Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Howaythetoon

We didn’t really spend much in ‘93 when we went up, but KK said at the time he believed the players he had were more than good enough to a) stay up and b) do well. Finishing 3rd was beyond anyone’s target, even KK’s. Long-term he knew the team needed major money spent to compete and we did that. It’s not comparable at all.

There is a hell of a lot more difference than that.  To continue on this path is just being utterly obtuse. Reminds me of trying to explain the cause and effect of U.S. foreign policy to a couple of Trump supporters.

give me the gist of it cuz my pal thinks it's great and I want to argue with him a little more eruditely than I currently do.

There is a hell of a lot more difference than that.  To continue on this path is just being utterly obtuse. Reminds me of trying to explain the cause and effect of U.S. foreign policy to a couple of Trump supporters.

Funny mentioning Trump when you’re talking shite.

Guest Howaythetoon

Forget the money, the two teams are totally different and so was the game back then. A top 2nd tier team was more like a mid level PL team back then as opposed to now where relegation is almost a certainty for a newly promoted team. We were on the crest of a wave and had a nucleus of a good team already. The team KK took up would wipe the floor with this team, almost every player, in fact I’d say every first team player back then, would walk into this team now. Again it can’t be compared. You can’t even compare it with Hughton’s team that came up, the variables have changed so much.

Leaving Ritchie on was absolutely inexcusable. We were dying for Murphy to come on, and he blatantly settled for a point whilst Ritchie just slowed down every single bit of play we had in the most painful fashion.

Shite, complete wrong approach today.

Wrong.

Guest Howaythetoon

Wrong approach second half. The first half I was pleasantly surprised taking the game to them. Second half same old Rafa at home and absolute nonsense to be frank.

Sorry like... But we should have been 3 up by half time. Lack of a quality striker cost us. Anything else is just stupid. Bored to fucking tears of people following the mantra that if a team is doing bad it must be the managers fault. Mindless fuck spackers following the Sky Sports / Premier League mantra. Have a word with yourselves man. Tits.

Leaving Ritchie on was absolutely inexcusable. We were dying for Murphy to come on, and he blatantly settled for a point whilst Ritchie just slowed down every single bit of play we had in the most painful fashion.

Wrong.

Feel free to tell me why.

Wrong today again.

What?!

We should have been like 3up at half time man...

Fucking madness H. Rafa is giving us a chance in games, the players just aren't good enough.

Some seem to think we could just flick a switch and attack teams to death blithely ignoring that we get picked off at home in the current defensive system and we don't have any good attacking players.

Crazy shit.

Funny mentioning Trump when you’re talking s****.

How did neesy get nominated above this clown?

Crumpy is right about the home form mind. It is f***ing garbage and needs sorting. You should never feel more comfortable when playing away than at home.

The home form is disgraceful especially when you consider there is only Man City who were a top team all of the other games were certainly what I would class as winnable games. And 2 points out of 21 is not good enough. The fact that there is probably no signings of the required standard to come in it’s essential we beat the teams which you would think we should especially at home.

Rafa obviously doesn't trust this group of players to open up and frankly I think he's spot on.

Maybe he doesn’t but then again it doesn’t hide the fact that 2 points out of 21 is not good enough

He's playing the margins but the s**** he has available to him are missing key chances at key points in games.

I don't know what you want, we probably have the poorest squad in the division, if we go at teams at home they'll pick us to bits.

Almost certainly.

Somebody like a Demba Ba in this side, and we would have been just about safe by now in my opinion.

Absolutely. Today is a perfect example of our problems. He's got a load of poor/average players working a system and we created enough chances to win the game in the first half. Striker didn't score any of them because he's not good enough at this level and Rafa knows it.

I’ve got every sympathy with the lack of funding but the team was built last year with the sole purpose of getting promoted and I again compare that to Keegan who added players with the intention winning the league but also players he knew could make the step up. Maybe Rafa thought some of the players he bought would but surely with Ashley’s track record he wasn’t expecting another team to be bought

A lot easier to do 25 odd years ago, the market was very different and you may recall Rafa tried to bring in Premier League ready players last January but Mike Ashley blocked them.

So you think the likes of Andy Cole, Beresford, Bracewell, Venison and Beresford wouldn’t have made it now - really?

No not at all, I said the market 2 million in a premiership striker

Crumpy is right about the home form mind. It is f***ing garbage and needs sorting. You should never feel more comfortable when playing away than at home.

The home form is disgraceful especially when you consider there is only Man City who were a top team all of the other games were certainly what I would class as winnable games. And 2 points out of 21 is not good enough. The fact that there is probably no signings of the required standard to come in it’s essential we beat the teams which you would think we should especially at home.

Rafa obviously doesn't trust this group of players to open up and frankly I think he's spot on.

Maybe he doesn’t but then again it doesn’t hide the fact that 2 points out of 21 is not good enough

He's playing the margins but the s**** he has available to him are missing key chances at key points in games.

I don't know what you want, we probably have the poorest squad in the division, if we go at teams at home they'll pick us to bits.

Almost certainly.

Somebody like a Demba Ba in this side, and we would have been just about safe by now in my opinion.

Absolutely. Today is a perfect example of our problems. He's got a load of poor/average players working a system and we created enough chances to win the game in the first half. Striker didn't score any of them because he's not good enough at this level and Rafa knows it.

I’ve got every sympathy with the lack of funding but the team was built last year with the sole purpose of getting promoted and I again compare that to Keegan who added players with the intention winning the league but also players he knew could make the step up. Maybe Rafa thought some of the players he bought would but surely with Ashley’s track record he wasn’t expecting another team to be bought

A lot easier to do 25 odd years ago, the market was very different and you may recall Rafa tried to bring in Premier League ready players last January but Mike Ashley blocked them.

So you think the likes of Andy Cole, Beresford, Bracewell, Venison and Beresford wouldn’t have made it now - really?

No not at all, I said the market was different. We'd be looking at around £20m for Andy Cole for example after a decent season at Bristol City.

When did we last spend £20m? Oh wait.

as different. We'd be looking at around £20m for Andy Cole for example after a decent season at Bristol City.

So Any Cole at that time playing in the Championship with Bristol scoring 12 goals would be worth more than 8 million than a premiership striker like Gayle at that time aye right.

Funny mentioning Trump when you’re talking s****.

How did neesy get nominated above this clown?

Here’s me clueless on board

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

No not at all, I said the market was different. We'd be looking at around £20m for Andy Cole for example after a decent season at Bristol City.

as different. We'd be looking at around £20m for Andy Cole for example after a decent season at Bristol City.

So Any Cole at that time playing in the Championship with Bristol scoring 12 goals would be worth more than 8 million than a premiership striker like Gayle at that time aye right.

Quite possibly yes, much younger and much more potential.

Wrong.

Feel free to tell me why.

Settled for a point?! We should have been 3 up at half time and if we didn't have two 1 goal in  3 chances strikers we would have been. Swansea deserved nowt but to be beat today and we failed to put them to the sword because in my opinion ion lack of confidence and not quality. We do shit at home because half of the fans are utter fucking Doyls who should fuck off to Warner brothers if they want to be entertained.

Wrong today again.

What?!

Fucking madness H. Rafa is giving us a chance in games, the players just aren't good enough.

Some seem to think we could just flick a switch and attack teams to death blithely ignoring that we get picked off at home in the current defensive system and we don't have any good attacking players.

Crazy shit.

We had like 4 good chances in the first 30minutes. Your post is lost on me, maybe cause I'm half cut but the game today was in our hands. We didn't win because we lacked confidence and composure

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Not 20 million at that time no chance

Wrong today again.

What?!

Crazy shit.

We had like 4 good chances in the first 30minutes. Your post is lost on me, maybe cause I'm half cut but the game today was in our hands. We didn't win because we lacked confidence and composure

Yeah I think you're giving pissed because I'm agreeing with you other than you're attributing a lack of goals to composure or something and I say the strikers are simply not good enough. As I've said Rafa has the team system functioning and creating chances but we don't have good enough players to finish them.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Semantics. The point is that the market and the game is entirely different to 25 years ago. The Rafa and Keegan situations are not comparable.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sorry like... But we should have been 3 up by half time. Lack of a quality striker cost us. Anything else is just stupid. Bored to f***ing tears of people following the mantra that if a team is doing bad it must be the managers fault. Mindless f*** spackers following the Sky Sports / Premier League mantra. Have a word with yourselves man. Tits.

Agreed. But we didn’t and as such it was 0-0 at half-time. What we did second half was allow a totally awful Swansea side to take the lead, dominate possession and basically have the second half. When you are dominant and creating chances you keep going, keep knocking on that door, eventually one will go in. We just didn’t turn up second half, a complete contras to the first half.

Again there is no excuse for that.

If we go in 2-0 up then you can relax etc. Go in 0-0 despite having the best chances and unlucky not to lead and surely you keep going. But oh no, not Rafa at home. Negative, boring, counter productive and total nonsense. This kind of ‘result’ can send you down. Swansea will draw huge confidence from this, for us it’s another game in the league at home we’ve failed to win.

It’s definately a ‘tactic’ of the manager because he was constantly instructing certain players to not get too far forward, to hold a line, to drop back and when the captain tells the keeper not to release the ball early and then bollocks him for even thinking about it, despite a break on and the crowd pushing for an early release...

It’s like the manager is happy just not to lose at home.

Me, I don’t get it or the tactics, it’s shit and costing us big time. Swansea were there for the taking and one of the worst sides I’ve seen at home, yet second half they bossed it. First half only one winner and comfortably so, but only if we kept playing in the same vein...

Second half. It was like a different team, a different game.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

A 21 year old striker who just scored 1 in 2 in the championship is going for near £20m in this day and age like

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Almost certainly.

Assombaloga or whatever his name is cost £14m iirc. Jordan never scores Rhodes regularly sells for +£10m fees.