Other clubs' transfers

Greg

8 hours ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Weren't one of the cartel owner quoted anonymously as saying 'we can't allow a repeat of a Leicester' (winning the league/taking a CL spot)? Suppose what better example to set than seeing their team asset stripped, relegated, then deducted points and likely relegate them again for the crime of trying to improve. Will be thumbs up from the owners of Arse, Pool and Man U.

Leicester problem is more spending and outgoings going beyond what they bring in, and owners not fancying topping things up much more. Will do them well to climatise otherwise they could end up in a right mess. Signing likes of Skipp just dumb business. 

Leicester were the original Brighton in terms of buying unknowns who turned out to be class but as they got more successful they started to spend real money and when they hit a few duds they came unstuck. 

Brighton have started chucking around real dollar past two windows for the first time and it’s all looking rosey for them but the Leicester fate could always be a danger if they get a few big deals wrong. 

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

I'm absolutely gutted we didn't go for this lad while unsuccessfully trying to buy another player with less potential for 5 times the fee

Less potential? If so why did Juve send him packing to south coast giants Bournemouth?

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Less potential? If so why did Juve send him packing to south coast giants Bournemouth?

Because they collect players and then sell them off to raise funds. Same reason Guehi was sold to Palace by Chelsea.

Huijsen is a good footballer with potential but I watched a lot of him last season for Roma and he had some serious clangers in him. To be expected given his age. He's a project player and will probably be worth significantly more in a few years.

However it's clear we want somebody further on in their career in that position.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

Because they collect players and then sell them off to raise funds. Same reason Guehi was sold to Palace by Chelsea.

Point being, if he was some insane prospect either they would have kept him and he breaks through or he goes to a club with a high stature than Bournemouth. 

27 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Great deal for them. Was linked to Spurs and Arsenal last season.

The Premier League is getting so competitive man. Love it.

This guy going to Forest and Evanilson potentially joining Bournemouth is incredible.

18 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I can't speak for Juve's transfer dealings, but the fact that the Spanish and Dutch national teams were desperate to get him to commit to them, the fact that at age 19 he's played 14 games in Serie A top teams and Bournemouth fans calling him, their Kelly replacement, their man of the match on his PL debut tells me this kid has serious potential.

Edited by Unbelievable

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

I can't speak for Juve's transfer dealings, but the fact that the Spanish and Dutch national teams are desperate to get him to commit to them, the fact that at age 19 he's played 14 games in Serie A top teams and Bournemouth fans calling him, their Kelly replacement, their man of the match on his PL debut tells me this kid has serious potential.

I’m sure he does have potential but you can’t just say he has more potential than Guehi. I’m sure he’s talented and will turn out great but to draw any conclusions at this stage is a bit of reach. 

13 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Huijsen is a good footballer with potential but I watched a lot of him last season for Roma and he had some serious clangers in him. To be expected given his age. He's a project player and will probably be worth significantly more in a few years.

However it's clear we want somebody further on in their career in that position.

Yeah, it's clear people at the club are trying to get in position to push the best teams at the top of the table as quickly as possible.

They aren't going for the Brighton approach.

21 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I'm absolutely gutted we didn't go for this lad while unsuccessfully trying to buy another player with less potential for 5 times the fee

He’s played one game in the league against a (likely) lower mid-table side whose attacking line up isn’t particularly ferocious. If our team seriously thought he was a better option I’d imagine he may have been at least as interested as he was in joining Bournemouth.

18 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

With Livra and Hall set to play more football this season I think it would be very risky to bring in another young defender.

Probably a case of right player at the wrong time with the Dutch/Spanish lad.

Exactly. If Schar was 4 years younger it would probably be the profile we went for (like with Osula). But we obviously want somebody who can be immediate first choice.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I’m sure he does have potential but you can’t just say he has more potential than Guehi. I’m sure he’s talented and will turn out great but to draw any conclusions at this stage is a bit of reach. 

Perhaps I don't rate Guehi as highly as you (and others) on here do. I think he's an above average Premier League player, who has had his profile boosted by a decent tournament, but he has significant weaknesses (mainly in the air). Then I see Dean Huijsen at 1m97, two footed, a good technical player who will fill out and become a beast. If I had to guess who will go on to win most titles and go furthest in their career, it would be Huijsen for me all day. Perhaps I am overestimating his potential, but he reminds me a young Virgil van Dijk/Gerard Pique hybrid in that he combines height, athleticism and technical ability, hence why I can easily picture him playing in the first team for a team like Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool or Man City in a few years time.

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Exactly. If Schar was 4 years younger it would probably be the profile we went for (like with Osula). But we obviously want somebody who can be immediate first choice.

He'd have been to Schar what Osula is to Isak and Wilson, i.e. a "project" but one you'd feel comfortable giving game time already in certain games and game situations. I think that would have been exactly the right profile allowing the majority of our budget to go to RW.

Edited by Unbelievable

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Perhaps I don't rate Guehi as highly as you (and others) on here do. I think he's an above average Premier League player, who has had his profile boosted by a decent tournament, but he has significant weaknesses (mainly in the air). Then I see Dean Huijsen at 1m97, two footed, a good technical player who will fill out and become a beast. If I had to guess who will go on to win most titles and go furthest in their career, it would be Huijsen for me all day. Perhaps I am overestimating his potential, but he reminds me a young Virgil van Dijk/Gerard Pique hybrid in that he combines height, athleticism and technical ability, hence why I can easily picture him playing in the first team for a team like Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool or Man City in a few years time.

I’m not overly sold on Guehi either tbh, I think the price is absurd. I do think your talking him down and massively talking Huijsen up though 

10 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

He'd have been to Schar what Osula is to Isak and Wilson, i.e. a "project" but one you'd feel comfortable giving game time already in certain games and game situations. I think that would have been exactly the right profile allowing the majority of our budget to go to RW.

I think with Schar and Burn both being 33 by the end of the season (and Botman/Lascelles injured to start the season) we do need somebody a few years on to reinforce the back line both immediately and for the next couple of years. Personally from what I've seen of Huijsen he's not there yet and won't be for a couple of years - but admittedly he may thrive in the PL given his stature.

I do agree that Guehi is overpriced and have some doubts about his overall potential due to aerial ability - but I think looking at CBs at his age profile and career maturity is something we've simply had to do.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, Ben said:

I'm surprised none of the lower EPL teams have took a punt on Wilson, his goals could be the difference between going down or staying up.

He’s injured (again) so we are stuck with him. 

That being said, we have to become better sellers our squad is so bloated.