Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Mid-table without DCL and could they be dragged into a relegation fight? It’s not looking good for Rafa it has to be said, if they stick with him and back him in the transfer market, however, I think long-term he will bring a better degree of success for them than under previous managers. I fancy them to get a draw against Liverpool mind, still.

They can’t back him in the transfer window, he has nowt to spend. Other than a free transfer or loan, he won’t be getting anyone in January.

I don't really get the narrative that Everton has a poor squad. I'd be over the moon if we had Rondon & Tosun as cover for DCL and Richarlison, or Gomes, Delph and Sigurdsson as cover for Allan and Doucoure, or Holgate and Godfrey as cover for Keane and Mina. The only position they are lacking adequate cover behind a strong startin 11 is on the wings imo. Benitez is definitely under performing despite injury problems.

14 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

They can’t back him in the transfer window, he has nowt to spend. Other than a free transfer or loan, he won’t be getting anyone in January.

He said in some interview it was nice to have backing of Chairman in transfers; alluding he had none from MA. Ironic that despite backing from new Chairman, its only moral and not financial backing. Surely he must have known about Everton's FFP before taking up the role

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I'm glad he didn't tbh. 

No guarantee Howe is going to work out but with Rafa we know that he can get the best out of this group of players. He was the perfect fit for us trying to stay up this season imo. Eventually he could have maybe moved upstairs and overseen the rebuilding of the club. 

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Tosun is pure wank, as is Keane. 

Tosun is also 4th choice striker. You won't find many better 4th choice strikers in the PL.

Guess we'll just have to disagree on Keane. First choice for Everton under Ancelotti & Benitez indicates there's something to him. Reckon he'd be able to get into most teams bar the top 3-4.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Tosun is also 4th choice striker. You won't find many better 4th choice strikers in the PL.

Guess we'll just have to disagree on Keane. First choice for Everton under Ancelotti & Benitez indicates there's something to him. Reckon he'd be able to get into most teams bar the top 3-4.

By comparison - we don’t even have a fourth striker. :lol: 

30 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I don't really get the narrative that Everton has a poor squad. I'd be over the moon if we had Rondon & Tosun as cover for DCL and Richarlison, or Gomes, Delph and Sigurdsson as cover for Allan and Doucoure, or Holgate and Godfrey as cover for Keane and Mina. The only position they are lacking adequate cover behind a strong startin 11 is on the wings imo. Benitez is definitely under performing despite injury problems.

You do know Gylfi can't play for them? Gomes has been shite since injury too

Reading the Everton forum and it’s really quite poisonous. Not just about Rafa but the players and club in general.

Reads a lot like here during our relegation seasons actually.

Is there a chance of them going down or even just getting dragged into it? Not a pot to piss in, DCL out for a long period and players not performing at all.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

21 minutes ago, Decky said:

No guarantee Howe is going to work out but with Rafa we know that he can get the best out of this group of players. He was the perfect fit for us trying to stay up this season imo. Eventually he could have maybe moved upstairs and overseen the rebuilding of the club. 

Yep he would have seen us safe more than likely, but I still think Howe will do that. I don't think appointing a manager to survive is what we're about any more, and it's also not what Rafa's about either. If he was coming here it would be to win stuff, and I'm not sure his style of football is the way to do it any more. FA cup maybe with a strong squad. 

I suppose it was a bit ambitious thinking he could walk into a club where he's hated and that has a squad full of expensive mercenaries and turn it around, with no transfer budget. He probably thought because he did well at Chelsea he could do it again, but they had a squad of good pros. Sad situation really.

17 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I suppose it was a bit ambitious thinking he could walk into a club where he's hated and that has a squad full of expensive mercenaries and turn it around, with no transfer budget. He probably thought because he did well at Chelsea he could do it again, but they had a squad of good pros. Sad situation really.

Egotistical more than ambitious.

40 minutes ago, Dokko said:

We knew he was finished as a top tier manager but I didn't realise it was over for him at 2nd tier as well.

We were the 7th best side in the league in his last half season in charge with mostly the same shit who have us bottom now. There’s nothing remotely suggesting he’s done at top level through any reasonable / unbiased perspective. 

Rafa is now the type of manager who needs to be at the right club to be effective, as he was here. A bit like Moyes at Everton and now WHU or Big Sam at Bolton for example. If Everton stick with him and allow him to rebuild he will, again, do well for them. He’s too good to fail, but he’s on a hiding to nothing there and it’s looking likely to end in tears. Some of his managerial choices have been so iffy though, although it worked out here for him, it was a crazy move going from Real Madrid to a relegation threatened NUFC and then staying with us for as long as he did. Then the whole China thing and now Everton… he could probably do with some time out of the game to be honest.

Edited by HTT II

12 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We were the 7th best side in the league in his last half season in charge with mostly the same shit who have us bottom now. There’s nothing remotely suggesting he’s done at top level through any reasonable / unbiased perspective. 

That was a long time ago and you've cherry picked a run of games to judge him on. You could probably do the same with Bruce. Not sure why you'd think Id be biased. I'd have took him here over Howe before he arrived.