Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

i was thinking about this yesterday, if he stays a few years and we make some nice progress, god forbid win a cup or something, i'll have more fondness for him than any before him in my supporting time, i'm not far away from that now tbph

i think the difference is i wasn't around to directly experience the pre-keegan years so there's no context for me about where we were to where we went to some degree...with rafa pardew had actually broken me, i borderline hated football and certainly couldn't have cared less about NUFC until he came along

he's also done the one thing i've been moaning about for years with top managers at their peak - instead of continuing on the gravy train buying cups and titles he's went and challenged himself, probably to an extent he didn't think he'd have to, yet he's come through it and it's quite clear that given sufficient backing he'll be able to put together a very decent PL outfit and probably get us back into europe

tldr in short  :love: :love:

I don't think I'll ever have the emotional connection we had with Keegan, everything about him lit the club up. But purely as a manager, Rafa is in a different class to anyone I've seen here. Even with players who aren't good enough to do much more than survive, he's still managed to make them look like an organised unit playing impressive stuff at times. No doubt in my mind he will win a trophy given some proper backing.

i was thinking about this yesterday, if he stays a few years and we make some nice progress, god forbid win a cup or something, i'll have more fondness for him than any before him in my supporting time, i'm not far away from that now tbph

i think the difference is i wasn't around to directly experience the pre-keegan years so there's no context for me about where we were to where we went to some degree...with rafa pardew had actually broken me, i borderline hated football and certainly couldn't have cared less about NUFC until he came along

he's also done the one thing i've been moaning about for years with top managers at their peak - instead of continuing on the gravy train buying cups and titles he's went and challenged himself, probably to an extent he didn't think he'd have to, yet he's come through it and it's quite clear that given sufficient backing he'll be able to put together a very decent PL outfit and probably get us back into europe

tldr in short  :love: :love:

I don't think I'll ever have the emotional connection we had with Keegan, everything about him lit the club up. But purely as a manager, Rafa is in a different class to anyone I've seen here. Even with players who aren't good enough to do much more than survive, he's still managed to make them look like an organised unit playing impressive stuff at times. No doubt in my mind he will win a trophy given some proper backing.

robson is somewhere in between them both i guess, he had the success and trophies but was obviously not in the prime of his career when we got him, that's the mental thing about rafa...he's got years left in him man, and he's fucking class

haha i should have written this from the 365 post

"All hail Rafa

For some time now managers like Guardiola and Mourinho have often had their achievements queried due to the resources at their disposal. The main argument made is how good would they be dropping down a division, or managing a club with fewer opportunities.

One multiple title winning manager (two time league winner and Champions League) has done just that. The chairman has scant regard for the supporters or heritage of the club. He has even less regard for the employees of his bargain basement empire. The players have often been referred to as Championship level and yet Rafa Benitez has Newcastle not only safe but comfortably so.

I’m not a particular fan of his, nor do I give much of a toss about Newcastle – I’m neither here nor there on both, but Benitez has done precisely what is often wondered of the aforementioned, and proven his credentials as a very astute tactician. Fact.

Dan Mallerman"

Remember when we went for seemingly years without coming from behind to win a match? Done it twice this season alone.

Last time we did it at home in the PL was Pardew's last game :anguish:

Before yesterday obv

Next season is either gonna be amazing or fucking horrible I feel. It all depends on Rafa being backed or not, and he wont stay unless he's backed properly this time I reckon. If Rafa goes then I'm out. Pray to God that we get bought by some ambitious people because I just can't see Ashley backing Rafa. If he was to leave there would be chaos again and we'd easily get relegated again.

Also, Happy Birthday husband.

Give him £80m and money from player sales and we are laughing

Yep. :thup:

Fucking Ashley though, although I hate reading/spreading pessimism in times like this when the team is playing so well, Robster is right when he says Ashley isn't suddenly going to change.

As ever, the worry will be Ashley looking at what Rafa has done with no money and just thinking, go ahead and do it again, you didn't need it last time.

We need Ashley gone obviously to fulfill any heights Rafa might takes us too.

Let's be honest it's Pep and it's not close.

I don't care how much money they spent(especially considering only really Walker and Ederson actually impacted their results) that isn't a big enough reason to explain the difference from last year to this.

Rafa has been amazing though and he should be 2nd or 3rd on anybodies list.

Fucking Ashley though, although I hate reading/spreading pessimism in times like this when the team is playing so well, Robster is right when he says Ashley isn't suddenly going to change.

I think the £80m will be there from the tv money, just not sure how far it will stretch with Ashley's tendency to make that cover the wages as well. So in reality it might be £40-50m. This is always going to be the problem with him as the owner, nothing's ever what it seems.

I hate being so pessimistic too, but I can remember the feeling of crushing disappointment on the night i logged on to see that the takeover had fallen though. I was completely flattened by it.

I cant be faced with that level of disappointment again so am telling myself to enjoy these moments but to ultimately to expect the worst from Ashley.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ve been quite critical of Rafa at times this season and on reflection he’s making myself and other critics look like the fools we are or were for questioning him.

Since the turn of the year we have been outstanding at times and in general pretty good and while the new players have obviously played a major role, especially the ‘keeper and Kennedy, what I’ve noticed since the new year is that the team are better at playing the way Rafa wants them to and is coaching them to. As a team and as individuals. Diame and Shelvey for example.

Coaching takes time to work, especially when a lot of the coaching is also man to man or in segments (defence/midfield/attack etc.) which is how Rafa also likes to work, see recent comments from Shelvey at the weekend for example.

I’m also sure the personal trainer Diame is using is down to Rafa’s input too.

The players are now comfortable and trust themselves, despite our lack of possession at times, the players are starting to express themselves now.

Against Arsenal we saw this Rafa team at its best for me. Confident, composed, trusting themselves, organised, a threat and at times a joy to watch. We didn’t panic after going a goal down, we limited Arsenal to snap chances or rushed attacks and the number of times they went back towards their own centre backs or ‘keeper was amazing to see, based on our pressing, closing down of space and simply by being organised.

Rafa is easily the best coach in the league along with Guardiola and by that I mean in terms of coaching the players and team.

To potentialy finish in the top ten with essentially a Championship team will be a great achievement.

I really enjoyed watching us off the ball against Arsenal. I loved how every player knew what to do and when, defending and attacking. We haven’t seen that for a long long time, not even under KK and Sir Bobby whose teams played with more abondon and flair shall we say making them more open and prone to mistakes and individual errors.

We’ve stopped hoofing the ball aimlessley, players have stopped playing into themselves or in a withdrawn mode. Shelvey looks a totally different player as does Diame and Perez is playing with magic in his boots seemingly.

Dummett looks a transformed player. I get the impression our players actually like a tackle and quite like defending, enjoying it even, from the front man to the ‘keeper.

That’s what a world-class manager and more so coach does and Rafa is a world-class manager.

Now back him Ashley or move aside to someone or others who will because he deserves it, we deserve it and if so there is no telling what can be achieved.

Happy birthday Rafa, sorry for ever doubting you.  :smitten: