Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

As well as everything else he’s just too nice, you’d love to play against him as a defender.

That's an underrated difference. By comparison, I bet defenders aren't clamouring to play against Mitrovic.

I know it’s a bit PFM but a lot of stuff I’ve read from players who were in the team with Shearer and Ferguson is about that as a factor. Who would fancy it against those two? Now swap that to Joselu and Perez.

Can’t be the only one who secretly enjoyed when Hughton would pair Ameobi and Carroll as well.

Gray on Saturday was a great example of how even just one physical striker with nouse can unsettle a defence and make space for others, he was occupying both CBs time and time again. You very rarely see any of that from Joselu.

Know what you mean. He's a biggish lad but doesn't use it particularly well. Doesn't win anywhere near enough freekicks for example, just to take the pressure off when it's booted towards him and we're under the cosh.

I know it’s a bit PFM but a lot of stuff I’ve read from players who were in the team with Shearer and Ferguson is about that as a factor. Who would fancy it against those two? Now swap that to Joselu and Perez.

Can’t be the only one who secretly enjoyed when Hughton would pair Ameobi and Carroll as well.

Gray on Saturday was a great example of how even just one physical striker with nouse can unsettle a defence and make space for others, he was occupying both CBs time and time again. You very rarely see any of that from Joselu.

Definitely true. Morata is a fabulous striker in a lot of ways, but Chelsea still miss that streak of nastiness that Costa brought to them.

He's beyond bad like. He doesn't seem to have even one single strength to his game. Slow, weak, poor finisher, no good in the air, just nothing at all.

We've had some planks playing up front for us in my time, Cunningham, Whitehurst, Hunt to name just a few but this lad is right up there with them.

I loved big Billy! (Though not many others did!)

He's beyond bad like. He doesn't seem to have even one single strength to his game. Slow, weak, poor finisher, no good in the air, just nothing at all.

We've had some planks playing up front for us in my time, Cunningham, Whitehurst, Hunt to name just a few but this lad is right up there with them.

I loved big Billy!

Me too. Built like a brick shithoose and just as fast.

I think this has a touch of the Selz to it. Benitez giving him a lot of chances to step up and showing faith in him. Might be one of those superb in training situations and he's trying to give him confidence.

Think Mitros earnt a start at this point, maybe he'll give it a go against someone like Chelsea. Less chance of a point anyway so less of a missed situation if Mitro decides to headbutt someone in the eye at the 20 minute mark.

Joselu has no great attributes. He's not intimidating, not physical, slow, can't shoot with power, fails to score just about every chance that comes his way, doesn't link play and gets knocked around by defenders. He's just one of those footballers like Obertan who seems to have made it professional somehow despite all logic to the contrary.

He was another one who was too laid back and not aggressive enough.

Chris Wood cost Burnley £15m. Think Gray was similar to Watford. Our striker cost £5m.

Wow.

In hindsight it's strange because Rafa loves a striker like Wood, suppose he wanted proven top level 'quality' and Joselu was the closest thing to his mind

Not sure if serious.

Not really we didn’t have 15million to spend on a striker.

We did have about £12m to spend on Murphy, £5m to spend on Joselu, and £4m to spend on Manquillo.

Which would have left us without cover at full back or on the wings.

Sure we could have spunked everything on a striker and left the squad depleted but thankfully Rafa has more sense than that.

We have Jesus Gamez as cover, who is probably just as good as Manquillo and never plays for us. I just don't understand some of these transfers, he hasn't been backed anywhere near adequately in the transfer market but he also has a reputation for making weird signings and I can see why. I remember at Liverpool he seemed to have a fetish for signing shit RB's then moving them on.

I agree with that. Signed far too many fullbacks already. 4 permanent and only 1 of them has been a significant important signing. I dont rate Anita but we might aswell have kept him. Or Lazaar. Dont sign Manquillo and maybe we can get Lucas Perez.

I agree with that. Signed far too many fullbacks already. 4 permanent and only 1 of them has been a significant important signing. I dont rate Anita but we might aswell have kept him. Or Lazaar. Dont sign Manquillo and maybe we can get Lucas Perez.

8 starts 4 goals 1 assist this season for Deportivo. Doing well.

Guest neesy111

We have Jesus Gamez as cover, who is probably just as good as Manquillo and never plays for us. I just don't understand some of these transfers, he hasn't been backed anywhere near adequately in the transfer market but he also has a reputation for making weird signings and I can see why. I remember at Liverpool he seemed to have a fetish for signing shit RB's then moving them on.

Aye, he's signed some pretty horrific left backs tbh.

We wanted to sign Perez but he didn't want to come from what I recall.