Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

There’ll be loads like it. Remember the Guardian podcast in particular saying:

Howe was shit

Players won’t respect him as he’s not first choice 

He’ll not be able to improve or motivate anyone already here as they’ll know they don’t have a long term future

All the players will want to leave as they’ll have no future

He won’t be able to attract players without paying loads

Amongst other shite

18 minutes ago, Disco said:

There’ll be loads like it. Remember the Guardian podcast in particular saying:

Howe was shit

Players won’t respect him as he’s not first choice 

He’ll not be able to improve or motivate anyone already here as they’ll know they don’t have a long term future

All the players will want to leave as they’ll have no future

He won’t be able to attract players without paying loads

Amongst other shite

I stopped listening to that show purely due to Glendenning. 

2 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

He was basically an personal appointment by Purslow who is the former Liverpool CEO and now in that position at Villa. Old boys network style appointment.

Hopefully it means they persevere with him way longer than they should. The press are doing their part, not a single article about him being under pressure.

He wasn’t considered by us as he refused complete an interview and just wanted to be headhunted.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11132469/amp/Steven-Gerrard-pressure-Aston-Villa-winning-just-three-14-league-games.html

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Sarr to Villa off, SSN

Good

Fucking pointless signing. Play a system in which you can't have wingers because the full backs are already there, struggle to shoe-horn Bailey into that set up for exactly the same reason, blatantly need a central midfielder and a centre half, don't address those gaps but try to buy another winger?

Guest HTT II

Emery was clearly first choice, I don’t know where Howe was on the list, but we clearly had a list and interviewed or wanted to interview everyone, so saying Howe was. 5th choice or 2nd or whatever would be misleading, none of them were our top choice other than Emery. I’m just so happy we got the RIGHT man!

Guest HTT II
Just now, brummie said:

Good

Fucking pointless signing. Play a system in which you can't have wingers because the full backs are already there, struggle to shoe-horn Bailey into that set up for exactly the same reason, blatantly need a central midfielder and a centre half, don't address those gaps but try to buy another winger?

@brummiehow is the feeling around Gerrard among Villa fans right now? I know several members of my family feel he’s another Steve Bruce and can’t stand him, they also think Digne has been a massive waste of money and weren’t happy yous sold off Targett to us. I’m all for any young English or British manager doing well, and Gerrard does have some pedigree with his time at Rangers, but it’s not looking good. I’ve seen yous about 5 times now under him and there is no consistently or game plan really.

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Emery was clearly first choice, I don’t know where Howe was on the list, but we clearly had a list and interviewed or wanted to interview everyone, so saying Howe was. 5th choice or 2nd or whatever would be misleading, none of them were our top choice other than Emery. I’m just so happy we got the RIGHT man!

It was widely reported that we narrowed it down to Howe and Emery. PIF's choice was Howe but the other two parties preferred Emery, hence he was our first choice.

As you say though, I'm delighted with how it panned out. I wouldn't want anyone else in charge of the club right now.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

Good

Yeah did think it was a bit of an odd one. You've got Buendia, Coutinho, Traore, Watkins, Bailey, Ings and then Sarr to try and take 3 of your attacking slots. 

Looks like Gerrard has finally stopped Coutinho 

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

@brummiehow is the feeling around Gerrard among Villa fans right now? I know several members of my family feel he’s another Steve Bruce and can’t stand him, they also think Digne has been a massive waste of money and weren’t happy yous sold off Targett to us. I’m all for any young English or British manager doing well, and Gerrard does have some pedigree with his time at Rangers, but it’s not looking good. I’ve seen yous about 5 times now under him and there is no consistently or game plan really.

Think I said it before from watching a bit of Rangers under Gerrard. They played exciting attacking football with marauding fullbacks, but they could afford to do that because well, the quality of the opposition up here is so poor. It is always very hard to make an assessment of how good a managers system is within that context, because you’re only really getting tested 4-5 games a season, and you’re up against such tactical geniuses as Malky Mackay, Jack Ross and Craig Leaven. The EPL is a totally different kettle of fish 

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Think I said it before from watching a bit of Rangers under Gerrard. They played exciting attacking football with marauding fullbacks, but they could afford to do that because well, the quality of the opposition up here is so poor. It is always very hard to make an assessment of how good a managers system is within that context, because you’re only really getting tested 4-5 games a season, and you’re up against such tactical geniuses as Malky Mackay, Jack Ross and Craig Leaven. The EPL is a totally different kettle of fish 

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was widely reported that we narrowed it down to Howe and Emery. PIF's choice was Howe but the other two parties preferred Emery, hence he was our first choice.

As you say though, I'm delighted with how it panned out. I wouldn't want anyone else in charge of the club right now.

From what I gather, Howe basically blew their socks off in his interview process and his plans and thoughts on the team at that point and going forward and you can just tell from his interviews and press stuff how articulate, intelligent and just how clever he is in terms of understanding players, the game and what our club needed then, now and going forward. I fucking love him me, probably more than Rafa at this point. I love his optimism, his hunger and how in every game he looks for a way to win, he’s got KK’s optimism, bravery and passion and excitement for match day and it reflects in the atmosphere at SJP. He gets it, he knows how much they can influence the crowd and vice versa. Under Bruce every game was let’s just keep the score down, not lose or try and nick a win, so negative.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

As a manager if you believe in a certain system or way of playing regardless of the level you have to try and make it work, the best managers do that, but even the not so best managers but prove themselves capable like Moyes etc. will deviate from such systems to make things work somehow and Gerrard right now is in between that. This is a huge season for him and his career!

10 minutes ago, HTT II said:

There is a definite feeling of discontent. Not too sure about the sentiment around Digne, mind, generally speaking people are happy with him. Have discussed Targett sale before, I understand why we moved him on in the circumstances.

I think a big hit was Michael Beale - asst manager - leaving to take the QPR job. The players had said a few times in interviews that Beale oversaw pretty much all the coaching (Emi Martinez went on that Ben Foster podcast and said this, and added that his tactics knowledge was incredible). He replaced him with Critchley, who is also highly thought of, but he wasn't on the Australian pre season tour (passport problems apparently) and won't really have had too much time to bed in.

It's unfair to compare Gerrard to Bruce, nothing quite matches the degree of ennui brought about by cabbage head, as you guys will know, and there have been some stand out performances under Gerrard. The situation is that 3 points from 3 games at the start of the season isn't sacking territory, but if you look back to the start of 2022, the record is really poor.

He needs to stop this insane tactic whereby we cede control of midfield because literally everything is going down the wings, it does not work. If he can break free of that and try something else then he'll do much better. He has certainly - assuming he fills the two holes we have - got the players to do well, he's just failing to get the best out of them. Boubacar Kamara looks an excellent signing, Carlos looked good too until his unfortunate injury. 

I am worried how things have started, and I can definitely see him getting binned if things don't improve but then again, I'd much much rather be us than Everton. A low bar admittedly, mind.

Oh and another misstep - giving McGinn, the dressing room joker, the captaincy is insane. He's had about three good games in two seasons, and is now seemingly undroppable despite being a clear non-deliverer. In doing that he also fucked off Mings needlessly. Mings takes unfair stick at times, he's always got a ricket in him, but our record with him is way better than without and against Everton his return made a huge difference.

He is undoubtedly in troubled territory, he can get himself out of it, but people are seeing clown shows like Saturday and hearing the way he talks about the team and thinking he brings back bad memories. Not of Bruce, nowhere near that level, but there's sometimes a hint of Paul Lambert about him. That is not a good thing. 

10 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

This is exactly it.

You're not playing bozos week in week out. It doesn't work like it did up there.

He has got to learn this, and fast.

Incidentally, we were shit on Saturday but Palace were really impressive, full of energy, creativity and running and clearly wanted it more (a bit like you lot yesterday).

Vieira is doing a good job there.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, brummie said:

There is a definite feeling of discontent. Not too sure about the sentiment around Digne, mind, generally speaking people are happy with him. Have discussed Targett sale before, I understand why we moved him on in the circumstances.

I think a big hit was Michael Beale - asst manager - leaving to take the QPR job. The players had said a few times in interviews that Beale oversaw pretty much all the coaching (Emi Martinez went on that Ben Foster podcast and said this, and added that his tactics knowledge was incredible). He replaced him with Critchley, who is also highly thought of, but he wasn't on the Australian pre season tour (passport problems apparently) and won't really have had too much time to bed in.

It's unfair to compare Gerrard to Bruce, nothing quite matches the degree of ennui brought about by cabbage head, as you guys will know, and there have been some stand out performances under Gerrard. The situation is that 3 points from 3 games at the start of the season isn't sacking territory, but if you look back to the start of 2022, the record is really poor.

He needs to stop this insane tactic whereby we cede control of midfield because literally everything is going down the wings, it does not work. If he can break free of that and try something else then he'll do much better. He has certainly - assuming he fills the two holes we have - got the players to do well, he's just failing to get the best out of them. Boubacar Kamara looks an excellent signing, Carlos looked good too until his unfortunate injury. 

I am worried how things have started, and I can definitely see him getting binned if things don't improve but then again, I'd much much rather be us than Everton. A low bar admittedly, mind.

Oh and another misstep - giving McGinn, the dressing room joker, the captaincy is insane. He's had about three good games in two seasons, and is now seemingly undroppable despite being a clear non-deliverer. In doing that he also fucked off Mings needlessly. Mings takes unfair stick at times, he's always got a ricket in him, but our record with him is way better than without and against Everton his return made a huge difference.

He is undoubtedly in troubled territory, he can get himself out of it, but people are seeing clown shows like Saturday and hearing the way he talks about the team and thinking he brings back bad memories. Not of Bruce, nowhere near that level, but there's sometimes a hint of Paul Lambert about him. That is not a good thing. 

Thanks for the response, I honestly hope he doesn’t flop because again I want to see young up and coming English/British managers do well and I have a soft spot for Villa, some of my family members I must admit, are just full of ire and hate regarding football which I don’t blame them these days so the minute a Gerrard looks like failing they are all over it in angst, I’m sure it’s a familiar pattern with many fans, nature of the game these days I suppose. You do have some very good players and an overall strong squad so if they get rid of Gerrard early doors, any decent manager will be well stocked in that sense, maybe a Rafa..l

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, brummie said:

Incidentally, we were shit on Saturday but Palace were really impressive, full of energy, creativity and running and clearly wanted it more (a bit like you lot yesterday).

Vieira is doing a good job there.

I’m really enjoying what he’s doing there, they look like a poor imitation of prime Arsenal under Wenger, loads of pace, physicality, dynamism and sheer exuberance. Really good to watch in the eye and with an end product, I don’t rate Zaha that highly, but Vieira is getting the very utmost out of him.

Given that Purslow is our CEO, I think I have more of a chance of getting the Villa job than Rafa ;-) 

The other thing I didn't mention, there's been a few signs of throwing players under the bus, which is not going down well with the fans.

He can turn this around, though, he just needs to do it soon.

Oh, and I also just read that the proposed Sarr deal involved Cameron Archer, who is unbelievably promising, going there on loan. He'd just made a big song and dance about how he's staying here for the season, but to now have considered loaning him seems insane.

Just now, HTT II said:

I’m really enjoying what he’s doing there, they look like a poor imitation of prime Arsenal under Wenger, loads of pace, physicality, dynamism and sheer exuberance. Really good to watch in the eye and with an end product, I don’t rate Zaha that highly, but Vieira is getting the very utmost out of him.

Zaha - who remains an absolute wanker, mind - was very very good on Saturday.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, brummie said:

Zaha - who remains an absolute wanker, mind - was very very good on Saturday.

Aye he’s not my fave player tbh, but he was very good. Again Vieira seems to have got the best out of him! Palace feel like a right bastard of a team to play against on and off the ball. He’s doing a good job there IMO.