Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Pretty sure he said it was life-changing money to his team of assistants, I don't blame him at all for taking the job.

It was a boat load of money, yeah.

It was also a project where they wanted him to restructure the whole club from top to bottom and even re-design their training ground and stuff like that from what I recall.

And so it was something quite different and unique.

I often do wonder what kind of signings he would have got had we not gone for the 7th name on the list but the first. I'm very keen to see how he does at Leicester, would be nice for him to do well and people put some respect on his name.

22 minutes ago, andycap said:

I wonder if it's because he's foreign why people tend to slate him? And the type that used to believe Ashley's pr machine. 

Jesus Christ man the best managers in the league are mainly foreign - let’s not stoop that low ffs. If that was the case then surely the same people would be skating foreign players or does that rule not apply for them

The only two Ashley seasons that weren't boring prior to Rafa's arrival we were a complete shambles and got relegated with far more at our disposal. Half a season of Keegan and Roeder aside, you're going back to Sir Bobby for the last time it wasn't boring or entertaining in a completely shambolic and disasterous way.  Boring was a virtue by comparison.

It was more 'boring' than McLaren's football in the same way that not falling out of a window despite being ushered towards it is more boring than falling out of a window despite being ushered away from it.

53 minutes ago, magvicar said:

I think Rafa is a poisoned chalice for any club to be fair.

I wasn't too keen on him at Newcastle as time went on. 

I don't like his style of football and I don't think players do.

I also don't think he has any man management skills.

But most of all I don't like the way he left the club, regardless of whether people hated Ashley.

His utter bull crap of saying that Chinese club was just the project he wanted was laughable. I mean it had nothing to do with the 12 million contract or so he was offered to do absolutely nothing more than any average Joe could've done.

I feel sorry for any club that takes him on, on the wages he would be asking.

I just don't like the bloke.

52 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Completely agree but for years not said this is I know I’m in the minority opinion.

quiet-kill.gif

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He can maange where the hell he wants to man. What are you on about :lol:

Not as if he couldn't then come back whenever he pleased. 

I was avoiding the club in those days so could be off, but my interpretation was he saw China as a good spot from which he could easily return to Newcastle should the takeover have come through? A bit tragic that it ended up being 6 months late really.

9 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

The only two Ashley seasons that weren't boring prior to Rafa's arrival we were a complete shambles and got relegated with far more at our disposal. Half a season of Keegan and Roeder aside, you're going back to Sir Bobby for the last time it wasn't boring or entertaining in a completely shambolic and disasterous way.  Boring was a virtue by comparison.

It was more 'boring' than McLaren's football in the same way that not falling out of a window despite being ushered towards it is more boring than falling out of a window despite being ushered away from it.

Pardew's miracle 5th was entertaining in a non-shambolic way imo.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

I was avoiding the club in those days so could be off, but my interpretation was he saw China as a good spot from which he could easily return to Newcastle should the takeover have come through? A bit tragic that it ended up being 6 months late really.

That's a really good point as well actually!

Rafa will have managed a quarter of the teams in the league, if he takes another job. Along with his Chinese stint, that doesn't sit right with me. 

I'm fully on board this takeover doesn't happen without him, and for that i'm grateful. I'm also glad he fought Ashley for us, but he played the fans, and then chased the money. I'm sure we hold him in more fondness that he does us, we were just a job, like the many he's had since.

Overall i'm very neutral about him. 

Edited by Dokko

Rafa was and still is a great manager, and a great man. We owe him so much for staying with us after relegation and getting us back up - people seem to forget his club before us was Real Madrid - Real Madrid ffs! Guarantee the takeover would never have happened without him.

Everton is absolutely toxic at the moment and has been for some time - it was a bad move for him to make but can see why he went there given the connection he has with the city and his family being based there. I'd back him to keep Leicester up and turn things around there.

1 hour ago, magvicar said:

I think Rafa is a poisoned chalice for any club to be fair.

I wasn't too keen on him at Newcastle as time went on. 

I don't like his style of football and I don't think players do.

I also don't think he has any man management skills.

But most of all I don't like the way he left the club, regardless of whether people hated Ashley.

His utter bull crap of saying that Chinese club was just the project he wanted was laughable. I mean it had nothing to do with the 12 million contract or so he was offered to do absolutely nothing more than any average Joe could've done.

I feel sorry for any club that takes him on, on the wages he would be asking.

I just don't like the bloke.

Absolute mess of a post 

Rafa’s just not an exciting name anymore, I imagine most fans look at a club like Brighton with De Zerbi and realise that there are just far more exciting options out there, and if those in charge are genuinely clued up a side like Leicester could be challenging for the CL as we are. That’s just very unlikely to happen under Rafa, the game has moved on from his glory days at Liverpool.

Love the bloke but if I was a Leicester fan I would have been praying for someone like Vincent Kompany.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

11 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Rafa will have managed a quarter of the teams in the league, if he takes another job. Along with his Chinese stint, that doesn't sit right with me. 

I'm fully on board this takeover doesn't happen without him, and for that i'm grateful. I'm also glad he fought Ashley for us, but he played the fans, and then chased the money. I'm sure we hold him in more fondness that he does us, we were just a job, like the many he's had since.

Overall i'm very neutral about him. 

How did he play the fans man?

I think he’s a good appointment with an eye to possible relegation. Most of their bigger players will clearly leave in the summer and he could be left with a young mouldable squad. 

He’s always done better with young players he can mentor and teach who can see that he is improving their career and prospects. It’s when he’s given a team of established stars they don’t take kindly to someone trying to tell them they are doing the basics wrong.

They have a lot of players who’s deals expire in the summer and many more with one year left. May be a bit like Burnley where the fire sale can be used to build a more dynamic young squad with some loan signings on top. As shit as they have been they still have quite a few saleable assets.

Rafa was the only shinning light during the Ashley years.  Gave us something to be proud of when he was here - he is an absolute class act.  Agreed we have moved on but will always have the utmost respect for the man.

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

Expected more from him. Expected him to stay at the highest level and not to go after the money. He'd already earned hundreds of billions during his time in football.

Might sound daft, but I've never looked at the man the same after that.

There were no other suitable top jobs in Europe around man. What was the football obsessed fella supposed to do? Sit at home?

I will never understand this point of view. It was just Ashley PR and it’s been done to death now. If you still don’t get it well…. I don’t know what to say. 

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

How did he play the fans man?

If you don't know, then you're probably still suffering. It was all just a game to him, he won plenty of the battles but in the end, lost the war. 

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

If you don't know, then you're probably still suffering. It was all just a game to him, he won plenty of the battles but in the end, lost the war. 

That’s bollocks man. You’ve fallen for Ashley’s PR. 

He loved the club and the fans and saw us as a project, a sleeping giant he could help resurrect.

He was badly let down…. and by the looks of it still is.