Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 minute ago, Joe1984 said:

Are Villa playing Football Manager? 😄

We absolutely can and should be putting buy back clauses into young players we rate, if we are forced to sell them for FFP reasons.

Although ideally we won't be in that position again...

But why would Brighton agree to a buy back clause?  What do they have to gain from it? They nearly always get amazing value for their players

No one was going to give us £35mil and be happy with a buy back clause unless it was a huge number £80/90mil

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

But why would Brighton agree to a buy back clause?  What do they have to gain from it? They nearly always get amazing value for their players

No one was going to give us £35mil and be happy with a buy back clause unless it was a huge number £80/90mil

Well the idea is to sell to a club stupid enough to agree to such a clause.

The problem would be finding one like you said.

The reason we are managing to live within the fiscal controls is because we've employed people behind the scenes who absolutely know exactly what they are doing.

Monchi is one of the best in Europe at this. Not infallible, nobody is, but they have put a triangle of Emery, Monchi and Vidagany to work together as the football brains of the club - they're very tight knit, both with each other and also with Sawiris, the most involved of our two owners.

Under Lerner or - shudder - Tony Xia, we'd have walked straight off a cliff with PSR rules, they were clueless, but this lot absolutely know what they are doing.

re buying back young players, we've only actually done that with Philogene. With Cameron Archer, that article in the Telegraph is wrong, we sold him but with a clause they pay 9m up front, but if they get relegated they sent him back gratis and didn't have to pay the rest. We then negotiated his salary with his agent should he come back to us, which is what has happened - all set up to cover every eventuality. So we've trousered 9m for a one season loan. But it wasn't us triggering the move, it was all in his contract and automatic if they went down.

People go on about our spending but usually overlook things like us raising lots of money on homegrown players. 100m Grealish, 20m Chukwemeka, 19m Kellyman, 14m Aaron Ramsey, 9m Iroegbunam in the last few years. Grealish was a big hole to fill, yes, but Iroegbunam and Kellyman was almost 30m for two players who had played a couple of hours first team football between them.

We've also done a deal to move Luiz on (prob the least impactful of all the valuable players if we had to sell one of them) for a decent chunk of money PLUS two players in positions where we could do with options.

We've just sold Diaby (inconsistent all season) and probably Duran too. Those three players will fetch close to 110 million (plus Iling Jr and Barrenechea coming to us) in total. Again, Duran a player who is clearly a nutter, but a 25m profit in 12 months.

Annoys me reading amateur accountants on twitter going on about us risklng breaking the rules when all they've done is point at Onana and say "how come they can afford him?" - because we also sell a lot of players too.

We've understood that no matter how much money you have, there are rules to live within, and you have to horse trade to get the best you can for the squad within the existing rules.

Edited by brummie

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Having the release clause expire in June I think is a clear strategy by the club to ensure that if he is sold - he helps the current seasons FFP. He continued his fantastic form. I think that was a sensible route to before ffp issues, get spending money and act like we didn’t want to sell him. That all makes sense - no?

You see a took a fact - which led to an idea based on that fact. Clearly examples by using the words ‘the fact.. leads me to think’. It’s an idea that could be wrong but one based on what we do know. Not presented as fact. But a logical thought.  

Where there’s rumour - I’ve said so. Again could be wrong. 

I can’t believe we would pin our FFP strategy in August of the same FFP financial year on a 19 year old from Odensse quadrupling his value that season so we could sell him by July. 

I shouldn’t have to say this…….. that’s not good planning. 

Those responsible for that plan aren’t here anymore anyway. So we move.  

If we are to base our discussion on assumptions or opinions, I would like to suggest that once the club came to the understanding that they could potentially secure a reasonable transfer fee for a 19-year-old player, they may have concluded that it would be more cost-effective to offer a new contract to the experienced player, Joe, rather than selling him for PSR reasons and subsequently acquiring Ederson. In my opinion, it was crucial for the club to retain all of its highly valued players. Sometimes, it is necessary to exercise patience in order to achieve the most favorable outcome, and I believe that, under the circumstances, we were able to secure the best possible deal.

That’s a view. 

At the time it was being reported that Ashworth wanted to keep the sale option open. Joelinton had 15 months left - Ashworth was definitely considering the sale.  

As soon as he was on gardening leave -  Eddie Staveley and co. moved to secure Joelinton.  That’s what was reported at the time. 

I think Ashworth wanted multiple cards in his deck for FFP. Staveley, Eddie and co. were less concerned. 

And that’s the best case scenario imo. Because we can blame the Ashworth BS and the other leadership people have left and it wasn’t their jobs or skill set to make us FFP compliant. 

For the FFP, I do think we banked on bringing in around an extra £10m+ from going further in Europe, and going out altogether was a disaster.

Then unable to move on anyone in January because we were fisted with injuries so rolled the dice more on qualifying for Europe, which then backfired.

27 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Mbemba transfer listed by Marseille. BHH.

Got me thinking we have signed some cracking players but at the wrong time. Imagine cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba, Merino, Winijaldum, Toney, Thauvin to name a few all in the current squad 

Edited by gdm

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Got me thinking we have signed some cracking players but at the wrong time. Imagine cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba, Merino, Winijaldum, Toney, Thauvin to name a few all in the current squad 

Ben Arfa would be too lazy for Howe.

25 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Ben Arfa would be too lazy for Howe.

He’s too lazy for most managers but he’d be a joy to watch in this side 

43 minutes ago, gdm said:

Imagine a Howe improved Moussa Sissoko next to Joelinton with Bruno in between. 

5 hours ago, brummie said:

The reason we are managing to live within the fiscal controls is because we've employed people behind the scenes who absolutely know exactly what they are doing.

Monchi is one of the best in Europe at this. Not infallible, nobody is, but they have put a triangle of Emery, Monchi and Vidagany to work together as the football brains of the club - they're very tight knit, both with each other and also with Sawiris, the most involved of our two owners.

Under Lerner or - shudder - Tony Xia, we'd have walked straight off a cliff with PSR rules, they were clueless, but this lot absolutely know what they are doing.

re buying back young players, we've only actually done that with Philogene. With Cameron Archer, that article in the Telegraph is wrong, we sold him but with a clause they pay 9m up front, but if they get relegated they sent him back gratis and didn't have to pay the rest. We then negotiated his salary with his agent should he come back to us, which is what has happened - all set up to cover every eventuality. So we've trousered 9m for a one season loan. But it wasn't us triggering the move, it was all in his contract and automatic if they went down.

People go on about our spending but usually overlook things like us raising lots of money on homegrown players. 100m Grealish, 20m Chukwemeka, 19m Kellyman, 14m Aaron Ramsey, 9m Iroegbunam in the last few years. Grealish was a big hole to fill, yes, but Iroegbunam and Kellyman was almost 30m for two players who had played a couple of hours first team football between them.

We've also done a deal to move Luiz on (prob the least impactful of all the valuable players if we had to sell one of them) for a decent chunk of money PLUS two players in positions where we could do with options.

We've just sold Diaby (inconsistent all season) and probably Duran too. Those three players will fetch close to 110 million (plus Iling Jr and Barrenechea coming to us) in total. Again, Duran a player who is clearly a nutter, but a 25m profit in 12 months.

Annoys me reading amateur accountants on twitter going on about us risklng breaking the rules when all they've done is point at Onana and say "how come they can afford him?" - because we also sell a lot of players too.

We've understood that no matter how much money you have, there are rules to live within, and you have to horse trade to get the best you can for the squad within the existing rules.

Wasn’t the Luiz deal done before July 1st because you were at risk of breaking FFP rules? If those two Juventus players end up being useful for Emery then it’s probably a really good deal but how much do you actually expect them to feature this season?

Also as others have mentioned the Diaby sale was probably pretty lucky in the sense that nobody other than the Saudi’s would have paid anywhere near that fee, not some genius business from Monchi.

And all these great sales are well and good but what do you think about the re-investment thus far? Have Villa actually improved their first team much at all?

2 hours ago, Fak said:

Imagine a Howe improved Moussa Sissoko next to Joelinton with Bruno in between. 

I know Sissoko didn't help himself sometimes but it's a travesty that we barely played him in his best position and instead put him out wide. He had all the tools to be on par with Joelinton in one of the wide CM roles.