, even under pressure. Passing was smooth- really exciting player. Himself and Hayden could be an excellent partnership.

Wasn't pretty today, but without a doubt the sending off so early on in the half meant it was nearly impossible to hold on against someone as good as Spurs for so long. Personally, I'm not of the standing outside Shelvey's house with a torch and pitch fork mentality. I think what he did was understandable- Ali is a little rat- but the fact that he did it as the ref was literally yards away looking directly at him was utterly ridiculous and completely idiotic. It's a shame he has to be so dim because he is an outstanding player when he's in the right place, mentally. I wouldn't give up on him, but I'm sick with him at the moment.

Lastly, I think we look like the best organised team without the ball in the league (from what I have seen). We looked competent on the break towards the end of the first half and that 3v2 towards the end was a good opportunity missed. People reacting like we didn't have a shot on goal all match? I thought we looked good at times, mainly through the individual quality of Atsu. Hayden was impressive too. 

Early days yet, but it's been a near on disaster of a day with potentially 3 players out next week, a loss at home, and that fat fucking cunt that is tragically our owner coming out with all this nonsense. I haven't seen Rafa's interview but you get the feeling this is fast moving closer to another implosion for the club.

The time when Atsu done well to get in the area and put it on a plate only for Gayle to be standing thinking Atsu wouldn't get a cross in was a concern for me as a top quality striker would have been onto that. We competed well but looked woefully short on quality or initiative and will struggle big time this season. Shame as yet again any potential this club has is not fulfilled by woeful management at the top

Listening on the radio i thought we were doing ok and rafa had a game plan,  it wasnt pretty but it was effective.  He had a couple of options on the bench to change it late on.  The injuries and shelvey fucked it all up.

Ross Gregory‏

@rossgregory9

Worth pointing out for Shelvey fans, he completed six successful passes in the 48 minutes he was on the pitch. Merino made 12 in 15 mins...

Merino did look good but it's probably not a fair comparison, i am looking forward to seeing Merino next week from the start mind.

Merino is a Rolls Royce of a player, my god he was quality. Even though he was only on for a short time, he looks to have the ability to play for most teams in this league. Top class. So comfortable showing for the ball centrally, even under pressure. Passing was smooth- really exciting player. Himself and Hayden could be an excellent partnership.

Totally agree - look quality.  His movement off the ball was excellent, his passing was positive and intelligent.

Merino was excellent on the ball I felt. Passed forward. Moved into space. Looked a little slow and weak off it mind but Spurs have such a powerful midfield.

Atsu looked dangerous.

Manquillo went to sleep for both the goals which was worrying, took the wrong decision when passing in the final third a lot but looked good technically.

Gayle obviously isolated, didn't look fit.

Squad looking thin already.

Listening on the radio i thought we were doing ok and rafa had a game plan,  it wasnt pretty but it was effective.  He had a couple of options on the bench to change it late on.  The injuries and shelvey fucked it all up.

That's basically correct. Putting the injuries aside (which can happen any time) it had more positives than negatives. Just one absolutely massive egg-headed negative unfortunately.

ritchie needs to be pulled infield if he wants to stay in the team.

atsu getting better, and we could do with murphy's pace and directness on the other wing.

merino was class.

lejeune will develop a decent partnership with mbemba or clark.

poor distribution from elliot today.

really need a LB and striker asap, then a GK and number 10.

I take a lot of positives out of today. I tbink we might have got something if Shelvey had not done that. I k ow it is the rules but you can lunge in fairly dangerously and potentially cause serious injury and get booked. Put you foot on them doing know damage and it is a straight red. Those are the rules though. I guess it's similar in that you can batter someone almost to death and get less than you would for defrauding an insurance company out of a couple of grand.

Seen some spectacularly strong opinions on how bad this was, can't understand it myself.

The whole gameplan went out the window, injuries first then a brain dead moment. Before that I thought we looked the most likely to score on the break.

Pissed me off the commentators saying this is how hard the premier league is after our whole game plan was decimated due to injuries and a fucking idiotic moment.

Reading some comments you would think we had just been totally outplayed by a League 2 side.

Kane's tackle will soon be forgotten about but really think that if you are sending folks off for what Shelvey did (which you absolutely should) you need to be sending them off for scissor challenges through the back at high speed like that one, it was shocking and irrelevant that he got the ball. Cost us a good player for probably a prolonged period.

My thoughts...

We were well in the contest and defending really well up until the sending off. Despite two injuries to defenders, our makeshift back four were doing really well. I thought Kane's challenge was a really bad one, possibly red worthy - but I only saw it live and haven't seen it again.

Tottenham weren't causing us huge problems, they were restricted to long range shots which weren't doing anything and we were lively on the break. Atsu particularly caused them all sorts of problems, I thought he was really good today. I'd say despite Tottenham bossing possession with sideways passing, we probably had the better chances in the first half and could easily have been ahead.

Shelvey - absolutely ridiculous. I saw it and I was in the Gallowgate, he was never going to get away from that. Ridiculous. Deserves a ban and he ultimately cost us something from that game. We were at 6s and 7s after the red and it really gave Spurs the momentum. Inevitably they were going to score. I think I'd have bought Merino on immediately after the red in place of Perez but I understand why he didn't as we wouldn't have had any subs left.

I think highly of Merino from what I've seen of him so far in preseason and the short stint today. He covers a ridiculous amount of ground and is an excellent passer. I would not be surprised if he makes that place his own while Shelvey is out.

Overall I think there is a lot of positives to take from today and from what I saw we'll easily be safe this season. Spurs were one of the best teams in the league last year and we matched them up until a suicidal red from Shelvey.

Our system will work really well in this league, providing the team stay focussed and switched on and don't do anything like today.