Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

Seen some spectacularly strong opinions on how bad this was, can't understand it myself.

Some people loathe tactical football and dislike rafas approach to the game.

This will manifest itself greatly when we go on a bad run and the what if merchants come out.

Seen some spectacularly strong opinions on how bad this was, can't understand it myself.

This will manifest itself greatly when we go on a bad run and the what if merchants come out.

I'm one of those a fair bit, yet today i was quite encouraged. Funny old game like.

It looks to me that this will be a solid side that is difficult to beat. Teams of this nature generally survive, so I am optimistic going forward. It is imperative that Murphy and whoever else Ashley can scrap together funds for hit the ground running because they don't look particularly dangerous or cohesive going forward and I understand that this was the case last season as well.

I'm one of those a fair bit, yet today i was quite encouraged. Funny old game like.

Given our budget and individual quality i think we would struggle badly if we went all out attack.

I wouldn't have anyone else managing us personally.

Nothing positive about losing three players in one game, whatever the reason.

We did ok though despite this and should have had a pen, which could have changed things alot.

Shelvey - played right into alli's hands. It should have been the other way around. Idiot.

Given our budget and individual quality i think we would struggle badly if we went all out attack.

I wouldn't have anyone else managing us personally.

I wouldn't want anyone else either, i did dislike the way we set up against lesser team especially at home (last season bascially) but with better players, we will play better and that wouldn't really enter into it anymore. I mean any team with Colback in it isn't going to play like Holland in 1974 is it  :lol:

But today especailly after Merino came on, even with 10 men, there was more movement and less long ball that we saw first half, admittedly Spurs could play in 1st gear but for some reason i wasn't massively disappointed. We need more creativity that's obvious, and that's where the problem lies, we won't spend enough imo to address the glaring problems in the squad.

Especially playing a team that played nearly every domestic side they faced last season off the park. Thought we kept Kane and Debbie Alli really quiet until the sending off

Defensively we look fine imo, it's just the final 3rd that really worries me.

We look fine because of the defensive structure, wingers tucking in, the AMC dropping back in to midfield in the defensive phase and fullback who are diligent rather than spectacular take this away and we would be a mess.

We look fine because of the defensive structure, wingers tucking in, the AMC dropping back in to midfield in the defensive phase and fullback who are diligent rather than spectacular take this away and we would be a mess.

Why would you take that away?

Why would you take that away?

Because generally being more attacking also means being more open hence me highlighting the above.

Struggled for lots of meaningful posession against one of the best sides in the league, shock horror. Despite that (made much worse by the injuries and devastated by the red card) we were relatively well organised and never packed in. In past years that would have ended up 4-0 at least.

Couple of bright sparks going forward, glad Gayle got some playing time without injury and Atsu was a constant threat. Can't think of anyone that had a genuinely bad game, Shelvey aside. Glad we've got Merino to step straight in.

Need a couple of signings, as we already knew. That said, Rafa's hands were tied in terms of changing things.

Next.

Agreed. At the game today my overriding feeling was we're crying out for a more versatile striker who can make things stick up front. The amount of times the ball ends up back with Elliot and him launching it forward, it's unavoidable when you concede that much possession but there's nothing Gayle can do with it.

Though Merino looked tidy and I've no doubt about him filling in for Shelvey but he did seem to get turned alarmingly quickly.

I thought we looked good for the draw in the first half, but in the second they went straight through the middle of our team 4 times, that can't be allowed to happen. I didn't see clearly but i'm willing to bet Lascelles was at fault, he gets beaten too easily.

Recorded the match and just watched first half. Thought Manquillo, Atsu and Perez played well plus Hayden made a decent contribution. Our 'big hitters' Ritchie, Shelvey and Gayle seemed to struggle/looked well marshalled. Didn't realise we'd lost Dummet and Lejeune to injury. Really limited Rafa's options to mix it up (not to mention forthcoming sending off). Even though Spurs are a very good side, so clear we need more quality.

Was totally even at half time.

We'd arguably had the better of it, imo. Atsu had been in behind them a couple of times.

:thup: they had more ball, we had more "fret"

Apparently these were quotes from the Sky commentary? :lol: nee way

"Newcastle fans booing Sissoko for being a deserter despite saving them from relegation the year prior"

"A no nonsense challenge that's infuriated the locals" (on Harry Kane's scissors tackle from behind sends Lejuene off injured)