Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 hour ago, Flip said:

They do, you are right. But Mbappé is actually playing and living in his hometown. Who says quality of life will be better in Madrid? Would people really find it odd if he decided he wanted to stay and try and become a hero in Paris and then maybe move in 2-3 years time? He has another 10 years of career at the very least, unless something happens. Money does play a big role as well, because at 23 while he has probably made an absurd amount of money, he could very well have his career ended tomorrow so a signing on bonus of €100m would set him and his family for life no matter what happens tomorrow. Obviously, we have no idea what Real Madrid is offering. Just saying that I wouldn't think it's ridiculous if he stays. 

A hero in his hometown? What by walking the league and getting knocked out of the Champions League every year? He's done enough of that already. Wasn't someone even saying on here that that they are even getting booed by the home fans of late? The whole PSG approach isn't even being appreciated by their own fans. It's increasingly just becoming a collection of divas.

As far as the being set for life argument if he stays at PSG, I'm pretty certain that wherever he chooses to go he will find himself in the same situation of being set for life at this point. Anyone looking to sign him on a free is going to be offering him ridiculously lucrative terms, even if they aren't as crass as the PSG offer.

21 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Be interesting to see how good Origi actually is when he's not coming off the bench every few games for one of the best teams in the world

I don't like the move for him. Think he ends up coming off the bench for them as well eventually.

1 hour ago, Flip said:

I mean, they reached the finals and semi-finals despite injury problems to their two best players. Of course they have a chance of winning the CL. I mean, they outplayed Real Madrid this year who actually got to the final. Also beat Man City in the group stages. There are about 6-8 clubs in Europe that can beat anyone at any given night and PSG is part of that group. 

They can beat whoever in the group, outplay whoever in the odd game, but I just don't see them winning that trophy. I don't ever see them rising to the occasion to beat the level of teams they will ultimately face in a semi and then final, if they get to that stage. They can never seemingly sustain a high level of intensity through a full game in the Champions League late round matches, and I think it's because they spend the whole season never having to do so in their league.

31 minutes ago, KaKa said:

They can beat whoever in the group, outplay whoever in the odd game, but I just don't see them winning that trophy. I don't ever see them rising to the occasion to beat the level of teams they will ultimately face in a semi and then final, if they get to that stage. They can never seemingly sustain a high level of intensity through a full game in the Champions League late round matches, and I think it's because they spend the whole season never having to do so in their league.

Not true though. Their biggest problem have been injuries late in the season to either Neymar or Mbappe. When they went to the CL final Neymar carried them there due to Kylians injury and then Kylian wasn’t really 100% for the final. But it all came down to small details like Kylian missing a one on one with Neuer and Neuer making two decent saves. Football is about details at the end of the day. PSG have shown again and again they can compete against the best in Europe. Or we should be applying a similar theory to Man City, but oh they play in the PL maintaining high intensity. And yet they’ve not won it...

I never said nobody ever turns down the money. It's that footballers are routinely expected to take less money than what the market offers and the reasons are usually weak. Most people don't do that themselves and if they do - it's because of massive issues that are affecting them fundamentally. I think Mbappe will leave because he's always wanted to join Real and being a success at Real is better for his worldwide reputation and makes him more likely to win the Ballon D'or even if he doesn't win the CL. But I assume life in Paris is v. good.

PSG are one of the best teams in the world and if they continue with this level of investment, they will likely win the CL or at least compete at the business end for the next decade. Mbappe is also a local lad and will have friends and family nearby. Him taking the money and trying to win the CL with PSG isn't some great crime against football or an indictment on his ambition.

Some are saying similar about Salah, how he shouldn't be greedy. I wouldn't begrudge him getting his money and trying to win the CL at PSG either.

It's especially funny coming from us because players money will be a big part in why players will be joining us. Renan Lodi wouldn't join us to earn the same money as he is earning at Atleti.

Edited by The College Dropout

Mbappes case is a bit different. It’s more about his ambition to be the best footballer in the world for the next decade. Put it this way, if he stays at PSG, and next year PSG wins the Champions League, people may still give more credit to Neymar or Messi and very likely Mbappe will not get the Ballon Dor. However if he goes to Real Madrid and wins it, the Ballon Dor will be 100% in his pocket, and everyone will claim this is the official opening of the Mbappe Era.

A lot of football fans are getting tired of Messi and CR7 and just hope the next era to begin ASAP. Whether you like him or not, Mbappe is the only successor of the throne, and it’s about time to do so.  Choosing money over the throne is a massive massive disappointment to these fans.

10 minutes ago, triggs said:

Benzema is a better player than Neymar or Messi are right now

Definitely and who says he’ll go to Real and be the main man. Who says Benzema doesn’t keep performing at this level or Vini who has 40G/A this season doesn’t take another jump in his development. 

1 hour ago, Flip said:

Not true though. Their biggest problem have been injuries late in the season to either Neymar or Mbappe. When they went to the CL final Neymar carried them there due to Kylians injury and then Kylian wasn’t really 100% for the final. But it all came down to small details like Kylian missing a one on one with Neuer and Neuer making two decent saves. Football is about details at the end of the day. PSG have shown again and again they can compete against the best in Europe. Or we should be applying a similar theory to Man City, but oh they play in the PL maintaining high intensity. And yet they’ve not won it...

Okay, well ... let's keep watching then. Messi is now off to America, and Neymar is just getting older and more disinterested.

Meanwhile Liverpool are adding the likes of Diaz and Man City are adding the likes of Haaland.

Pretty certain PSG, even with Mbappe staying, will not win it.

13 minutes ago, Flip said:

Definitely and who says he’ll go to Real and be the main man. Who says Benzema doesn’t keep performing at this level or Vini who has 40G/A this season doesn’t take another jump in his development. 

Why would Mbappe go to Real Madrid if he is not guaranteed the main man status...if that’s the case then you simply have no grounds criticising his decision if he stays in PSG 

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

:lol: you crazy froggy. 

Neymar had 1 assist and 0 goals from the quarter final right through to the final. You use the term carried very lightly. :lol: Atalanta result was a fluke too.

Edited by Froggy

26 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Neymar had 1 assist and 0 goals from the quarter final right through to the final. You use the term carried very lightly. :lol: Atalanta result was a fluke too.

Neymar was amazing in that game if you remember those games though and was behind it all. A fit Mbappé the whole way and I think PSG wins it all.

2 hours ago, Zero said:

Why would Mbappe go to Real Madrid if he is not guaranteed the main man status...if that’s the case then you simply have no grounds criticising his decision if he stays in PSG 

That’s my point. 

7 hours ago, Zero said:

Mbappes case is a bit different. It’s more about his ambition to be the best footballer in the world for the next decade. Put it this way, if he stays at PSG, and next year PSG wins the Champions League, people may still give more credit to Neymar or Messi and very likely Mbappe will not get the Ballon Dor. However if he goes to Real Madrid and wins it, the Ballon Dor will be 100% in his pocket, and everyone will claim this is the official opening of the Mbappe Era.

A lot of football fans are getting tired of Messi and CR7 and just hope the next era to begin ASAP. Whether you like him or not, Mbappe is the only successor of the throne, and it’s about time to do so.  Choosing money over the throne is a massive massive disappointment to these fans.

This isn't true. It's clear right now that Mbappe is the star man of that team. The Real match proved it. He's the only one of the 3 that can run as well.

7 hours ago, triggs said:

Benzema is a better player than Neymar or Messi are right now

Easily

6 hours ago, Flip said:

Aye. I mean he's definitely better than Vini but if Vini keeps improving...

But Mbappe is coming in as main man.

Edited by The College Dropout

I think for Mbappe moving would be more about playing a higher quality league that is of a higher profile, and that demands more of him. Think it will make him a better player and also just be better for his career in general.

All the guys joining PSG have at least done great things elsewhere, while they were at their peak powers. He doesn't want to end up staying there too long and stagnating because it's all so easy week in week out playing in a super team.

22 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think for Mbappe moving would be more about playing a higher quality league that is of a higher profile, and that demands more of him. Think it will make him a better player and also just be better for his career in general.

All the guys joining PSG have at least done great things elsewhere, while they were at their peak powers. He doesn't want to end up staying there too long and stagnating because it's all so easy week in week out playing in a super team.

Do people make the same argument about players' leaving Bayern? The quality of the Bundesliga outside of Bayern is similar to Ligue 1 and it's reflected by the leagues being ranked 4 & 5. I don't see how playing for Bayern is much different than playing for PSG sporting wise. League is a cake walk. All about CL.

If it's about quality of league he should join a PL team. La Liga is a weak as it's ever been. It's about joining the highest profile team in Europe - simple.

Donnarumma

Hakimi

Marquinhos

Verratti

All spending their peak years at PSG.