Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I've convinced myself he's staying :lol: :lol:

It's like that Luke Edwards line from the other day: he's looking for any excuse to stay, rather than a reason to leave.

He sees potential, he reciprocates the love and knows that if he outlasts Ashley he can do something special here. I just can't see any other Premier League jobs for him.

Imagine if he could add a couple of proper wing backs to this system? Jesus, we'd look a revelation from the promotion team.

What a guy he is. Total genius.

One of your posts after we drew at Southampton in October and everything about the club was miserable as fuck:

I genuinely believe Rafa will find us a small run of victories this side of Xmas but fuck knows if that'll be enough.

3 wins in a row for Brighton is effectively 25% of the way to survival in 3 game weeks. We need that. Now.

Correct, and we actually won the 3 games following that draw at Southampton.

There are a few fundamental problems with this football team imho.

1) Nobody to score goals which is a major fuck up.

2) Both full backs give us fuck all in the final third.

3) There is no playmaker sitting in the final third.

4 new signings and we'd be revolutionised. Not that it'll happen.

We've got the bold and one of those 4 signings in Almiron, as I agree that 3 more good signings that Rafa is allowed to spend decent/good money on and we'd be revolutionised. But as we all know, the fat leopard never changes his spots, though Rafa's mood seems to have changed tenfold. It's unrecognisable to when he was saying we'd need to be hoping that there was going to be 3 teams worse than us (no word of a lie, he actually said that earlier in the season). Plus we never thought we'd pay the money for Almiron or pay the money for anyone for that matter. But still, that fat lying bastard lingers like a bad smell.

Imagine if he could add a couple of proper wing backs to this system? Jesus, we'd look a revelation from the promotion team.

If Benitez stays I would like us to try and sign N'Soki again in the summer.

One of your posts after we drew at Southampton in October and everything about the club was miserable as fuck:

I genuinely believe Rafa will find us a small run of victories this side of Xmas but fuck knows if that'll be enough.

3 wins in a row for Brighton is effectively 25% of the way to survival in 3 game weeks. We need that. Now.

Correct, and we actually won the 3 games following that draw at Southampton.

There are a few fundamental problems with this football team imho.

1) Nobody to score goals which is a major fuck up.

2) Both full backs give us fuck all in the final third.

3) There is no playmaker sitting in the final third.

4 new signings and we'd be revolutionised. Not that it'll happen.

We've got the bold and one of those 4 signings in Almiron, as I agree that 3 more good signings that Rafa is allowed to spend decent/good money on and we'd be revolutionised. But as we all know, the fat leopard never changes his spots, though Rafa's mood seems to have changed tenfold. It's unrecognisable to when he was saying we'd need to be hoping that there was going to be 3 teams worse than us (no word of a lie, he actually said that earlier in the season). Plus we never thought we'd pay the money for Almiron or pay the money for anyone for that matter. But still, that fat lying bastard lingers like a bad smell.

Not gonna lie, I thought as was about to get rinsed there when I saw it was one of my old posts :lol: :lol: :lol:.

I've got a long held view that our full backs have been a big part of the problem for us under Rafa. They're not awful individually per say but when you only play one up top, you've got to service him well, and they barely ever contribute to direct assists.

I'd happily keep them as squad players but two top end, or even top emerging talent like that N'Soki kid from PSG, would be a massive step and I think it'll be the next thing Rafa concentrates on if he stays.

I have to say, this new system is so impressive. We just look so comfortable, there's always an option when we're in possession, we've got loads of time on the ball and we're randomly more solid defensively but creating more offensively.

He's some guy Rafa.

If Benitez stays I would like us to try and sign N'Soki again in the summer.

:lol: Genuinely didn't read this before I started my reply to Haydn saying the same thing :lol:.

Out of interest, do you think it's always been Rafa's intention or long term plan to play this 3CB system or do you think he's just working with what he's got and he's stumbled upon it? Well, not stumbled upon as the bloke probaby prepares his breakfast menu eight months in advance, but you know he's tested it and it's worked rather than it's always been the masterplan.

Does that make any sense or am I just babbling utter shite to myself?

FWIW, his signings would indicate that he'd maybe had it planned all along imho but then why wait to now?

He brought it in when we lost Diame/Shelvey/Ki, right?

Out of interest, do you think it's always been Rafa's intention or long term plan to play this 3CB system or do you think he's just working with what he's got and he's stumbled upon it? Well, not stumbled upon as the bloke probaby prepares his breakfast menu eight months in advance, but you know he's tested it and it's worked rather than it's always been the masterplan.

Does that make any sense or am I just babbling utter s**** to myself?

FWIW, his signings would indicate that he'd maybe had it planned all along imho but then why wait to now?

I think he wants the squad to be tactically flexible and it just so happens we have the players to make the 3 at the back system work better than 4-2-3-1 at the moment. He has been trying 3 at the back since the Championship season, but it has never really worked when it was used. If he stays and gets the players he wants he might go back to 4-2-3-1 again, but its great we now look comfortable in two systems.

Was brought in for Burnley away I think. He changed it back for West Ham (h) and we got slapped due to them constantly getting in behind and he reverted back and we've not changed it since. It's versatile as we can defend well and deeper with a 5 rendering us hard to break down and for when we need to boss the ball a bit more, ie last night and Saturday, we can got to a 3-4-2-1 almost. As you say, better full backs and despite he's been doing well, a better midfielder than Hayden that will improve our transition and we're top half easily.

I think it's partially out of necessity for the players he has, partially as a reaction to the trend which is towards 3 at the back (3-4-3 is a system very suited to playing against Rafas usual 4-2-3-1 as it overloads the wings and bypasses the 2 defensive mids albeit at expense of some midfield control usually). I think it was a way around how dependent we were on Shelvey, Schar and Lejeune are providing creativity from the back with this and are freer to do so with Lascelles there too. It also pushes up the full backs and gets more opportunities to get the ball to Rondon.

I think one of the reasons it works so well is that Rafa has the defense so well drilled that when there is a high press against us we are happy to drop deeper and play on the counter, a  lot of the 3-4-3-s I've seen in the league are very aggressive, we can turn it into a 5-3-2 and clog up the game and hit on the break and then push more, it has a flexibility.

Rafa's dabbled with 3-5-2 the odd time, including as far back as the Championship season I think (though that might have been in cup games), so he's always had it in his pocket.

With Rondon up there we need to get the most of our wide areas, and that's what instigated the move imo. Then with the performances of Schar and - tbf - Atsu, who really seemed to enjoy that role in a two off Rondon, it became clear that it was our best formation. I love it tbh, it's so balanced and organised but dynamic as well. It suits so many of our players, not a single square peg.

Good question - do we think we would have seen the 3 centre backs earlier had Lejeune been fit? I feel like we would have - that injury really fucked things up for us IMO - we tried to get that Brazilian guy at Barca, which fell apart due to work permit and then Rafa went for the all-around workhouse in Fede late. I think he HAD to wait as long as possible, for it because he didn't have his 2 ball players (?)

I think with Shelvey been out it’s twisted his arm to stick with it otherwise he’d have gone back to previous.

Thankfully it suits us well and assuming Rondon stays wouldn’t take much that much spend to vastly improve on. Wing backs and a Hayden upgrade.

Can't get over how good some of his transfer business has been like, especially when that was the biggest criticism of his time at Liverpool. Dubravka, Schar and Lejeune have all been extraordinary signings in this market.

His transfer record was very good for us also. Dont base on your opinion on the British media which was full of PFM acolytes ready to stick their boots in at every opportunity.

Kuyt, Garcia, Reina, Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Arbeloa - great players who made significant contributions and many of them were sold at big profits.  He revamped the youth system and made some canny purchases there also - Sterling ( sold for 50 million), Ibe (sold for 15 million), Brad Smith (sold for 7 million). Several others who made useful contributions to the first team squad and later were sold for million here and there.

He was not perfect and did have his duds (particularly at fullbacks) but his transfer record was above average.

The only criticism I would have on Rafa is his ability to spend money on random dogshit fullbacks - Josemi, Kronkamp, Dossena, Degen.

He did strike gold with Arbeloa. But I think he purchased Arbeloa because he was playing as a central defender for Deportivo and not as a fullback

Johnson was an OK purchase but we did spend quite a bit of money on him at that time.

I'm not looking back for them, but I would like to retract any posts I may have made six months ago or earlier suggesting 4-2-3-1 was Rafa's system, what he knew and what he played.

I reckon other posters will feel the same.

It's just another example of what makes Rafa a world class manager. Switching to a completely different system and still having the players more organised than the majority of other teams in the league.

He's definitely bought players with flexibility in mind, we have 5 first team quality CB's.

Clark in a two I reckon would struggle, but as the left centre-back in a back three I think he’s good cover.

Depends on his defensive partner. He is at least competent alongside Lascelles, it has a negative impact on the team as a whole though, as we end up more dependant upon the defending of the full -backs, Dummett isn't a problem, but Yedlin often let's us down. TBPH though, there should never be a reason to have a defensive 2 of Clark and anybody. Discounting disaster.

It's just another example of what makes Rafa a world class manager. Switching to a completely different system and still having the players more organised than the majority of other teams in the league.

He's definitely bought players with flexibility in mind, we have 5 first team quality CB's.

Dummett can play left centre back too.