Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Burnley is a football team 3/4 years in the making. We can't compare ourselves.

Every single last player at the club is a Dyche player and they understand and are capable of doing exactly what they want.

The goalies, Mbemba, Shelvey, the strikers - Rafa doesn't rate them much as  PL players. They might be good players or not but Rafa doesn't fancy them. This isn't a team Rafa would like.

Every single last player at the club is a Dyche player and they understand and are capable of doing exactly what they want.

The goalies, Mbemba, Shelvey, the strikers - Rafa doesn't rate them much as  PL players. They might be good players or not but Rafa doesn't fancy them. This isn't a team Rafa would like.

This is the point lots of people seem to overlook when comparing our team/squad to others. We've not even had the current manager all that long and yet in that time we've been relegated, promoted, have shit on his transfer intentions at least twice and are now up for sale. There's no consistency, no certainty and no clear direction for the club.

Building something worth keeping takes time.

This is the point lots of people seem to overlook when comparing our team/squad to others. We've not even had the current manager all that long and yet in that time we've been relegated, promoted, have s*** on his transfer intentions at least twice and are now up for sale. There's no consistency, no certainty and no clear direction for the club.

Building something worth keeping takes time.

Nobodys denying any of that but if we play two up front you'd think Mitrovic would be there, you'd think given Manquillo's performances then Mbemba would be back in, you'd think given Perez's performances then Merino would be given a go where he plays for his country's under 23's, you'd think that when that Watford wing back was given the freedom of St Jame's  something would be done to stop it even if it didn't work, just leaving things as they were was bizarre.

Rafa doen't have the players he wants but he may have to start thinking it may be better to play players who don't rigidly follow his orders instead of those that do but do it very poorlyor even come up with a game plan that suits the players.

He's tried virtually everything in the last six weeks.

Starting Mitrovic if playing two up front ? Playing Merino as a 10 if playing that way ? Playing Mbemba at left back when fit ?

He's tried everything within his own very narrow defines of using players who follow his instructions the most seemingly regardless of their performances.

Starting Mitrovic if playing two up front ? Playing Merino as a 10 if playing that way ? Playing Mbemba at left back when fit ?

He's tried everything within his own very narrow defines of using players who follow his instructions the most seemingly regardless of their performances.

Mbemba played left back at West Brom and was pretty poor iirc. Merino, Hayden and Shelvey haven't really been fit at the same time all that much

He doesn’t rate them. They need shifting and reinvested.

Mbemba has been at fault for conceding  In nearly every game he played. Goes down under minor pressure and I’m sure another time as well. 

Mbemba has been better at left back than Manquillo. He's by no means the answer but while thats what we haveyou have to pick the one that plays best.

He may not rate Mitrovic but I'm at a loss to see why he'd play Joselu instead of him in a two up front. He can't rate Joselu better based on what we've all saw.

Merino's been injured.

All season ?

I said the last six weeks.

Would you play Joselu and Gayle up front in a two given the squad we have ? Do you think Mbemba has been better at left back than Manquillo ? Do you think he allows tactics to go on too long when we can all see problems in games ? What do you think of his subs ?

Rafa hasn't tried everything and some of what he has has been bizarre.

Yes, probably, sometimes, mostly fine.

He's tried loads of things during this run but so far they haven't worked. You used to complain he didnt try anything, now you're complaining he didn't try quite the right things.

Yes, probably, sometimes, mostly fine.

He's tried loads of things during this run but so far they haven't worked. You used to complain he didnt try anything, now you're complaining he didn't try quite the right things.

Fair enough. I think if another manager was making those decisions you'd be going mental.

I know he's been sold short by Ashley and the squad is well short but think Rafa isn't using it to the best. Hey ho!

Burnley have better players than we do in core areas I'm afraid. Heaton, Pope, Defour, Brady, Cork even the likes of Jeff Hendrick. 

Chris Wood, Jonathan Walters, Sam Vokes, Ben Mee, James Tarkovski, Charlie Taylor - the list goes on.

Exactly.

They are an established PL side with a solid squad, we've just come up from the Championship, spent next to nowt in the Summer and suddenly we have better players than them.

Some people need to get a grip.

Their side is mostly made up of championship and football league signings. More recently they got players with prem experience but nothing to shout about in Bardsley Cork and Walters. Equally they lost two huge players for them in Michael Keane and Andre Gray.

They are nothing superior to us, they have just managed to make things click gritty determined and not afraid to play any sides big or small, the fact they are doing well is down to their manager and mental approach to games. Suddenly pretending to ourselves they are a team of world beaters is a bit far fetched, all This established premier league players, fair enough we spent a season out of the league when they had one extra, is it such a gap they opened in that time. Fucking hell at the start of the season if we went for Cork instead of Merino, and Walters, or Bardsley instead of other signings we would have had some moaning.

Florian Lejeune

Christian Atsu

Jacob Murphy

Javier Manquillo

Mikel Merino

Joselu

Their big buy was Wood who was championship top scorer.

We had a player who was on a similar tally carrying the same sort of goalscoring form up from the championship from the same season (Gayle). Their last season they just managed to survive with 40pts and close to the relegation.

I don't beleive us and Burnley are suddenly worlds apart. We just haven't managed to get it right with our new signings. Most of our championship side or if you put out our best championship side from last season would probably perform better. I cant see much in the new signings that made any drastic improvements.

Merino is a tidy player but lately this week and last week he has been responsible for two goals shipped. And his form is wank since he returned from injury.

Anyways fuck it I need to get a grip :lol:

I think this is a false equivalence, Burnley are a small club with limited attraction for top players. Dyche has done a great job of organising them, but in a way, his lack of funds has helped him. He's got a bunch of hard working players with solid temperament which is easily overlooked. We wouldn't want to be buying a lot of their signings if they were available at the time, and you could argue Dyche wouldn't want them either if he was at a bigger club.

Do they have a much better side than us or are things just going well for them at the moment?

I don't think their form is a fluke, they are a tough, well organised side. Note the emphasis on tough.

they have just managed to make things click gritty determined and not afraid to play any sides big or small

Pretty much said similar to that in the rant. So we agree there.

The argument stems from me questioning why we cant manage this with a side I personally don't see as worlds apart from Burnley and also we have the more decorated manager.

So are you saying our side is full of whimps?

I might guess Rafa is to technical and precise and overlay detailed. And we carry to many thick cunts that cant manage to play and think at the same time, and of course id say many are whimps. If we are talking tough players, then I could only include Lascelles and Matt Ritchie although things may seem to not be going well for Ritchie,he does take the game seriously not afraid to shout at others who are sloppy.(but his form lately is questionable)

I think we are better than what we are showing. Earlier in the season there didn't seem to be a massive issue. Like I said though he's trying stuff out and the players just dont seem to get it atm.

Maybe time to revert back to what he knows best.

Well I wouldn't put it like that, but it's the gist of it. I don't think he'd have bought Joselu or Manquillo given a proper budget for example. When you are shopping with limited funds, maybe some characteristics get overlooked because you need players in. Even Atsu and Jacobs could come into that category. We have a lot of players who are quite young, and still developing, I think they aren't going to shine under the pressure of trying to survive at a big club. I think we need bigger signings and the rest of the squad would probably benefit from it as well. Newcastle is a lot more high pressure than Burnley as well so that comparison isn't really fair.

Can't find it but I'm fairly certain it was said at a talk in recently that Mitrovic had bulked out too much because of some personal trainers that he'd decided to employ.