Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

can't put myself through another Pardew situation, life's too short ffs.

This. Although I’m also aware that an incoming manager can hugely benefit from the best practice of a predecessor, would generally last a season or so.

Think George Graham to David O’Leary as a prime example. There’s probably a few others which I can’t think off the top of my head right now.

My worry would be that public opinion would be “oh this guy isn’t bad at all” until he coaches all of Benitez’ ideas out.

Then we’d be in for a decade of cluelessness like we had before.

This. Although I’m also aware that an incoming manager can hugely benefit from the best practice of a predecessor, would generally last a season or so.

Think George Graham to David O’Leary as a prime example. There’s probably a few others which I can’t think off the top of my head right now.

My worry would be that public opinion would be “oh this guy isn’t bad at all” until he coaches all of Benitez’ ideas out.

Keegan to Dalgleish?

i find it far more likely we'll go into a massive nosedive if someone takes this squad over from rafa without significant additions

a lot of people aren't see how good the job he's doing is because he's still here doing it

You'd have to think we'd lose half a dozen of our best players, who would then be inadequately replaced. Rock bottom with a record points low isn't improbable.

i find it far more likely we'll go into a massive nosedive if someone takes this squad over from rafa without significant additions

a lot of people aren't see how good the job he's doing is because he's still here doing it

You'd have to think we'd lose half a dozen of our best players, who would then be inadequately replaced. Rock bottom with a record points low isn't improbable.

aye it'll be an absolute shitshow imo

I think when Rafa first came he thought he could eventually get us in the champions league and challenging for the title like the Keegan and Robson days, i don't think he realised how ambitionless and just how much of a t*** Mike Ashley was.

I think he has had to lower his ambition because of that but he clearly loves the job and the area etc and will still stay if we can at least be comfortable in mid table looking up to 7th rather than the bottom half, it means he can at least have a proper go at the cups.

Whether Ashley will even sanction enough money for that is another matter, probably not.

It's either Rafa with expectations slightly lowered or some absolute berk like Mark Hughes, in which case i'd want us to lose every game until Ashley has gone.

Ashley still here is s*** full stop but Benitez is the only beacon of light and i don't want to want my club to lose every week, but it looks like that's what will happen as it stands.

He should confirm it's not happening if it takes longer than the end of May really.

I reckon he will give the club a chance to show their ambition by making some major signings and doing it quickly rather than dragging it out over months as they usually do. His contract is up at the end of June right? that gives them some leeway to show they mean business.

Obviously they won't, Ashley would rather have a puppet leader, but Rafa would rather stay given even the slightest encouragement that we mean to move forward. So I think he won't say anything publicly about leaving until it's obvious the club don't want him or his visions of grandeur.

I wouldn’t overplay his love for the club like - he respects the fans, the heritage and potential for sure and has affection but he’ll not martyr himself to be mugged off.

think he's already made that clear enough in the last couple of weeks

I wouldn’t overplay his love for the club like - he respects the fans, the heritage and potential for sure and has affection but he’ll not martyr himself to be mugged off.

Well yeah, in an ideal world he would like to stay I think this is the sort of club he would like to build, but he's also said that he wants to compete and he'll go somewhere else if we don't want to do that. He's not going to stay if our ambition is to avoid relegation again next season, don't think many are under any illusions about that.

Although I agree with you to a point, this squad is very well drilled I also agree with others that losing Rafa will destroy moral and we'll lose a lot of the better players we have. I have no doubt for example that Ayoze will be straight out the door with Rafa for a start. Couple that with the fact the club will sit on their arses and drag it out until August before hiring his replacement giving him no time to buy any players or get the team playing his way.

The whole situation is a recipe for disaster!