Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Something about smoking hash and the red light district being the downfall of Joel Veltman but I’m not fluent in Dutch unlike my mate from Tilburg so might be wrong.

35 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I know Liverpool are Liverpool but if I were a player with a choice of being apart of a project like the one we have at NUFC, with champions league football, I'd probably prefer SJP over Anfield at the moment. I'm curious how much we have moved the dial and if its gotten to the point where players would be silly to not come here and prefer a shit show under Klopp over us.

It's only been a year, and we've just made the Champions League for the first time in forever, and you are already referring to Liverpool as a 'shit show' that players should be rejecting in our favour. My goodness.

41 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I know Liverpool are Liverpool but if I were a player with a choice of being apart of a project like the one we have at NUFC, with champions league football, I'd probably prefer SJP over Anfield at the moment. I'm curious how much we have moved the dial and if its gotten to the point where players would be silly to not come here and prefer a shit show under Klopp over us.

That’s a pretty mad take, only a season ago they nearly won the lot. They have a had a bad season but will be the closest challenges to Man City next year imo. Be a few years yet before people are choosing us over Liverpool.

48 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I can't stand them but not sure how Liverpool are a shit show.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

You'd imagine give we play similar systems, us and Liverpool will be shopping in the same pool of midfielders. Athletic, press-proof all-rounders like Kone and Thuram. 

And Mctominay ?

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

You'd imagine give we play similar systems, us and Liverpool will be shopping in the same pool of midfielders. Athletic, press-proof all-rounders like Kone and Thuram. 

Was gonna say. We seem to have been chasing the same targets last season too. 

8 hours ago, Froggy said:

Aye, we're not City. :lol: We finished 6th last year and got a new manager in. City won the league and kept Pep. City lost 3 first team players in the summer and signed 3. We lost 7 first team players and signed 5. Pretty ridiculous to try and compare.

By "spunked it up the wall" do you mean make several top class signings by the way? Strange language. 

The reason we didn't spend in January is because the Glazer's didn't want to spend. Simple as. Do better.

It's 3) Stop using dumb analogies and do better.

That's not what anybody said. Do better.

I’m always going to try and give Man U and ETH pelters and having you on the board probably does bring out some (well natured) antagonism but I maintain you can’t completely disassociate the 2 windows. Like all online discussion the truth lies somewhere in between ‘spending in the summer has no impact whatsoever on the winter’ and ‘Manure have spent over a billion so cry me a river’.

The fact that you needed players is also irrelevant. Every team wants more and better players but budgets and FFP exist. 

As to the ETH speaking highly of us all season: I don’t remember it that way. He was opening slagging us off as time wasters and shit houses.

1 minute ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Aye, we’re miles off being considered a better option than Liverpool. They’re huge. 

Probably not this summer, but we’d still be vulnerable if Liverpool really were serious about taking one of our players. 

This is impossible to say, depending on our trajectory...

...but while we can't compete with them in terms of past success or wages, I don't feel like they have the resources or the guaranteed trophy haul to be a huge threat to be competing for our better players. They're not as attractive as City, Real or even Barca at the moment.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

I haven't seen him speaking at the time he joined you, but I am prepared to bet everything I own (except my cat, I like her) that 'barely spoke English' is a wildly inaccurate description.

For a start, he's Dutch, most of them speak better English than we do.

55 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Any Dutch speakers who can translate what Ten Hag is saying here?

Brutal :lol:

17 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Aye, we’re miles off being considered a better option than Liverpool. They’re huge. 

Probably not this summer, but we’d still be vulnerable if Liverpool really were serious about taking one of our players. 

When competing for the same players at other clubs, yes, but signing away our own players? No chance.

16 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Brutal :lol:

Meh. That's what you get for believing the media. :lol: in the months leading up to his appointment it was widely reported that he was taking English lessons to become fluent. His fluent and our fluent is obviously very different.

21 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Meh. That's what you get for believing the media. :lol: in the months leading up to his appointment it was widely reported that he was taking English lessons to become fluent. His fluent and our fluent is obviously very different.

feel like you’d appreciate / be annoyed by this. Have a mate who’s a Man United fan who’s convinced we spent a ton with Saudi money and only uses Isak as the reference. Whilst obv trying to educate him on prior spend pre takeover and the depth of the squad from rele etc he was only hearing the Isak deal and then brought up the Gordon deal as a shit one. He’s massively informed too, so it’s odd. 

My usually harsh boss who’s a Dutch guy (Feyenoord fan, hates Ten Hag because he’s Ajax linked lol) said Dutch media portrays us pretty damn good. Built the right way. Measured etc. @Unbelievable   Although he does like Botman after watching him this season. 

16.8 - Bruno Fernandes assisted the most xG of any player in the PL in 2022-23 (16.8), although his teammates scored only 8 goals from those passes.

16.8 - Bruno Fernandes

13.9 - Kevin De Bruyne

12.4 - Kieran Trippier

11.5 - Trent Alexander-Arnold

10.5 - Pascal Groß

Man is crying out for a Kane, or a Wilson. :bluestar:

9 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

LIverpool recovered form in the second half of the season, and I imagine they'd be challenging City next season (though unsuccessfully, I imagine) Nunez wasn't a good buy, but Gakpo has been a much better fit, and I think that shows in their results.

I'm not sure that our best players would be tempted by LIverpool at the moment unless they were to offer huge wages. And we have no need to sell, so we could probably see off any unwanted approach.

However, if we were competing with LIverpool for a player, then we would be unlikely to succeed - not just in terms of wages, but because of their past record of success. 

But if I were a good player who hadn't quite made that final breakthrough into the top echelon (eg Maddison), I'd be looking at what Eddie has achieved and thinking I could benefit.

3 minutes ago, Cronky said:

LIverpool recovered form in the second half of the season, and I imagine they'd be challenging City next season (though unsuccessfully, I imagine) Nunez wasn't a good buy, but Gakpo has been a much better fit, and I think that shows in their results.

I'm not sure that our best players would be tempted by LIverpool at the moment unless they were to offer huge wages. And we have no need to sell, so we could probably see off any unwanted approach.

However, if we were competing with LIverpool for a player, then we would be unlikely to succeed - not just in terms of wages, but because of their past record of success. 

But if I were a good player who hadn't quite made that final breakthrough into the top echelon (eg Maddison), I'd be looking at what Eddie has achieved and thinking I could benefit.

Liverpool can’t afford our players, well the ones they would want anyway. 

Yeah, Liverpool we’re unlucky with injuries and had pretty lackluster midfield options. They’ll rectify the squad issues in the summer by spending big and will almost undoubtedly finish in the top 4 next season.

9 hours ago, KaKa said:

When competing for the same players at other clubs, yes, but signing away our own players? No chance.

Like I said probably not this summer, but you're telling me that this early into our 'project', if Liverpool were really serious about taking Botman as a long term VVD replacement, Botman wouldn't be extremely tempted?

Let's not get too carried away based on the back of one fantastic season for us and one down season for them. Liverpool are one of football's giants and it'll take consistent Champions League qualification and challenging for honours before that changes - and I say this as someone who fucking hates them more than any other team. This isn't a dig at NUFC or our owners, it's just the way that it is for now.

Not to say it won't change, though. And to reiterate - I'm not worried about them taking one of our or anything like that, certainly not this summer. Just that they're still a huge draw for players, at or away from NUFC.