Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

I mean he essentially missed that chance, it's practically an OG. He just seems to have zero composure in front of goal. People can say the same about mitro but he scored from a very similar chance, and rounded the keeper.

Once. :lol:

He's missed countless sitters over the course of 2 years.

How anyone can come to the conclusion that Mitrovic is the better option is beyond me, like. It would be fine if he was just a poor finisher, or just poor at holding it up, or just a cheat, or just dirty, or just a bit mental, but he's all of those things.

Guest firetotheworks

Maybe the fact that Mitro was/is in good scoring form, from pre-season to suspension.

Joselu hasn’t shown anything since he signed that Mitro cant do equally as well or better, imo.

That said, I’d probably be starting Gayle anyway, but there is clearly an unknown issue there.

Good form (for us) is massively stretching it and you can't just ignore his daft red card like. Mitrovic might end up being a player and that's what people are banking on, but trying to justify it with his form for us is folly, like. He's done nothing with us for anyone to say he's shown more than Joselu with any single attribute.

Maybe the fact that Mitro was/is in good scoring form, from pre-season to suspension.

Joselu hasn’t shown anything since he signed that Mitro cant do equally as well or better, imo.

That said, I’d probably be starting Gayle anyway, but there is clearly an unknown issue there.

Good form (for us) is massively stretching it and you can't just ignore his daft red card like. Mitrovic might end up being a player and that's what people are banking on, but trying to justify it with his form for us is folly, like. He's done nothing with us for anyone to say he's shown more than Joselu with any single attribute.

He didn’t get a red card, like.

If you cant see he was playing well and scoring goals from pre-season till his suspension, then there is no point trying to have this discussion.

He’s been the best, out of all of our strikers, so far this season - which is why people want him to start.

Guest firetotheworks

I mean he essentially missed that chance, it's practically an OG. He just seems to have zero composure in front of goal. People can say the same about mitro but he scored from a very similar chance, and rounded the keeper.

How anyone can come to the conclusion that Mitrovic is the better option is beyond me, like. It would be fine if he was just a poor finisher, or just poor at holding it up, or just a cheat, or just dirty, or just a bit mental, but he's all of those things.

:lol:  Joselu has never hit double figures in a top flight season in his whole life, he's 27 he isn't magically going to get better. Do those things only count against Mitro? What's your point?  Mitro has more Pl goals than him now ffs, I'd rather take a chance on someone who might get better, rather than someone who has categorically proved through his whole career that he wont.

Me thinking Mitrovic is a waste of space isn't the same thing as me thinking Joselu is the answer. Neither are good enough, but at least Joselu is a relatively decent hold up player and doesn't go around getting himself sent off. Those things only count against him because he's the only one doing them. :lol: If one applied he'd get more slack, Shelvey's obviously a bit touched, but you can put up with it because he brings something to the team. Mitrovic doesn't bring anything anywhere near enough to justify it.

Guest firetotheworks

If you cant see he was playing well and scoring goals from pre-season till his suspension, then there is no point trying to have this discussion.

He’s been the best, out of all of our strikers, so far this season - which is why people want him to start.

His ban, sorry.

He's been the best out of all of our strikers so far this season? What? He's played 18 minutes for us in a match where he scored in a game that was already won and then he got himself banned for 3 games. It's nothing to go on.

Mitrovic is less mobile than Joselu. The chance yesterday wouldn't have been created if Mitro was on the pitch as I don't think he'd make that run.

Ultimately both Mitro and Joselu (in the few games we've seen) are too poor in front of goal to be selected on the basis of who is more likely to score. Mitrovic has had far too many moments where simple chances have "surprised" him and he's scuffed or lashed at a shot and completely wasted a sitter. With both Mitro and Joselu it seems like it's a mental issue - I'm sure in training they can lace the ball into the top corner 10 times out of 10, but on match day with so many things happening (trying to fight off a centreback, find some space, anticipate a ball) they just fall to pieces by the time it comes to connecting with the ball. The irony of this is that in complete contrast we have Gayle who is only good for sticking the ball in the back of the net, but with everything else about his game being p*ss poor (beyond effort).

So we need to go with whichever one brings more to the team. At the moment it looks like Joselu adds a decent enough combination of hold up play, movement, and work rate to give the team a bit more to work with. Mitrovic has occasionally had OK'ish "target man" performances, but I think he's a bit overrated in this category as all too often he gets bullied easily by centrebacks who are stronger than he is (and that seems to be the majority), plus his aerial play is weak at best. 

We just need to crawl through to January with whoever is the least s*** and hope that Ashley releases the purse strings.

He's stronger than Joselu and looks far more of a threat attacking the ball like, and I don't even think Mitrovic is THAT good at attacking the ball given his stature. He fairly often causes problems for defences which Joselu just isn't doing.

Joselu might get better but if he doesn't do anything next game I cannot see why we shouldn't be giving Mitrovic a chance, unless it's purely as punishment. At worst it's almost a straight swap.

He's stronger than Joselu and looks far more of a threat attacking the ball like, and I don't even think Mitrovic is THAT good at attacking the ball given his stature. He fairly often causes problems for defences which Joselu just isn't doing.

Joselu might get better but if he doesn't do anything next game I cannot see why we shouldn't be giving Mitrovic a chance, unless it's purely as punishment. At worst it's almost a straight swap.

Not sure i agree tbh, all i remember is the constant complaints that Mitrovic was almost never in goalscoring positions.

Not sure i agree tbh, all i remember is the constant complaints that Mitrovic was almost never in goalscoring positions.

Really? He gets into goalscoring positions fairly often he's just absolutely terrible at kicking a football.

At least in terms of comparing him to Joselu.

Mitrovic is less mobile than Joselu. The chance yesterday wouldn't have been created if Mitro was on the pitch as I don't think he'd make that run.

Ultimately both Mitro and Joselu (in the few games we've seen) are too poor in front of goal to be selected on the basis of who is more likely to score. Mitrovic has had far too many moments where simple chances have "surprised" him and he's scuffed or lashed at a shot and completely wasted a sitter. With both Mitro and Joselu it seems like it's a mental issue - I'm sure in training they can lace the ball into the top corner 10 times out of 10, but on match day with so many things happening (trying to fight off a centreback, find some space, anticipate a ball) they just fall to pieces by the time it comes to connecting with the ball. The irony of this is that in complete contrast we have Gayle who is only good for sticking the ball in the back of the net, but with everything else about his game being p*ss poor (beyond effort).

So we need to go with whichever one brings more to the team. At the moment it looks like Joselu adds a decent enough combination of hold up play, movement, and work rate to give the team a bit more to work with. Mitrovic has occasionally had OK'ish "target man" performances, but I think he's a bit overrated in this category as all too often he gets bullied easily by centrebacks who are stronger than he is (and that seems to be the majority), plus his aerial play is weak at best. 

We just need to crawl through to January with whoever is the least s*** and hope that Ashley releases the purse strings.

Scored from a very similar ball from Shelvey against West Brom in the match Cheick had a screamer dissallowed, didn't he? Might not have been as similar but the pass certainly reminded me of that. Think Shelvey then did it for Ayoze against Bournemouth too.

His ban, sorry.

He's been the best out of all of our strikers so far this season? What? He's played 18 minutes for us in a match where he scored in a game that was already won and then he got himself banned for 3 games. It's nothing to go on.

Did you watch us at all in pre-season? Or the cup game, that again, he scored in.

His performances have been better than Joselu’s, he also has as many goals as he does, having played about 350 minutes less.

Guest firetotheworks

His ban, sorry.

Did you watch us at all in pre-season? Or the cup game, that again, he scored in.

His performances have been better than Joselu’s, he also has as many goals as he does, having played about 350 minutes less.

I did, I dunno why I'd count pre-season though tbh, it's pretty meaningless. Siem de Jong looked good in pre-season and so did Murphy. The cup game has more meaning, but again it was against lower league opposition that we lost to, which isn't a lot to go on in terms of starting someone in the league.

It's back to my original point about how people see it really. I can't understand anyone thinking he's shown more than Joselu, but there you go. Not much point in debating views that are that polarised.

We agree on something.... he's shite!

Guest Howaythetoon

As average as he is, he is the best we have for this role because Mitrovic is a liability and his movement isn't as good as Joselu's. If he can grab 10 goals and help the team achieve its goals, that will do for me. He cost, what 5m? In that sense he's doing well, but his limitations are exactly why he cost that much. If we are to improve massively in that area we simply have to spend proper money. Likewise other areas.

Worrying to see him not even get a shot off in that situation. Still, he did score and it's early days, so we'll see what happens.

We managed nothing down the wings against Liverpool, which will negate one of Joselu's strengths. Going forward, if our CM is coming together and Shelvey is on it, Gayle playing off the shoulder might be a greater threat.

It's a major weakness for me, but having said that, he's been scoring this season so he's doing better in that department. I'm not a Mitro fan at all, I think he's not a natural finisher, but confidence is a big thing, and I think he's got more of it right now than Joselu.

I think the way he scored it was probably the only way a mid range striker was ever scoring that. Matip would close down most forwards in a race like that unless it was the elite or quick pacy type, the only real shooting chance would have came at 20-25 yards out on his weaker foot, which would have had to be good to beat a good keeper. He played it perfectly. :lol:

He asked the question of them and got his reward with a deserved goal for the work he has put in for the team. Not sure why so many complaints regarding the lad. I am one who does prefer Mitrovic mostly for non-footballing reasons and more to do with his relationship with the supporters, but Joselu is a decent player to have and a good buy for the price. Certainly more useful to us than Gayle will be this season, not that I have anything against Dwight mind, it's just true.

Ironically the goal at the weekend was a very Dwight Gayle goal. Except Gayle would have finished it emphatically.

Assuming he makes the same run, Gayle would have the pace over Matip to keep ground between them. As you say though, Gayle bundled in his fair share of 'ugly' goals last season too.

I rank them at about the same level quality wise, but what Joselu seems to lack (albeit questionably) in finishing he makes up for in teamwork from deeper positions; where as Gayle stands and waits, ultimately contributing little in a defensive setup.