Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

While Rafa would immensely improve Leicester and have them top 8, fighting for 6th each season, I can't see Leicester fans being overly impressed with his style of play and would view themselves as deserving of better, still thinking they're potential title/CL challengers.

You’d think Leicester would be perfect and is the best job he could just walk into. He’ll get plenty money to spend there with a good team already.

Aye but Rafa could have easily packed his bags and gone to West Ham to spend over £100million last summer for a similar project to Leicester, but didn’t.

He will feel he is building something good here with the 3-4-2-1 system with his ball players Lejuene And Schar at the back with Longstaff coming through in midfield and the Latin trio of Almiron, Perez and Rondon upfront.

As long as we don’t TOTALLY p*ss him off in the summer over an extension then we will have a good chance of keeping him.

I honestly think it would take a lot for him to leave more than people think, the fact he could have went to West Ham shows that apparently has had offers from China too.

You’d think Leicester would be perfect and is the best job he could just walk into. He’ll get plenty money to spend there with a good team already.

Aye but Rafa could have easily packed his bags and gone to West Ham to spend over £100million last summer for a similar project to Leicester, but didn’t.

He will feel he is building something good here with the 3-4-2-1 system with his ball players Lejuene And Schar at the back with Longstaff coming through in midfield and the Latin trio of Almiron, Perez and Rondon upfront.

As long as we don’t TOTALLY p*ss him off in the summer over an extension then we will have a good chance of keeping him.

I honestly think it would take a lot for him to leave more than people think, the fact he could have went to West Ham shows that apparently has had offers from China too.

You're referring to a comparison made two windows ago though - a lot has changed. He is building something great with what he has but he's shackled. We'll see whether they have the foresight to trust the guy better.

Sorry, I meant for Rodgers.

While Rafa would immensely improve Leicester and have them top 8, fighting for 6th each season, I can't see Leicester fans being overly impressed with his style of play and would view themselves as deserving of better, still thinking they're potential title/CL challengers.

Going by their forum, they don't want him.

One thing that occured to me recently is how he's the only manager to have successfully implemented a 5 at the back at NUFC. How many managers have tried this in the past? Even SBR tried it unsuccessfully. Rafa's recruited the sort of players who have made this work (ball-playing defenders), and now it seems like this is the system he's settled on. Absolute genius.

can see a one year extension personally

Don't see why he'd bother. If hes not going to get what he needs he has no reason for a relegation fight yet again for another year.

It would take a pretty dramatic change of transfer policy in the summer to keep Rafa here IMO. You do wonder if he would think it is worth the bother going to Leicester as they aren't exactly top level either, but it's close to his family home so he might take it over a more glamorous club.

One thing that occured to me recently is how he's the only manager to have successfully implemented a 5 at the back at NUFC. How many managers have tried this in the past? Even SBR tried it unsuccessfully. Rafa's recruited the sort of players who have made this work (ball-playing defenders), and now it seems like this is the system he's settled on. Absolute genius.

Remember when some people said he was too tactically stubborn to move away from using 4-2-3-1?

Remember when some people said he was too tactically stubborn to move away from using 4-2-3-1?

:lol: The amount of stuff thrown at Rafa in his time here, not just from our own fans but the media and other clubs' fans, I'm surprised he's not walked. I had one of those "are you fucking kidding me" moments watching the cup final over the weekend. Every pundit was licking Sarri's nuts for parking the bus against City. Even John Terry was all "oh yeah, great job keeping City at bay and goalless!" While Rafa got absolute pelters for doing the same thing.

:lol: The amount of stuff thrown at Rafa in his time here, not just from our own fans but the media and other clubs' fans, I'm surprised he's not walked. I had one of those "are you fucking kidding me" moments watching the cup final over the weekend. Every pundit was licking Sarri's nuts for parking the bus against City. Even John Terry was all "oh yeah, great job keeping City at bay and goalless!" While Rafa got absolute pelters for doing the same thing.

Aye made me laugh how Chelsea got called “HEROIC” for producing 0 shots on target in 120 minutes of football with a team worth over £250million on the pitch :lol:

Meanwhile Rafa with his £30million team was demanded to go hit for hit with the Big boys just for Skysports and Jamie Redknapps sexual pleasure.

Put Man City vs Fulham on TV if you want to see self inflicted thumpings Rafa ain’t about that life :cool: :smug:

Fwiw i think Rafa would go back to 4-2-3-1 if he was allowed to buy who he wanted, it would look far better with players he knows who would be good in it at proper prices.

Imo Rafa has looked at things and thought where can i strengthen with the limited budget i got, 3-4-2-1 is what he's decided on as he managed to sign centre backs fairly cheaply in today's market, building from the back as all good managers do. Again just imo, you don't need to spend mental in the middle of the park as your creativity comes from your attacking midfielders which you can spend more money on.

None of that really matters if Fat Mike won't spend properly though  :lol:

Aye made me laugh how Chelsea got called “HEROIC” for producing 0 shots on target in 120 minutes of football with a team worth over £250million on the pitch :lol:

And yet Gary fucking Neville told us we were completely wrong to do it, it's infuriating to watch them say shit when other teams get praise for a certain way of playing and yet when it's us, it's criticism  :angryfire:

SBR had some of the shittest defenders going though. A lot of them left us and went further down the leagues or to Scotland.

SBR had some of the shittest defenders going though. A lot of them left us and went further down the leagues or to Scotland.

No doubt. Funnily enough, I think Rafa's probably spent less on defenders than SBR did :lol:

I'd be staggered if Rafa quits Newcastle for a club such as Leicester. Not his style. By all accounts, the two Daves at West Ham promised him the world to become their boss last summer, but he preferred working for Ashley just to stay here.

The way I see it, Rafa realizes how difficult it is to break into the Champions League and neither West Ham nor Leicester have the resources or the pedigree to finish top 4. Sure if the Chelsea, Arsenal, or Spurs jobs were available, he wouldn't think twice about it.

However, right now if the best options are the also-ran clubs that aim to finish seventh, he'd be better off building something at Newcastle. Also part of him, the masochistic and delusional part, probably relishes the battle against Ashley. I think he thrives on that conflict, much like Mourinho.

I think the Leicester job is a better fit for someone like Rodgers anyway, and it's certainly looking probable that they have already tapped him up. The green half of Glasgow would be devastated, I reckon.

Of course he'd be better off building something here, and that is what he wants but how long can he go on fighting for every penny to do anything? Will he ever get them to invest heavily in the academy? Probably not.  We've seen how pissed off he gets with the owner so often this season, i doubt he's willing to do it much longer.

The sad fact is,  'also ran clubs aiming to finish 7th' are more ambitious than us under Ashley.  I'll be surprised if one decent signing (which he had to wait a year for) is going to change his mind.  It's another attempt from Ashley to do the bare minimum to keep him.

Hope he stays, just think he's fuckin mental if he does.