Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

But not Villa who are committing big wages to Coutinho and Digne. We should be looking to push above them next season and create a gap. 

By the sounds of things we aren’t willing to offer big big wages 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

But not Villa who are committing big wages to Coutinho and Digne. We should be looking to push above them next season and create a gap. 

Coutinho and Digne are both within our wage structure - which doesn't go above 125k a week.

(I know, it is fucking OBSCENE that that figure is now considered par for the course, and I feel sick even typing it tbh)

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

By the sounds of things we aren’t willing to offer big big wages 

Maybe at this stage we aren’t, but if we want to compete in the medium to long term we will have to. No way around it. 

Just now, brummie said:

BTW - if we are signing Kamara as a free agent, it'll involve a nice signing on fee for him, I am sure.

Of course it will, free transfer = pay transfer fee to player basically. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Of course it will, free transfer = pay transfer fee to player basically. 

Innit.

The difference is, it won't be costing us anything like what Bissouma or Phliips would as a fee. 

Gerrard said a few weeks ago that they know who their targets are and want them all in place before pre-season starts. 

I rate all three of Kamara, Bissoumna and Phillips but regardless of what happens to Leeds, any moves for Phillips and Bissouma would drag on for ages as Brighton and Leeds extracted as much money as possible.

Just now, brummie said:

Innit.

The difference is, it won't be costing us anything like what Bissouma or Phliips would as a fee. 

Gerrard said a few weeks ago that they know who their targets are and want them all in place before pre-season starts. 

I rate all three of Kamara, Bissoumna and Phillips but regardless of what happens to Leeds, any moves for Phillips and Bissouma would drag on for ages as Brighton and Leeds extracted as much money as possible.

Unless Leeds go down, then his release clause comes in to play.

We might not even have been in for Kamara. He’s a good player, but it’s certainly not imperative that we signed him.  We might have other signings in mind who we feel are a better fit for the team, even if they’re not free. Grillitsch, Sangare, Phillips? Maybe we don’t even see DM as a position we need to work on this window? Maybe Villa offered higher wages? Maybe Kamara wants to play for Gerrard, or with Coutinho? Who knows? Either way, I’m happy to trust the club and the process they’re taking- let’s see who we get in, and what the team looks like come the start of next season. 

Just now, brummie said:

Innit.

Yup, this is where I am. Kamara is a no brainer over the other two. It works great you get a fantastic talent, it doesn’t so what you sell and recoup. 

1 minute ago, brummie said:

Innit.

It won’t drag on if Phillips has a release clause written in his contract and they’re relegated.

31 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Think it was more a convenient formula based on the set of players we had at the club, and ensuring we stayed up.

We'll have to see what happens anyway. Have a feeling with a full pre-season and summer to reshape the squad, he'll return to his preferred system.

Thing is he doesn't need to.  Just needs to add a bit more quality - Striker, CM, defender and we're set up nicely for next season.

Edited by duo

14 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Doubt it. 4-3-3 or variations of it is what the top sides play now, and we saw against Arsenal a glimpse of how he wants us to play next season and that was in the 4-3-3.

There is no set way of playing. It is based on each managers preference, so I doubt the decision will be made based on what the 'top teams' play.

The way we played against Arsenal was with more of a high press and greater ball possession, and that can be applied to lots of different types of systems.

Time will tell, but based on the strikers we are targeting, and the priority we appear to be placing on strikers ahead of additional central midfielders, my gut tells me we will be playing Howe's previous system, which he has typically always used previously.

The change to a 4-3-3 only even came about due to Joelinton having to drop deeper due to Clark's sending off, as well as a lack of availability of strikers due to Wilson getting injured.

FWIW DM is a position we have really suffered from not filling for a few years, it is absolutely our number one transfer requirement this summer, so not at all surprised if we have thrown money and effort at it to sort it out quickly.

All three of those are great players, though.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Thing is he doesn't need to.  Just needs to add a bit more quality - Striker, CM, defender and we're set up nicely for next season.

I mean, managers usually have their preferred setup. If he decides to go with that then it will be because he believes it gives him the greatest chance of achieving his aims. You might not think it's what he needs to do, but what's to say it doesn't make us an even better team? I hope if he does change it, people don't start getting on his case, because I already get the impression that will happen.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

There is no set way of playing. It is based on each managers preference, so I doubt the decision will be made based on what the 'top teams' play.

The way we played against Arsenal was with more of a high press and greater ball possession, and that can be applied to lots of different types of systems.

Time will tell, but based on the strikers we are targeting, and the priority we appear to be placing on strikers ahead of additional central midfielders, my gut tells me we will be playing Howe's previous system, which he has typically always used previously.

The change to a 4-3-3 only even came about due to Joelinton having to drop deeper due to Clark's sending off, as well as a lack of availability of strikers due to Wilson getting injured.

I hear what you’re saying and Howe’s earned the chance to go with the system he thinks will bring us the most success but id be lying if I said I wouldn’t have concerns with us moving to a system no other top teams in the world are using. 

30 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

I hear what you’re saying and Howe’s earned the chance to go with the system he thinks will bring us the most success but id be lying if I said I wouldn’t have concerns with us moving to a system no other top teams in the world are using. 

I mean it's not exactly a flat 4-4-2 with wingers sat out wide Burnley style.

One of the strikers drops and plays off the pacey striker looking to get in behind, and the two wide men play narrower in the half spaces like attacking midfielders, and the full backs then bomb on providing the width. It's really a variation of the 4-2-3-1, using another striker to provide more support to the main man upfront, rather than a classic number 10 that might end up dropping deeper more often and leaving the main striker isolated.

Edited by KaKa