Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Rafael Benítez tells Mike Ashley: ‘I want to compete for more than finishing 15th’

• Newcastle manager’s contract negotiations still unresolved

• ‘I used to compete for titles. The potential’s here,’ says Benítez

Rafael Benítez has reminded Mike Ashley of his enduring craving for trophies and suggested the time has come for Newcastle United’s owner to either buy into an ambitious blueprint or bid him farewell.

Benítez’s contract expires on 30 June and Newcastle’s manager will not renew it unless Ashley offers him autonomy over recruitment and the transfer budget needed to make the club competitive. “For me, the potential’s here,” said Benítez, whose team travel to Brighton on Saturday. “It’s a massive club, a massive city and the support’s massive.”

The Spaniard’s problem is that Ashley seems content with Premier League survival. “I used to compete for titles and I’d like to be sure we can compete against anyone,” the former Valencia, Liverpool, Internazionale, Chelsea, Napoli and Real Madrid coach said. “I’m not happy when you play against a top side and it’s a draw. When you’re used to winning, you want to keep doing it.

“But at the same time, I’m realistic. I understand each club has its own potential and has to decide what they want to do or can do; that’s fine. You can bring in another manager and then maybe he will be happy if they finish 15th. But I would like to compete for something more.”

The subtext is that the time has come for Ashley to make his mind up about the scale of his plans for Newcastle. “It’s just so simple to understand,” Benítez said. “I don’t want to push anyone, it’s just to be sure where we are. If we’re clear, we move forward. If we do the right things we can compete and try to be at least close to winning something.

“With the potential we have we can compete and we want to compete – or at least I want to compete – we want to be able to go into any game and try to win. I want to try to win trophies but you cannot compete in the cups when you’re at the bottom of the table, have a risk of two or three key players getting injured and don’t have the replacements.”

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/26/rafael-benitez-mike-ashley-newcastle

It's still under Ashley, but if Rafa signs on that to me indicates that Rafa has gotten contractual commitments that he believes are good enough to take the club forward, despite what Ashleys intentions or wishes are.

It would indicate to me that Rafa is naive. Ashley will go back on anything, even if it's in writing.

Possibly, but as long as Rafa has it in writing and signed, there's consequences for the club/Ashley not delivering what he's committed to so there's little risk for Rafa in that case. He can walk away on his terms if there's a breach of contract.

Whether he stays or not, it feels good not having a yes cunt talking down the club and telling us what we aren't or can't be, this and that is impossible and so on. Him coming out with stuff that we're a massive club and that we can compete with a bit of ambition and a smart longterm plan is good to hear. Feels like fans in general (not everyone) more or less have given up about the club, and I can't blame them (us) after suffering through this unambitious shit show and negative talk for so many years. Fans trust and have great belief in Rafa as a person as well as a top top quality manager. So maybe, just maybe people will finally wake up if he doesn't extend, maybe there could even be hell on. This might only be wishful thinking, but I would love it if like 90% of all fans just said enough is enough. Burn the club to the ground! Force Ashley to jump out of our burning fucking club. The depressing story of Nufc might have been going for too long, people in general just don't have the energy to stand up and fight.

Guest neesy111

Aye I would imagine he'll have something in writing that if Mike doesn't stick to the contract (ha!) then Rafa can walk away no strings.  He's not daft.

That will never happen.

Aye I would imagine he'll have something in writing that if Mike doesn't stick to the contract (ha!) then Rafa can walk away no strings.  He's not daft.

That will never happen.

I don't see how it work either, the club simply won't put something like that in.

I can see the club lowering his release fee, should he decided to leave.

That will never happen.

Which is why I don't expect him to stay.

Said it before but if I'm him, regardless of what's in the contract, I wouldn't sign anything longer tan a year. 

What I find remarkable is that a man of his talent is even considering meeting the cunts above him half way. If I had the man’s ability I’d tell Ashley to go fuck himself with his thumb cunt MD.