Other clubs' transfers

Greg

3 hours ago, brummie said:

Incidentally, we were shit on Saturday but Palace were really impressive, full of energy, creativity and running and clearly wanted it more (a bit like you lot yesterday).

Vieira is doing a good job there.

think i'd watch palace play at home above almost all other PL teams myself, they're always at it and good value

5 hours ago, brummie said:

There is a definite feeling of discontent. Not too sure about the sentiment around Digne, mind, generally speaking people are happy with him. Have discussed Targett sale before, I understand why we moved him on in the circumstances.

I think a big hit was Michael Beale - asst manager - leaving to take the QPR job. The players had said a few times in interviews that Beale oversaw pretty much all the coaching (Emi Martinez went on that Ben Foster podcast and said this, and added that his tactics knowledge was incredible). He replaced him with Critchley, who is also highly thought of, but he wasn't on the Australian pre season tour (passport problems apparently) and won't really have had too much time to bed in.

It's unfair to compare Gerrard to Bruce, nothing quite matches the degree of ennui brought about by cabbage head, as you guys will know, and there have been some stand out performances under Gerrard. The situation is that 3 points from 3 games at the start of the season isn't sacking territory, but if you look back to the start of 2022, the record is really poor.

He needs to stop this insane tactic whereby we cede control of midfield because literally everything is going down the wings, it does not work. If he can break free of that and try something else then he'll do much better. He has certainly - assuming he fills the two holes we have - got the players to do well, he's just failing to get the best out of them. Boubacar Kamara looks an excellent signing, Carlos looked good too until his unfortunate injury. 

I am worried how things have started, and I can definitely see him getting binned if things don't improve but then again, I'd much much rather be us than Everton. A low bar admittedly, mind.

Oh and another misstep - giving McGinn, the dressing room joker, the captaincy is insane. He's had about three good games in two seasons, and is now seemingly undroppable despite being a clear non-deliverer. In doing that he also fucked off Mings needlessly. Mings takes unfair stick at times, he's always got a ricket in him, but our record with him is way better than without and against Everton his return made a huge difference.

He is undoubtedly in troubled territory, he can get himself out of it, but people are seeing clown shows like Saturday and hearing the way he talks about the team and thinking he brings back bad memories. Not of Bruce, nowhere near that level, but there's sometimes a hint of Paul Lambert about him. That is not a good thing. 

I'll be fucked if Lampard becomes a better manager than Gerrard, but the fan bases are telling that story. For now.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Chelsea to bid 60 million for Gordon 

How Chelsea can spend like this when the rest of the league outside the Sinister Six are handcuffed by FFP is absolute horseshit. Unless the £60m is heavily bulked out by Gordon winning the treble every season, then Everton are massively pegging Boehly and Chelsea with this.

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

How Chelsea can spend like this when the rest of the league outside the Sinister Six are handcuffed by FFP is absolute horseshit. Unless the £60m is heavily bulked out by Gordon winning the treble every season, then Everton are massively pegging Boehly and Chelsea with this.

Two of the three clubs who most appear to be thumbing their nose at FFP (or that new version) are not in the Top Six - Everton and Notts Forest.

Not that it’s not designed to preserve the status quo, like. Just that what Chelsea have done/are doing is especially egregious.