Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Wilson leaving?

Rafa wanted to sign him but then he realised that Joselu was available, of course. The rest is history.

Not as if he’s operating under any financial constraints or anything.

Wow. Solanke hasn't looked that convincing when he's played. He's been okay, but hasn't really scored goals.

Liverpool and Bournemouth seem to have some kind of thing going.

Bournemouth have done this with Jordan Ibe already and it didn't really work out at all, and he seemed to show a lot more than Solanke did as a player in general, albeit they do play in different positions.

Strange stuff. Pretty astonishing that £19 million gets you that nowadays. I guess it's because he's young and English and has looked good for England under 21s, and so maybe they can bring him along, but man it's a risk.

I guess they want young players who are brought up in a certain style of play, who have potential.

Wow. Solanke hasn't looked that convincing when he's played. He's been okay, but hasn't really scored goals.

Liverpool and Bournemouth seem to have some kind of thing going.

Bournemouth have done this with Jordan Ibe already and it didn't really work out at all, and he seemed to show a lot more than Solanke did as a player in general, albeit they do play in different positions.

Strange stuff. Pretty astonishing that £19 million gets you that nowadays. I guess it's because he's young and English and has looked good for England under 21s, and so maybe they can bring him along, but man it's a risk.

I guess they want young players who are brought up in a certain style of play, who have potential.

Yeah, it's fair enough. I admire the approach. Would like to see it work out for them.

I think more clubs would do the same if the prices were more reasonable. Liverpool asking that amount for him is astonishing.

It's why so many of the good young English players that have come up at the better clubs, and have not quite got the chance to play then get stuck.

With Jadon Sancho's success though maybe more English clubs will start looking to take a chance on these types of players. Dortmund got him for around £8 million, and you'd have to pay 10 times that to buy him now.

Guest chopey

Ashley said he wasn't putting another penny in buy Rafa could have every penny the club generated .........after he took his money out, iys turning into Blackpool.

Incredible that we can't compete financially with Bournemouth. 

Honestly, we're so far behind now it really is quite unbelievable.

Bournemouth just spent £19 million on a player that will start off as more of a backup for them initially.

Tbh I wouldnt touch Solanke. He isn't better than Rondon so someone better please.

as if we are signing anyone though. Need a CM so badly.

We don't own Rondon, he's also 28, and what if he gets injured?

Our only striker capable of playing in the PL is 28, very average and we don't even own him.

What a time to be alive!

£19m on an unproven kid.  The Game's gone.

Seen plenty genuinely upset we didn't go for him.  £19m for someone who's played the equivalent of just over 6 Premier League games (582 mins over over 21 games) ffs :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

From what I’ve seen of Solanke, Calvert-Lewin over the other side of Stanley looks a far better prospect. Admittedly I’ve not seen a great deal of either. 19m is crazy money, but today I think you almost have to step away from the cost of a player in terms of the transfer fee and look at things from the footballing economics and not the financial economics.

The game has changed, 19m today is not huge money when a club like Bournemouth can generate over 100m alone in revenue from TV deals every year just by being in the Premier League. Bournemouth signing a Solanke makes actual football economic sense because he is young, has potential, pedigree from Liverpool’s academy/development system and even if he were to only score say 5 goals a season for them during the course of his contract, would repay his transfer fee if those goals and other onfield contributions enabled Bournemouth to stay in the division or build towards a stronger position ahead of other clubs.

Likewise if they went down and he scored the goals to get them back up.

There is no risk for Bournemouth and should he have a decent season and get an England call up, they could even sell him on for a profit.

The actual risk belonged to Liverpool in keeping him or loaning him out.

19m is crazy money again, but only when you look at the transfer fee in isolation. Compare the market though...

I look at what we paid for Joselu and consider his fee much more crazier weirdly enough and that’s why Ashley and NUFC simply don’t belong in the same league as Bournemouth because we sign players based on financial economics which are totally irrelevant today, well they are at the prices we will only pay. The same applies with wages too.

We are stuck in some kind of time warp that makes us almost Victorian and in every way compared to even your Bournemouths and the whole transfer market and wage bill of the modern game today.

ITK I know, but I’ve been told Rafa had enquired about Solanke back in the summer and he was rumoured to be on his list this January, no doubt on a loan only deal of course... I’d have taken him. I would t want us spending 19 on him, but only because I don’t think we can take a risk right now on a Solanke at his age and experience in the kind of situation we are in just trying to stay up. 19m on Rondon would make more sense in that regard.

Clyne’s a good signing for them on loan, he’s a good player, I’m surprised Liverpool have let him go out even if it’s only on loan. I wonder if that means they will be looking to buy a left-back? As good as Robertson is and has been, he may well need a rest soon because he looked out of energy against City last night.

Hopefully they won’t go and offer silly money for Dummet... :lol: