Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Oh right, I had missed the context of that post tbh. Yeah of course he's not Ronaldo, but he's definitely a worthwhile buy.

Mbabberz is probably the lad to fill those boots I'd say, with his physicality and directness, he's fit right in to Ron's place.

PL is going to be so uncompetitive. 

We had this discussion last season.

Best players outside the top 6.

Shaqiri - Liverpool

Mahrez - City

Zaha - wants to leave

Then it’s a 31 year old Vardy imo.  Beyond that there’s not much out there.

The Gulf between the top 6 and the rest is absolutely embarrassing we are all just cannon fodder for them and it's impossible to compete. Leicester winning the league waa one of them freak sporting occurrences that happens once in a generation. The top 6 get the most money so there's no way the rest can even dream of competing. It's the same Europe wide though Bayern so far ahead of rest,Juve,PSG,Barca,Real the same

What is the point in having a sporting competition when the likelihood is the same teams will always win everything

Once the bubble bursts and it will eventually the whole thing will come crashing down

Oh right, I had missed the context of that post tbh. Yeah of course he's not Ronaldo, but he's definitely a worthwhile buy.

Mbabberz is probably the lad to fill those boots I'd say, with his physicality and directness, he's fit right in to Ron's place.

I’m not even sure it makes sense at all.

They already have

Bale. Isco. Asensio. Lucas. Ceballos. Vinicius. And James Rodriguez potentially.

I don even think it’s a bubble.  Major American sports generate tons of revenue.  There’s still room for growth. 

A decade in growth of th sport and we’ve stagnated and gone backwards. 

Major American sports have 1 huge difference it's called  the salary cap so you'll get Franchise stars earning mega millions and players on same team earning 250k a year. When Beckham played for the galaxy there were lads in the same 11 as him earning 50 to 60k a year less in than Beckham earned in a week

So yes the sports have huge money but there's parity with the collegiste and draft system which gives all teams some sense of hope

There's no hope in football now and without hope us fans have nothing

Guest chopey

PL is going to be so uncompetitive. 

We had this discussion last season.

Best players outside the top 6.

Shaqiri - Liverpool

Mahrez - City

Zaha - wants to leave

Then it’s a 31 year old Vardy imo.  Beyond that there’s not much out there.

You forgot Shelvey you dozy donut

He's talented, sure. But he only scored 5 goals in 38 games and didn't look that great. That's insane money. I should probably try to put myself on the footballing market. I mean, seems like clubs will pay a lot of money for a Brazilian independently of whether they're good footballers or not.

He's talented, sure. But he only scored 5 goals in 38 games and didn't look that great. That's insane money.

Was poor from Nov/Dec onwards

:thup: Maybe Silva saw something in him, as coincidentally it all went downhill for both after october or so.

These clubs have lost it man ... I mean Everton currently still have the likes of Bolasie, Walcott, Calvert-Lewin, Lookman, Vlasic, Mirallas, Sandro, Niasse etc on the books.

And they go out and splurge £40+ million or Richarlison. That's incredible.

Man, if we would actually spend even A LITTLE money there is room to take advantage of how impatient and rash a lot of clubs are becoming with all this money.

At Everton as an example there is room there to grab one of Vlasic, Lookman or Calvert-Lewin you would imagine.

A club happy to shop in the £15 to £20 million range could get some really good talent that has been over looked way to quickly.

I don even think it’s a bubble.  Major American sports generate tons of revenue.  There’s still room for growth. 

A decade in growth of th sport and we’ve stagnated and gone backwards. 

Major American sports have 1 huge difference it's called  the salary cap so you'll get Franchise stars earning mega millions and players on same team earning 250k a year. When Beckham played for the galaxy there were lads in the same 11 as him earning 50 to 60k a year less in than Beckham earned in a week

So yes the sports have huge money but there's parity with the collegiste and draft system which gives all teams some sense of hope

There's no hope in football now and without hope us fans have nothing

Way to miss the point. 

I said nothing about competitiveness.  Simply the game will continue to get richer. And the gap will continue to grow. 

The financial disparity between England and the rest of football seems to grow larger and larger every single season. This league is its own wildly inflated and wasteful world.

I would be surprised if there were ten clubs throughout the rest of Europe that had the spending power to match the likes of Fulham.

Dumb money on Richarlison. Morons.

Seems insane. Still, that would leave us, Burnley and Crystal Palace as the only teams without a single new player coming in. Our nearest rivals have also spent a mind-buggering amount of money. The natives are getting restless. We have a significant amount of (*cliche alert*) deadwood to clear out, many of whom have been out on loan, and we are going to have to find some homegrown players to beef up that side of things. Hence the interest in Grealish and - I think - Zaha.

I think Levy is going to have to change his modus operandi. The sort of players we used to pick up for 10-15M are now being bought for two or three times that amount by everybody in the Premier League. Key members of our team include Lloris (12M), Vertonghen (10M), Dembele (15M), Eriksen (11M), Alli (5M), Dier (4M), Alderweireld (11.5M), Trippier (3.5M), Wanyama(11M). Those days are long gone. That sort of money now pays for players you take a punt on: kids like Foyth (8M) and N'Koudou (11M), or cover like Llorente (12M) and Janssen (17M).

We as Spurs fans still have to tailor our expectations somewhat. Much of our increased income is going to new contracts for...well pretty much everyone. We are still not paying nearly as much in wages as five other sides in the Premier League, so we are trying to redress that balance somewhat, which means less money for new players. We have made a virtue of our togetherness and team spirit, so we can't really complain when that squad is kept intact and merely tweaked occasionally. We finished ahead of three clubs that paid approximately 45M more (Liverpool), 80M more (Arsenal) and 100M more (Chelsea) in wages, which means that they are looking for players to catch up to us with far more money available to  throw at them. It is harder and harder every year to improve.

So what do you do? At least the fucking stupid questionable purchase of Sissoko was an attempt to address a gap in the squad. 40 or 50M for Richarlison just seems insane all round, but these are the sums of money that clubs now have to front up to try to compete with the top tier. I expect to see Grealish come in, then possibly one more big splash, with Alderweireld & Dembele (sadly) and N'Koudou & Janssen (less sadly) heading off. Llorente and Sissoko would be ideal departures because they would force us to make it three or four big purchases, rather than one or two.

tl;dr Everton are crazy, football is fucked, Sissoko is shit, I hope we (Spurs) buy one shit-hot player for a ton of money.

Clubs simply spending that amount of cash means nothing if you don’t have a good manager.

Look at Everton.. i don’t see wise investment in any deals they’ve done with the Chinese money.

There are only a small handful of true world class managers in the PL, Spurs have been very good at times but Pochettino is not one of them.. if Chelsea and Arsenal can get their shit together they’ll be back outside the top 4. Levi is fairly smart and probably realises this, so why risk spending crazy money on players.. they’ll be guaranteed finishing 5th, so budget for a Europa place.. anything more is a bonus.

Us on the other hand have a devious snake of an owner who somehow got himself a world class manager. Even with minimal spend an players, we have a coach who can polish turds into a fairly competent bunch.

There were a few anomalies last season. A number of teams were very poor. History may not repeat itself but I’m confident Rafa will keep us up.

If he does, again.. it’s a complete piss take of everything the PL is all about these days.

It does rather depend upon how you define a world-class manager. You can't ignore the fact that managers of Chelsea, Man U, and Man C, and to a lesser extent Arsenal and Liverpool, can essentially buy whoever they want. I'm going to hazard a guess that you're prioritizing their coaching ability, where there are still questions over Poch in-game. You have to consider the discrepancy in resources. With that in mind, I would argue that Poch is a world-class manager. He has managed a team with significantly less income than five of their rivals to 5th place, 3rd, 2nd and 3rd, in one of the toughest leagues to do so - a "world-class" league. 5th in each season would have been above par. We do need to budget carefully until the stadium stuff shakes out - the others barely need to budget at all.

I do think a number of teams were poor last year, but you know, Huddersfield are still there, among others. I can see a lot of teams struggling again, which might help. We're still in that weird pre-season fog where teams seem to be "really going for it" like last year *cough* Everton *cough* Southampton *cough* West Ham *cough*. I think everyone will end up in about the same place, but fuck me, you're going to be struggling for goals if you don't get somebody in.