Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I’ve said for weeks that our home tactics are woeful. Swansea are comfortably the worst side I’ve seen up here this season. They sat of us and regardless of our own deficiencies we should have had enough to have put that game to

bed by half time. Our home form will get us into big trouble. I can’t stress how bad Swansea were

Swansea were comfortably the better side for large parts of the second half and to take Shelvey off and leave diame on was just baffling

Wish he’d send a team out and tell them to fly into the opposition. I know it goes against everything he is and stands for but it’s so frustrating and it happens far too often, especially at home, it’s too defensive, negative and conservative and it virtually negates having home advantage in the first f***ing place. 3 home wins is dreadful given it’s the middle of January. Another 2 points dropped which piles even more pressure on the away fixtures. Yay.

We created more than enough chances in the first half for the game to have been put to bed though. Agree that the second half was poor but there was not much wrong with our initial approach imo.

Agreed. Needs to answer questions about the lack of urgency after equalising though.

Similar to Stoke really in that we made enough chances but didn't bury them. Stoke failed to punish us.

Rafa can't make the shit he's got stop missing decent chances really, at some point it's up to the players.

Second half was largely shit mind. Murphy should have come on 100%.

Guest Howaythetoon

First half spot on, second half shocking. How we can go from pressing high, playing with tempo and creating chances to sitting back, inviting the, onto us and basically after going level playing for a draw at home is nonsense. Not happy at all with that because Swansea were garbage, utter garbage and there for the taking. I know we missed chances in the first half and could have went in 1 or more up, but you cannot excuse that second half performance. Sorry Rafa. I love you, but this nonsense at home has to stop.

It’s all good and well telling fans to stick with the players and get behind them... but when your Captain tells your keeper to hold onto the ball and then bollocks him for wanting to release it quick, this is not what paying fans want to see. Not when the 3 points are so vital and the game is well into the final stages.

And our full-backs are clearly instructed not to get too far forward which means when Atsu for example gets on the ball he has two options, try and run at his man or play it back or sideways. Same with Ritchie really. There is almost never an option to play the full-back in or for the full-back to go ahead and take away a player so the man on the ball can move or do something. Awful awful tactics at home.

Don't agree with that about the fullbacks like, Yedlin is often one of our best attacking outlets and was so far up the pitch he was caught offside today. Dummett obviously is less potent but even so he missed a presentable chance to score from inside the penalty area.

They had players to bring on and try and win it, we didn't. Don't think we sat back so much as we were pushed back, another 10 minutes and we would've lost imo.

Rafa is trying to keep a Championship team in the Premier League, think we would be sunk already without him.

Unless he wasn't fit to play a part, Murphy should have been given time to drive at them. To not even use our final sub suggests we were happy with the point.

Could it be politics? We all know Ashley gambles on us surviving - if we got three points where we would be tenth?  That's Ashley in dreamland and zero chance of funds being provided. 

They had players to bring on and try and win it, we didn't. Don't think we sat back so much as we were pushed back, another 10 minutes and we would've lost imo.

Rafa is trying to keep a Championship team in the Premier League, think we would be sunk already without him.

Unless he wasn't fit to play a part, Murphy should have been given time to drive at them. To not even use our final sub suggests we were happy with the point.

Could it be politics? We all know Ashley gambles on us surviving - if we got three points where we would be tenth?  That's Ashley in dreamland and zero chance of funds being provided.

If it was, he can fuck off doing that. Save it for his press conferences.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't agree with that about the fullbacks like, Yedlin is often one of our best attacking outlets and was so far up the pitch he was caught offside today. Dummett obviously is less potent but even so he missed a presentable chance to score from inside the penalty area.

Yedlin broke forward past Ritchie and into their very final 3rd a few times, looking threatening, but in general he basically held his line and at times Rafa was clearly instructing him to do so, same with Dummet in the first half who actually had a solid game desfensively and should have at least tested the keeper with a shot which went over, but his attacking play is non existent. Doesn’t help when he’s instructed not to get too far advanced...

I don't understand why he changed anything from Stoke tbh, i felt like Perez-Atsu-Ritchie-Murphy as a front 4 worked well against Stoke. I personally would have stuck with it, until we get better CFs we need as much mobility, work rate, pace etc etc in the team as possible.

Yedlin broke forward past Ritchie and into their very final 3rd a few times, looking threatening, but in general he basically held his line and at times Rafa was clearly instructing him to do so, same with Dummet in the first half who actually had a solid game desfensively and should have at least tested the keeper with a shot which went over, but his attacking play is non existent. Doesn’t help when he’s instructed not to get too far advanced...

Well I would tell Dummett the same tbh. Apart from that you've just rewritten my post. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Well I would tell Dummett the same tbh. Apart from that you've just rewritten my post. :lol:

I wouldn’t, Atsu was constantly frustrated today. He flicked the ball onto Dummet at one point who basically just stopped and then Atsu had to re run onto the ball he played in for Dummet. Eventually getting tackled. Yedlin who has bags of lace and energy had many opportunities to get further forward and didn’t and that’s because it’s an instruction and tactic. All it does is render our football kind of systematic and slow paced. No room for fluency or off the cuff stuff which in games like this, is gonna prove the difference. Or not...

Absolute nonsense

Guest reefatoon

I’ll never warm to this style of football at home, no matter who’s in charge or  how good he is. Conceding the largest amount of possession and looking to catch teams on the break is all fine and well away from home, but at home and against the worst team in the league just smacks of cowardice. We really need to start playing like the home team and dictating the play with the ball. Instead of trying to keep it tight and nick it every f***ing time. Just can’t get into that kind of s*** at home like. Boring as f***.

Guest firetotheworks

Rafa out. Fucking utter rubbish.

To think that poor Neesy was nominated for Worst Football Poster ahead of this relentless mong lord.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa out. f***ing utter rubbish.

To think that poor Neesy was nominated for Worst Football Poster ahead of this relentless mong lord.

Absolute disgrace about Neesy that by the way. I don’t agree with Crumpy Gunt most of the time, but I’d put many ahead of him as worst poster or one of the worst.

Myself included at times :lol:

Swansea were awful under any kind of pressure today. They surrendered  possession continuously in the first half, that McBurnie wouldn’t get a game in a 4th Division Sunday League side.

As much as I believe Rafa is the right man and pivotal to any takeover I can’t get my head around the fact that at HT he failed to get the team out in the 2nd half to win that game. I can only take out of it that Carvalho decided not to sit as far back and we simply retreated.

Swansea really were as bad as any side I saw last year; I’ll except Ayew out that, put him in our side and we would have won. Our home form is nothing short of a disgrace.

Swansea were awful under any kind of pressure today. They surrendered  possession continuously in the first half, that McBurnie wouldn’t get a game in a 4th Division Sunday League side.

As much as I believe Rafa is the right man and pivotal to any takeover I can’t get my head around the fact that at HT he failed to get the team out in the 2nd half to win that game. I can only take out of it that Carvalho decided not to sit as far back and we simply retreated.

Swansea really were as bad as any side I saw last year; I’ll except Ayew out that, put him in our side and we would have won. Our home form is nothing short of a disgrace.

Mawson was very good today tbf.