Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest firetotheworks

While Rafa is not totally blamless in it. I think it is clear that the 3 promotion teams and Swansea have notably weaker squads than the rest of the league and it's tantamount to the good work done by the 3 promoted teams they're clear of the bottom 3.

That said West Ham have the weakest structure as a whole as like us in 08/09 they're just a collection of name individuals on huge contracts with not a care in the world.

:thup: Was just thinking yesterday how West Ham seem have taken the Freddy Shepherd model of going for names, has-beens, never weres, injury prones, and bad attitudes. They did it under that Magnussen as well, you'd think Gold and Sullivan would have learned from it

Guest Howaythetoon

While Rafa is not totally blamless in it. I think it is clear that the 3 promotion teams and Swansea have notably weaker squads than the rest of the league and it's tantamount to the good work done by the 3 promoted teams they're clear of the bottom 3.

That said West Ham have the weakest structure as a whole as like us in 08/09 they're just a collection of name individuals on huge contracts with not a care in the world.

:thup: Was just thinking yesterday how West Ham seem have taken the Freddy Shepherd model of going for names, has-beens, never weres, injury prones, and bad attitudes. They did it under that Magnussen as well, you'd think Gold and Sullivan would have learned from it

Meanwhile clubs like Leicester and Southampton for example go about things sensibly. I can kind of see why WH have went down the route they have mind, they have that stadium to fill and they are playing catch up and wanting to get to where they want to be quickly. And then they go and hire Moyes :lol: I’d love a 7-0 thrashing or something today for them.

Guest firetotheworks

In all honesty, a 7-0 thrashing against Man City can happen to anyone if they fancy it. [emoji38] I do think they're in big trouble though.

I've seen a few comments saying we have the worst squad in the league.. is it really weaker than burnleys?

I think the Souness prem side was as bad if not worse.

Burnley are a unit, they play for each other. I think with some of the lads here now and the way they get isolated by Rafa it cant help unity. You would have to be very thick skinned and ultra diciplined to be managed like this. Mourinho is similar with his players. If you cant handle it get out. It must frustrate the life out of some lads though that sit on the bench for 3 months for 1 bad game, while another player has numerous bad games and still gets picked, I think that would be the signal its personal then?

No way. We had Shay Given, Nobby Solano, Bellamy, Robert, Shearer, Owen, Luque, Emre, Parker etc. That was a poor team in terms of performances, but it was mismanaged and badly so. Basically it’s failure was down to Souness. Every one of the players if fit and on form would walk into our team.

If you could compare this squad to any it would be Hughton’s promotion side, but it contained a few players that stood out and had a very good spine to it which we lack at the moment. The then Harper, Colo, Enrique, Tiote, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Nolan, Carroll and even Routledge and Shola would get into this side. Even some of the back up players would be better.

Sadly Pardew was given the best NUFC squad of players to work with under Ashley and he failed miserably. The then likes of Ba, Remy, Santon, Cabaye et al would transform our side today.

Think he meant the team from 06/07. Just look at our team that beat Spurs 2-3 at White Hart Lane: a back 4 of Ramage, Taylor, Huntington, Pattison. Sibierski up front.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've seen a few comments saying we have the worst squad in the league.. is it really weaker than burnleys?

Burnley are a unit, they play for each other. I think with some of the lads here now and the way they get isolated by Rafa it cant help unity. You would have to be very thick skinned and ultra diciplined to be managed like this. Mourinho is similar with his players. If you cant handle it get out. It must frustrate the life out of some lads though that sit on the bench for 3 months for 1 bad game, while another player has numerous bad games and still gets picked, I think that would be the signal its personal then?

No way. We had Shay Given, Nobby Solano, Bellamy, Robert, Shearer, Owen, Luque, Emre, Parker etc. That was a poor team in terms of performances, but it was mismanaged and badly so. Basically it’s failure was down to Souness. Every one of the players if fit and on form would walk into our team.

If you could compare this squad to any it would be Hughton’s promotion side, but it contained a few players that stood out and had a very good spine to it which we lack at the moment. The then Harper, Colo, Enrique, Tiote, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Nolan, Carroll and even Routledge and Shola would get into this side. Even some of the back up players would be better.

Sadly Pardew was given the best NUFC squad of players to work with under Ashley and he failed miserably. The then likes of Ba, Remy, Santon, Cabaye et al would transform our side today.

Think he meant the team from 06/07. Just look at our team that beat Spurs 2-3 at White Hart Lane: a back 4 of Ramage, Taylor, Huntington, Pattison. Sibierski up front.

Sibierski... scraping the barrel I know, but I’d have him up front over Perez or Joselu. Fuck I’d have Shola ahead of them two.

Sibierski... scraping the barrel I know, but I’d have him up front over Perez or Joselu. f*** I’d have Shola ahead of them two.

I'd have Gayle and Mitro ahead of them 4.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sibierski... scraping the barrel I know, but I’d have him up front over Perez or Joselu. f*** I’d have Shola ahead of them two.

I'd have Gayle and Mitro ahead of them 4.

Without a doubt.

“Rafa is s*** because he is stubborn and wont play 4-4-2”

*Rafa plays 4-4-2*

the same people...

“Rafa is s*** because he changes things”

“Mbemba has to play, Rafa is so stubborn”

*Mbemba plays*

the same people...

“Rafa should never have put Mbemba in”

:lol:

Some people will never be happy. We have a world class manager trying to get the most out of a Championship squad in the Premier League. We’re losing games based on individual mistakes rather than tactical problems, we cant drop the players making those mistakes, because the players behind them are even worse.

The same people ? I think you're going to have to name names here like cos I smells B.S..

When you look at the quality the likes of Southampton have to call on, especially in forward areas, it's puts in to perspective what we've done so far this season, considering they're only a couple points ahead of us. Honestly don't think any of our players would get into their side.

Guest neesy111

We've got 1 point from 6 games, the entire fan base is being remarkably calm given those circumstances. Rightly so too.

:thup:

Not sure about your argument HTT, we're have experimented a bit recently but that also coincided with quite a lot of injuries and a couple of really tough games. As well as Gayle returning, a player who Rafa didn't have to think about before but now has to play. Before that our team and our style of play was pretty much consistent. Shelvey deserved to be dropped and so did Yedlin.

Today we probably went for such an experimental system to combat Chelsea specifically, I'm pretty sure Rafa isn't planning to go to 3-5-2 permanently in any way.

I just think we were in a bad run of results, showed character against WBA and then were beaten by Chelsea which would happen even with peak Alex Ferguson in the dugout.

Rafa knows what he's doing, I don't agree with every decision but to paint it as some sort of mess or that he's lost the plot is just wrong.

I guess I’m just sick of the same old shit for want of a better word. Diame and Perez for example. If I’m Shelvey and see Diame starting ahead of me it would seriously demotivate me and to be honest that’s how he looked when he came on yesterday. Likewise if I’m Mitrovic and see Joselu start or Perez. Now I don’t rate either too highly, but both have shown at this level they are better players.

I believe we are a bit of a mess as well, we don’t create much and concede far too many goals. We don’t have a style either, for a brief spell when we beat Swansea, West Ham and Palace we looked a solid, functional, but limited team. We are not that team now and while defeats don’t help as it hampers confidence which breeds consistency, all of the tinkering and changes in tactics and roles for certain players is also a reason for that.

I’m all for dropping Ritchie for example, but do you know what, beggars can’t be choosers in many ways. Put simply we don’t have the squad depth/quality to just drop Yedlin for example or Shelvey, not when the options are Manquillo or Diame.

Forced changes I can live with, but yesterday was tinkering to the extreme. As for 3 at the back, I get that, but we were still over run in midfield so tactically Rafa got it wrong and has been getting it wrong for a while now.

I trust Rafa 100% and he does know what he’s doing, but I’m not so sure the players do and sometimes it really is a simple game where you pick your best 11, set them up in a style or way of playing, give it a run and see what happens.

He drops Lascelles and Gayle at the start of the season or early into the season, then Clarke. In comes Mbemba from the cold. Then Diame comes in. Atsu who was a bit part player last season comes in, Ritchie moves to the right, then the left. He is played at LB or left wing back. Perez isn’t a Number 10 but seems to be used as that type of player for us. Why even play a 10 if we don’t have anyone suited to that? Sorry, but there are serious question marks over the roles Rafa chooses for his players, some of his team selections and his tactics and it’s hurting not just the team, but individuals themselves. Again Mitrovic and Shelvey, two proven PL players albeit not at any great standard, get overlooked for the likes of Diame and Joselu.

For me Shelvey is a luxury player who needs space and time, playing him deeper gives you an outlet when he’s on the ball as he can put players through, but that requires him to also be more defensive and do more off the ball donkey work. We have Hayden who has the energy, athleticism and defensive mindset to do that kind of work so play Dhlevey further forward. Merino is not a work horse, he’s a beautiful player on the ball who can not only drive the team on with his ball carrying skills, but he can also link up play and I think can score goals further forward, same with Shelvey. Play all 3 Rafa. Stick with Gayle because he can nick goals. Or give Mitrovic a run and see what he can do with a combination of Atsu, Ritchie and Murphy on the flanks.

I guess I’m just frustrated watching how we play, how certain players are used and roles given. I’m on record saying I don’t like how we play under Rafa or his tactics, but again I trust him 100% with our club and the team because I do know when he tries something or picks this player over that player, it’s based on something and not just a whim or whatever as has often been the case from former managers.

Ultimately what we are seeing is a top manager working with a Championship team pretty much in the Premier League and survival is the goal and I’m backing him to achieve that. If we do get taken over and we start signing real top-class players I know performances and results will improve ten-fold because Rafa is a top manager so in that regard I’m very confident.

I’d personally like to see the following side put out on a regular basis when everyone is fit, injuries permitting:

Darlow

Yedlin Lascelles Clarke Dummett

Hayden

Murphy Shelvey Merino Atsu

Gayle

I’m not a huge fan of Dummett but he’s decent defensively and is good at keeping crosses out. I think Lejune is a good footballer, but Clarke is a better defender. I’m not a big fan of Shelvey either, but playing him further forward means he isn’t bogged down defensively and while he’s got a great range of long passing, he has shown he can play little one twos and neat 15-20 yard through balls etc. Playing Merino further forward also gets him away from being bogged down defensively. Hayden for me has the engine to play deep and cover and it’s not as if Merino or Shelvey can’t drop deep if need be. On the flanks I like pace and directness and Murphy and Atsu have that and they can stretch teams and drag centre-backs wide which can allow the likes of Merino to get in advanced forward positions to shoot and Shelvey more room to do his thing. I think of all, however Gayle would benefit the most. His hold up play and general battling impressed me yesterday against big strong defenders, but that’s not his game and never should be. He impresses more when he’s playing off the shoulder and making runs. He’s a decent finisher and would score the required goals needed if his role was simply to make runs and finish and not be some kind of back to goal centre-forward.

Anyway just my opinion and as Greg said... it’s not all simples!

That team doesn't look so different to the ones Rafa has been putting out, still only one striker, the main difference is that you'd have an extra midfielder instead of Perez. It's all very well saying this player and that player should be pushing further forward, but we've looked wide open defensively when we have pushed players up the pitch. It doesn't help that there's very little pace in the side so if you get caught up the pitch you are unlikely to get back to defend.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rafa-benitez-feels-the-strain-of-newcastles-deficiencies-29thmg9gl?shareToken=2de55f2390dd8e9ae26c3ed585351bd9

Rafa Benítez feels the strain of Newcastle’s deficiencies

George Caulkin, Northern Sports Correspondent

December 4 2017, 12:01am,

The Times

Benítez has repeatedly switched personnel and tactics as he struggles to find a formula that works

Rafa Benítez was not in an expansive mood, but defeat is the enemy of chit-chat. Newcastle United have lost five of their past six matches and won only once since mid-September. A team that was revelling in overachievement two months ago is now hunkering down into a familiar sense of restlessness.

Would January be a big month for Newcastle, Benítez was asked after his team’s loss at Stamford Bridge. “I have no idea,” the Spaniard said. Really? He did not know? “I have no idea,” he said. Because of the drawn-out uncertainty over the club’s prospective takeover? “I have no idea,” Benítez said.

Conversation, meet brick wall.

Newcastle are about where they should be in the Premier League, but their route to 14th place has been deflating. Momentum, whether good or ill, can be fierce on Tyneside, and the encouragement of those consecutive early-season victories over West Ham United, Swansea City and Stoke City, bolstered when Mike Ashley declared his intent to sell the club, has dissipated.

The agitation that Benítez felt during a long summer of missed opportunities in the transfer market had only been buried, not banished; he always suspected results would turn.

“We knew from day one that we will be in the bottom half of the league,” the manager said. “It’s not a surprise to anyone.”

Newcastle left themselves short, particularly up front, where Benítez scrabbled to bring in Joselu from Stoke for £5 million. It was never enough, not when there is no luxury of a go-to player; if any component of the team dips below its maximum, they will lose. They can carry not a scrap of excess flesh.

That was how it was at Chelsea. Newcastle grasped the lead through Dwight Gayle, but their energy was undermined by three defensive mistakes. They are not good enough to be anything other than 100 per cent. “Yes,” Benítez said. “That is very clear.”

Newcastle are again in limbo. If Amanda Staveley (or any other bidder), fails to buy the club, there will be more austerity next month.

If she succeeds — and Ashley’s muddled ownership, the division and incompetence, has long since run its course — Benítez will have a chance to regroup. Longer term, he is more likely to stay.

That tension is bubbling back, but in the meantime Newcastle need points from successive home games against Leicester City and Everton. “We can’t keep saying we are still OK in the table,” Ayoze Pérez said. “This is the moment to turn things around.”

Benítez constantly switches his personnel and tactics — there were five at the back at Chelsea — groping for a formula. Is he learning about his players during this difficult run?

“Yeah, we know a lot about our team,” Benítez said. “But at the same time we know about the other teams and still we can’t stop them.” In its own way, that was pretty brutal.

Burnley’s second choice keeper is better than our first.  Wood has 4 league goals from 9 starts.

Well drilled defence.  I like most of their midfielders. Tarkowski and Mee are better than all of our defenders sans lascelles based on this season.  Mee in particular is limited on the ball but he gets his head on the ball and gets his blocks in. Committed. A leader.  The whole team is like that. We have always had soft players.  We are like old Spurs in that regard.  A soft touch.

Burnley’s second choice keeper is better than our first.  Wood has 4 league goals from 9 starts.

Well drilled defence.  I like most of their midfielders. Tarkowski and Mee are better than all of our defenders sans lascelles based on this season.  Mee in particular is limited on the ball but he gets his head on the ball and gets his blocks in. Committed. A leader.  The whole team is like that. We have always had soft players.  We are like old Spurs in that regard.  A soft touch.

Burnley might not have big reputation players, but they all combine to make a very tough side to break down. They are a lot tougher mentally than some of our players, would agree with that.

Would January be a big month for Newcastle, Benítez was asked after his team’s loss at Stamford Bridge. “I have no idea,” the Spaniard said. Really? He did not know? “I have no idea,” he said. Because of the drawn-out uncertainty over the club’s prospective takeover? “I have no idea,” Benítez said.

Conversation, meet brick wall.

To me this sounds like Rafas expecting Ashley to still be here in January, or at least a lot less confident than he was a few weeks ago. He'd have just answered "we'll have to wait and see" or something with a knowing smile, whereas he now just seems angry. Maybe Mike's being a cunt in negotiations? Wouldn't be the first time.