Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

I appreciate his effort and willingness to graft but I'd rather dislike him and he finish gilt-edged chances. We need him to score and if he can't then, for all his work rate, he needs to be dropped and someone else put in who can. We're not a charity and don't owe him anything.

I appreciate his effort and willingness to graft but I'd rather dislike him and he finish gilt-edged chances. We need him to score and if he can't then, for all his work rate, he needs to be dropped and someone else put in who can. We're not a charity and don't owe him anything.

Perfectly put

Clealry lacking confidence in front of goal, or is this an ongoing story that has blighted his career. Todays miss wasn't as bad as the three chances against Stoke as he could have been disorientated - but following the 5m/20m argument that may be why. We certainly looked a lot more like I expect with Shelvey and Gayle on the pitch.

Guest firetotheworks

My issue is i don't think we have anyone that can, all 3 are not good enough.

:thup:

At least Joselu is in those positions/doesn't get himself banned for no reason. That's where we are, basically.

Mitro has scored 2 in 2, he's still our joint top scorer despite playing about 20 mins of PL football this season. I agree none of our options are really up to it but not sure why you persist with the worst of the three, especially when we only play one up front that front man needs to be taking the chances that fall to him, his last four chances haven't been half chances they've been clear cut ones, not to take any of them will cost your team games.

At least Joselu is in those positions/doesn't get himself banned for no reason. That's where we are, basically.

He's scored the same amount of PL goals that Mitro has, despite the ridiculous ban he got.

Guest firetotheworks

He's scored the same amount of PL goals that Mitro has, despite the ridiculous ban he got.

Not a ridiculous ban at all, contentious maybe. Either way he's an idiot and a liability. Joselu's hold up play so far has been better than Mitrovic's and Mitrovic has had two years of atrocious finishing. As things stand it would be Gayle if anyone that I'd bring in. I'd stick with Joselu for now.

Mitro has scored 2 in 2, he's still our joint top scorer despite playing about 20 mins of PL football this season. I agree none of our options are really up to it but not sure why you persist with the worst of the three, especially when we only play one up front that front man needs to be taking the chances that fall to him, his last four chances haven't been half chances they've been clear cut ones, not to take any of them will cost your team games.

He has 1 league goal, which came in already won game so I don't think that's an indication of anything.

We know what Mitrovic provides and what he does not, I don't particularly see that as a better alternative.

Him and Perez have yet to form an understanding and Perez was way too deep today, especially first half. There was a very obvious gap of 20-30ft nearly all first half.

I felt a bit for Joselu because he barely had the chance to get involved or to link up/use his strength which appears his ability to hold up and connect the dots in attack.

He was cold when the chance came because he'd done fuck all else all game up to that point.

He should've scored, no excuses. Gayle certainly would have.

Too early to really say anything about him but for all his overall play he doesn't look like a natural goalscorer and we badly need him to be one.

Was interesting because Sidwell on 5 Live the other night was saying he was the best finisher he'd played with in his time at Stoke.

Strikers are streaky, tbf. A couple of games seems very little to judge him on his goalscoring.

Too early to really say anything about him but for all his overall play he doesn't look like a natural goalscorer and we badly need him to be one.

Was interesting because Sidwell on 5 Live the other night was saying he was the best finisher he'd played with in his time at Stoke.

Strikers are streaky, tbf. A couple of games seems very little to judge him on his goalscoring.

Yeah but this is Newcastle online, You get 2 or 3 games max to prove yourself

Never going to play two up top. But we don't have a striker capable of playing the lone role successfully. So it's far from ideal.

Going into the season with a £5m striker, no number 10 and no left back was always going to mean we struggled. But it is frustrating as fuck to watch. 

I know people say that but there's a lot to be said for first impressions. Not very often wrong in my opinion. Could see Merino was a player the first time he got hold of the ball for us. This guy was giving me opposite vibes from the off.

I thought the opposite tbh. Thought he changed us against Huddersfield, played well and got his goal against West Ham, and was a great save away from another at Swansea in which he played his part. Think it's been 50% good and 50% poor so far.

He's never been particularly prolific in his career, mind. By no means writing him off. But he has missed 3-4 really decent chances the last 2 games. Didn't cost us last week. Did today.

I know people say that but there's a lot to be said for first impressions. Not very often wrong in my opinion. Could see Merino was a player the first time he got hold of the ball for us. This guy was giving me opposite vibes from the off.

I thought the opposite tbh. Thought he changed us against Huddersfield, played well and got his goal against West Ham, and was a great save away from another at Swansea in which he played his part. Think it's been 50% good and 50% poor so far.

1 goal, 1 header well saved, 4 decent chances missed (1 an open goal) - think 50% good is generous.

1 goal, 1 header well saved, 4 decent chances missed (1 an open goal) - think 50% good is generous.

Which one was the open goal?